Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Scorpion ESC and Motor Support

Scorpion ESC and Motor Support Scorpion Power Systems ESC and Motor Factory Support Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Vinger
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Soft start on Commander V Opto

Helped a fellow flyer out with setting up his Commander V Opto on a HV7 with an Align 700MX motor. Although we have programmed SS1 or 2 (makes no difference) the soft start is terrible. It nearly always ends up with blades folded (tightened as with all other 700's) and the heli jumping about 45 degrees.

Programming was done via the IR programmer with the acknowledge beeps and LED flashes. Anything alse we can do to get this better?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Azlum
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just ran into this same exact problem.

I went to maiden my Goblin which I had setup in SS2 this morning and it seemed like I had no soft start at all. Clicked out of throttle hold to a 50% flat normal curve to calibrate the governor and the thing started whipping around in circles from the torque. Luckily it didn't manage to break anything.

I just went back over the setup with the prog card and I can't seem to get any soft start.

Anyone know what to do?

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Vinger
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

That is exactly the symptoms we got. Also tried to do the 50% TC step in setting up the governor and it danced around. Georges PMed me about making sure that we were never at 100% throttle for longer than 10 seconds after programming or during programming as this resets the ESC to default settings. Although we were never near that, will try again this weekend and see what happens.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Azlum
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
That is exactly the symptoms we got. Also tried to do the 50% TC step in setting up the governor and it danced around. Georges PMed me about making sure that we were never at 100% throttle for longer than 10 seconds after programming or during programming as this resets the ESC to default settings. Although we were never near that, will try again this weekend and see what happens.
I figured out the problem with mine last night with the help of some friends...

What I learned is that my ESC was not accepting the commands from the program card. When you enter a command the motor is supposed to beep "di do", but mine was making a "do do do" tone instead.

The fix, was to hold the prog card less than 1" from the IR receiver, and aim it perfectly, and it started accepting my commands! I set SS2, rebooted the ESC, tried it again and soft start worked perfectly!

The easiest way to tell if it's accepting the commands is the LED. When you push SS it should turn to SOLID RED. When you then push "2" it should turn to SOLID YELLOW, and then when you push enter the motor should tone "DI DO".

Hope this helps you as well.

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Vinger
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Happy to report that it is all sorted, it was just a matter of understanding the EXACT programming sequence and thanks to Azlum and Georges for all the pointers. Happy campers now and the ESC is working flawlessly.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
JTAnimal
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Vinger, I am using the Commander with opto and Skookum 720 on a Goblin. at first i did not use any gov and i had soft start on, it seemed to work well. I was testing the RPM sensor in the SK to make sure it was working then i switched to external gov and soft start. now when i spool up it starts slow but all the sudden i get a burst of speed, then it calms down and seems normal. any ideas why? is this what yours was doing?

Trex 550 V-bar
Trex 600 pro V-bar with KDE upgrades
Goblin 700 V-bar
JTAnimal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
wangotaco
Registered Users

Hi JT,

I've seen the same thing. I tried for several days to get my sk720 working in external governor mode with the scorp 130 opto. I came to the conclusion that at the beginning you are running on the scorpion (the slow start), then, somehow, you flip over to external throttle control (the sk) and the speed changes. I haven't flown with it yet. My setup take 20-30 seconds to get between the initial mode and the sk mode. SOunds like you are seeing the same thing.

I am also seeing a v-curve like behavior once the sk takes over. When the collective is in the center, the rpms are what you set them at. When the stick goes positive or negative, the rpm goes up. It does this on my setup without the collective management checkbox selected.

I'm hoping to maiden mine tomorrow. The next thing to figure out is how to attach
a canopy to the chp 700 dl frame :-)

-g
wangotaco is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
JTAnimal
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangotaco View Post
Hi JT,

I've seen the same thing. I tried for several days to get my sk720 working in external governor mode with the scorp 130 opto. I came to the conclusion that at the beginning you are running on the scorpion (the slow start), then, somehow, you flip over to external throttle control (the sk) and the speed changes. I haven't flown with it yet. My setup take 20-30 seconds to get between the initial mode and the sk mode. SOunds like you are seeing the same thing.

I am also seeing a v-curve like behavior once the sk takes over. When the collective is in the center, the rpms are what you set them at. When the stick goes positive or negative, the rpm goes up. It does this on my setup without the collective management checkbox selected.

I'm hoping to maiden mine tomorrow. The next thing to figure out is how to attach
a canopy to the chp 700 dl frame :-)

-g
Yes this sounds like what is going on with mine. i don't get the V curve affect that you said. I have a tack that you look through and had a friend follow it through a flight, loops, rolls, it keeps the HS fairly constant. Lets keep in touch on this and i will let you know if i figure it out. going for another flight today. It seems to fly OK.

Trex 550 V-bar
Trex 600 pro V-bar with KDE upgrades
Goblin 700 V-bar
JTAnimal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Vinger
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another thing to remember, do a factory reset and THEN do the stick range with TC curve of 0-100% with endpoints at 100%. Then do the SS programming for either 1 or 2 depending on what your setup is.

We have found that one has to be quick with key presses on the IR programmer and that the ESC sometimes need a reset to take new programming info.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
wangotaco
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Another thing to remember, do a factory reset and THEN do the stick range with TC curve of 0-100% with endpoints at 100%.
I haven't tried that, how do you do a factor reset?
-g
wangotaco is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
heliguy68
Registered Users

# 1 Enter
heliguy68 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Scorpion ESC and Motor Support

Scorpion ESC and Motor Support Scorpion Power Systems ESC and Motor Factory Support Forum