Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
slipkid
Registered Users

Default How to get the fan housing off of the crankshaft?

Hi all,
I am in the process of putting a new engine in my Trex 700 after the OEM align 91 blew itself up. I am in the process of taking off the clutch and fan housing and have run into a stickler

I was able to pop the clutch disk off, and take the retaining nut off the crankshaft of the align, but the fan housing itself has proven a bit more stubborn. I did not build this 700 (or the other 2 I own ) ,so I don't know if it screws on ( like a YS fan I am familliar with) or collapses on via a collet. I removed the two allen heads that were on the housing and gently pried open the slits to help relieve the housing.

I first attempted to remove it by removing the backplate of the motor, jamming a toothbrush handle into the rod/crankcase to hold it ( poor man's piston stop ) and rotate the housing off. The housing would spin in either direction, but not unscrew itself (or get tighter for that matter), leaving me to beleive the was some other mechanism holding it on. I tried very gently prying it off and this did not work. Finally, in exasperation, I consulted a manual and it did not offer me any clue I could use as well

How in the heck do I get this thing off?

I would like to reuse it on another motor I am buying for it.

The shelled align motor is making a great conversation piece at the club - Not only did I burn a hole in the piston, but the piston itself broke a big piece from the top and the ring top is exposed over about 45 degrees - it is the most fascinating destruction I have seen - I will try to get a close up picture for all to enjoy.

Still trying to figure out how this occured - I normally run my engines riich and I always check my backplate at the end of every flight - usally warm - this time engine housing was very hot ( after an auto down on the deadstick) and I am completely replaceing the fuel tank/lines as the only thing I can think of is there was a significant air leak somewhere causing an extreme lean condition - Still had lots of smoke out the muffler though and I was only hovering -

Anyways, thanks to all who reply - Time for a new engine!
MCPX
slipkid is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
dchekas
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Remove the engine cylinder head, liner, and piston. All that should be in the engine is the crank shaft.

Place the engine on the EDGE of a table so that the exhaust flange is hanging off the table. This lets the engine sit flat on a table. Very important!

Now, you simply need to lightly tap the crankshaft out with a small hammer. A couple taps should get it out, and your fan hub will be off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dchekas is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
ualdrivr
Registered Users

I use the G-Force hub puller. Great tool and gets the fan hub off very easily excellent addition to your tool bag. If you get it, make sure you thread the bolts positively into the hub's threads, don't rush them in, go slow and thread both sides evenly.

http://www.gforceheli.com/item/Fan-H...for-600N700N-5

Hope this helps.

Team GrandRC

Last edited by ualdrivr; 05-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: added picture
ualdrivr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Glenn Goodlett
Registered Users

Also check Precisionhelitools.com, they have a nice adjustable fan hub puller.
Glenn Goodlett is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
chuckk
Registered Users

My HF Map location

go to your local automotive shop (auto zone, pep boys, wal-mart) and get a 3 jaw puller. its the right tool for the job and you can use it on other items in the future.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Haplo
Registered Users

Default Simplist solution

.. is to use heat gun, which should be in your tool box, a little oil, (Triflow or the such), which should be in your toolbox. Apply heat,oil, heat.. come off like butter. Works for all those stuck metal to metal applications.
Hope this helps.
Haplo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
CoolKD
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchekas View Post
Remove the engine cylinder head, liner, and piston. All that should be in the engine is the crank shaft.

Place the engine on the EDGE of a table so that the exhaust flange is hanging off the table. This lets the engine sit flat on a table. Very important!

Now, you simply need to lightly tap the crankshaft out with a small hammer. A couple taps should get it out, and your fan hub will be off.
+1
SAB Goblin 700Comp.
CoolKD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Dino Spadaccini
Registered Users

well if you do not have a puller you can try this

remove the piston and liner and back place from the motor

loosen the pinch bolts on the hub and remove the crank nut

now get a center punch and place in the divet in the crank hold the fan in one hand along with punch and tap the crank out of the motor a few good taps and it will come off.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.