Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
V200D03
Registered Users

Default My version of a slipper clutch on v200d03 heli...

I added a slipper clutch (basically modified it)...here's how I did mine. I used a fiber rod instead of a steel rod because it's very hard to find 2.5mm steel rod in my local machine shop or rc hobby shop. The fiber rod works as good. Instead of cutting a gap at both ends of the fiber rod...I drilled a small hole for the set screw head to sit on it. You can't really drill a big hole or cut a gap to fit the set screw because the fiber rod will chip or crack very easy. After that, insert the tail gear (the one on the right) to the fiber rod. As you know, it's a tight fit and that's what you want. It gives a strong friction or grip that will allow the tail blades to spin at high speed but will allow it to slip also when crash or tail blades hit the ground first. No need to put the fuel line in the middle. Added loctite to the set screws...done.

V200D03 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
vronny
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by V200D03 View Post
I added a slipper clutch (basically modified it)...here's how I did mine. I used a fiber rod instead of a steel rod because it's very hard to find 2.5mm steel rod in my local machine shop or rc hobby shop. The fiber rod works as good. Instead of cutting a gap at both ends of the fiber rod...I drilled a small hole for the set screw head to sit on it. You can't really drill a big hole or cut a gap to fit the set screw because the fiber rod will chip or crack very easy. After that, insert the tail gear (the one on the right) to the fiber rod. As you know, it's a tight fit and that's what you want. It gives a strong friction or grip that will allow the tail blades to spin at high speed but will allow it to slip also when crash or tail blades hit the ground first. No need to put the fuel line in the middle. Added loctite to the set screws...done.

The main shaft for the v120D02S is the same size as the CF rod you are using 2.5mm maybe that can be used.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
bvento
Registered Users

I made the same setup with CF rod....and yes you can notch the CF without it chipping or splitting if you use a fine file and take your time. Here's the problem though....once it slips a few times the gear and or the shaft change diameter then it will slip under a load. Happened to mine and I lost tail drive and pro into a bush lol which caused me to strip the main
bvento is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
V200D03
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvento View Post
I made the same setup with CF rod....and yes you can notch the CF without it chipping or splitting if you use a fine file and take your time. Here's the problem though....once it slips a few times the gear and or the shaft change diameter then it will slip under a load. Happened to mine and I lost tail drive and pro into a bush lol which caused me to strip the main
Thanks for tip on the fine file…will try it next time. Yeah…if it slips a few times, the gear and shaft definitely will change diameter. The idea is to have it slips quickly (say a couple seconds) during crash to prevent the tail gears from stripping. If it slips continuously…it will wear out that one gear for sure.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
V200D03
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
The main shaft for the v120D02S is the same size as the CF rod you are using 2.5mm maybe that can be used.
The v200d03 is the only heli I have at the moment. I'm already in another expensive hobby which I love most and probably will not get another heli. I will fly this one (v200d03) until I can't fly it any more then I'm done with this hobby. But who knows...I might end up switching hobby.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Benvk
Registered Users

Some fuel line or similar will help a lot. It's amazing how much it grips the gear and stops it spinning even after the hole in the gear wears a bit.
Benvk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
vronny
Registered Users

Maybe I have a spare shaft I'm not using that I could send u
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Benvk
Registered Users

Thanks but I've got enough 2.5mm metal and carbon rod to last a lifetime.

Still working on a slip clutch that you can adjust from completely locked to any amount of slip that you like.

Not as easy as it sounds though!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
V200D03
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvk View Post
Some fuel line or similar will help a lot. It's amazing how much it grips the gear and stops it spinning even after the hole in the gear wears a bit.
The bad thing about fuel line is it's too thick and it can easily strip the gear if it's tightly in place up against the gear.

Quote:

Still working on a slip clutch that you can adjust from completely locked to any amount of slip that you like.

I can't wait to see it before I fade away from this hobby...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Benvk
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by V200D03 View Post
The bad thing about fuel line is it's too thick and it can easily strip the gear if it's tightly in place up against the gear.
That's why I don't use fuel line and use the rubber sleeve from some power cable instead. It's not as thick and grips the shaft more tightly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3651.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	315225  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
bvento
Registered Users

Quote:

Lol so am I! Been playing around w sleeve with graphite powder, similar to a torque limiter...its a pain cuz if I had like 2.5mm more room between shaft and boom gear I'd be set! Lol maybe between the two of us we can figure this out
bvento is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support