START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Abenn
Registered Users

Default BeastX all lights flashing

I've just installed a BeastX on my T-Rex 550, but am having a problem with programming it. My receiver is a Futaba R617FS, the BeastX is connected to it with the standard leads, as per the manual, and the receiver is temporarily powered by a 4-cell NiMh receiver battery. No servos are connected to the BeastX yet.

I went to chapter 5, Receiver Type Setup, by holding the button while powering the receiver. I was able to cycle between receiver types, as described in the manual, but when I wanted to save my configuration (Standard receiver, status light off) and move on to menu point B, all the LEDs A-N started flashing.

Is this simply because with Standard receiver I don't need to move on to menu point B -- the manual says I don't need menu point B, but there's no mention of all LEDs flashing?

Last edited by Abenn; 05-10-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Down Low
Registered Users

Mine will do that if there is no radio signal being detected when initializing, so powering up the heli with out the radio on. I am using Airtronics gear.
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Abenn
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. My transmitter's on, and my receiver is showing a steady green light, which means it's bound and receiving.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Down Low
Registered Users

I am really not sure, but perhaps the BX needs all the connections to be made? Rc, servos, everything. That doesn't really make sense though as you should be able to go in and set your servo frequencies and center pulse width before you plug the servos in... and of coarse do not move the heli at all while it is initializing. I'm sure you know that, just throwing it out there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
sircol
Registered Users

if you hold the button to long the beastx will go to factory default and a to n will flash
trex 500 stock ,trex 500 fbl (beastx ) , 500 scalies quads
sircol is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Abenn
Registered Users

Ok, I hope that's what it is, sircol, though the manual says I need to hold the button for 10 seconds (I didn't hold it that long), and the A-N leds flash sequentially, not in unison like mine do.

Anyway, I'll start going through the setup this afternoon, and see if it's doing what the book says it should.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
mtuccio
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post
Ok, I hope that's what it is, sircol, though the manual says I need to hold the button for 10 seconds (I didn't hold it that long), and the A-N leds flash sequentially, not in unison like mine do.

Anyway, I'll start going through the setup this afternoon, and see if it's doing what the book says it should.
I don't know what manual you have but the one I'm looking at states:
  • To change between the receiver types press and hold the button for about 2 seconds
It then goes to say:
  • Then press the button, but only briefly, to save the setup and switch to receiver menu point B
I don't see any mention of the 10 seconds you are referinbg to so you might want to go back and re-read the manual.

If you hold the button for 10 seconds like you have done you are just reseting the unit to factory defaults each time.

Hope this helps....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Abenn
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuccio View Post
... I don't see any mention of the 10 seconds you are referinbg to so you might want to go back and re-read the manual.

If you hold the button for 10 seconds like you have done you are just reseting the unit to factory defaults each time.

Hope this helps....
I was referring to sircol's comment that if I hold the button for too long it would do a factory reset, and pointing out that it needs 10 seconds to achieve that -- which is way longer than I was holding the button for. So we've got the same manual

Anyway, this afternoon I went into the setup procedure, after having double-checked that my Rx -> BeastX connections were correct, and connected my servos. The heli had already been set up mechanically, so all I had to do was shorten the main links by one turn to get exactly 0 degrees pitch in step J Teaching the cyclic pitch geometry, and change a couple of reverses on my trannie to get the swash moving correctly. The manual was a bit daunting at first, but I'm impressed how simple it turned out to be. Everything went just like the book says, so now all I have to do is dial in some expo and curves in my trannie, and wait for some good weather and some new blades

As for my flashing lights, I didn't bother to check that again, and I assume it was just an undocumented code telling me there's no more menu options when it's set for a Standard receiver.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Abenn
Registered Users

Default Success

Well, I finally got to maiden my T-Rex 550e with the BeastX installed. What an anticlimax -- she lifted off level and stable, and I hovered and moved around a bit, about 2ft off the ground, for five minutes. Some tuning to do, to get it flying exacly like I'm used to, but I'm sure that with careful reading of the manual I should be able to make the correct adjustments.

What a difference from the 3Gx which the heli came with, which I have been unable to successfully fly at all, and thanks to which I'm now an expert in replacing the front umbrella gears The 3Gx unit is going back to the local Align agent for a full health check (must be something wrong with it if the BeastX can work without having made any changes to the heli) before I put it on eBay.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Chris20
Registered Users

I hope mine goes that well. I just got the Beastx hooked up last night and honestly was very confusing at first. After going through all the steps though it became very clear on what to do. Actually quite simple to be honest. I will hopefully get to maiden mine this week sometime. Wish me luck.
Chris20 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Abenn
Registered Users

Yes, the manual is daunting at first. But when you realise it's just press the button, use rudder stick to select setting, press button, use rudder stick to select setting, press button ... etc. it's so easy.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support