Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
MESummersII
Registered Users

My tail motor was coming on full blast no matter what I did. Even the slightest bit of throttle with the heli still sitting on the ground would make it start going. And it wouldn't respond at all to any kind of rudder input.
MESummersII is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
GSPI
Registered Users

I found that on my DX6i gyro settings were off that caused the same issue for me. I got that straightened out now it just needs some minor trim adjustment when I start using it and then it's fine.
GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
apper001
Registered Users

same issue with my tail motor, still did not find my mistake....
will go through john list tomorrow with a new tx setup and then report back
@gspi : what did you change?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
John Shipley
Registered Users

This is an important point.....It isn't the setting on the tx, it is how the heli is responding. This is why you have to do a few tests. If you test and your motor comes on with the throttle, you could have the tx correct and things plugged in wrong or the gyro switch wrong. The only way you can tell which one it is, is to test each response.
When I was new I had a blade 400. I had replaced the servo's, including the tail and the gyro. I tested all of the servo directions and they were all correct. I had also switched from a 6i to a DX 7. But when I went to spool up the heli would go into a wild piro. I was at the local hobby shop working with one of the staff who had helped me install everythng. We worked on that heli for hours. Finally the the staff guy came to conclusion that the TX was bad. Just then one of the better pilots in the area came in a watched the heli spool up. He told me to put it in TH and went over to the heli and fliped the switch on the gyro for reversing it's response direction. Guess what??? It worked. Since that time 4 years ago, I have seen almost every type of problem and fixed them. And it is usually something simple. The problem is, you have to have everything else working right to test what you think might be the problem. It also takes a while to understand how everything works. But in the end, the SR is just a machine and is only doing something that it was set up to do. So if you have the gyro set wrong for instance, it will turn the heli in the wrong direction.....which means it never corrects and keeps going trying to correct. There are several other things that might casue a similar problem......which is why we need to eliminate the other causes. ....PM me if you want to and we can work through the problem........J

Last edited by John Shipley; 06-02-2012 at 09:43 PM..
John Shipley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
GSPI
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by apper001 View Post
same issue with my tail motor, still did not find my mistake....
will go through john list tomorrow with a new tx setup and then report back
@gspi : what did you change?
I plugged my gyro in (correctly this time) and reset my gyro settings on my DX6i to position 0: 70.0%, postion1: 45.0% and depending on if I was doing head locking or rate mode. I normally set it to head locking (70%) and if the tail runs like crazy I make some rudder trim adjustments to calm it down some and it settles down. I do have to spool it up first though before I can make that adjustment. To note, I also added an additional piece of foam to the back of the gyro where it bounces off the frame at times (see attached photo). It seems to work for me anyway and has been more reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR gyro.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	319605  
Old 05-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #26
apper001
Registered Users

stuck with the same problem: when i spool up the tail spins at max, then when increasing throttle the tail stops completely and heli spins to the left (that one always works...)
so next test is too reverse gyro
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
GSPI
Registered Users

Ho boy!? So the trimming didn't work?

I don't know if you can reverse the gyro really. The gyro light is lighting up steady, right?

another gremlin...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
MESummersII
Registered Users

Before you do anything with the gyro you need to adjust the esc mix. Turn it all the way to 0 and slowly adjust up till the tail holds ok and then use the gyro to adjust the wag. Also, if you have a programmable tx you might have to reverse the gyro on the tx.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #29
GSPI
Registered Users

I just reviewed my DX6i settings and it does not have a reverse on the gyro, only the rudder. I guess you could experiment with that but I'd say that it would have some bad results. I find that if I switch between the two gyro modes (rate and head lock) if its acting up it does calm it down. I cannot think of anything else unless the gyro itself is not working right.

Just thought of this, which direction is it spinning?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #30
MESummersII
Registered Users

If it is spinning on spool up it is most likely the mixer. Also, there is a gyro reverse on the dx6i. Bottom left of the reverse menu. Make sure your model type is set to heli. If it has gear there you have it set as a plane.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
GSPI
Registered Users

No I understand that you can reverse the gyro, I just wonder if that would even fix what is happening if you reversed it like apper001 wanted to do.

Good point on the ESC. I've not had a severe problem with it so I have not had to go through that.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
MESummersII
Registered Users

It can...doesn't hurt to try it. Set the esc pot to 0 and the gyro to 50 (off basically) and adjust up from there starting with the esc. If the doesn't work the esc may be bad. That us what happened to me. HH sent me a new one no charge.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
GSPI
Registered Users

A quick question, did you do this esc procedure with the gyro plugged into the RX or out?

I'm now getting weird controls on the gyro when I took up the SR today. I've got one more adjustment in the TX to try first and then I'll try this other way you described.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #34
MESummersII
Registered Users

Personally I set everything up on the heli to make sure everything was operating correctly. Then I plugged the gyro in to the Rx to find tune it using the DX6i. It really doesn't matter though if you know all your electronics are fine and are comfortable setting it up.

The problem with the SR and the tail motor is that ESC mixing pot plays a bigger role than the gyro. Use the gyro to adjust some tail wag but if the heli is full on spinning it is going to be an issue with your ESC or tail motor burning out...at least with the stock gyro.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #35
GSPI
Registered Users

Ok. I'll pull the plug on the gyro in the AM and see what happens since I have a feeling that the tail rotor motor is starting to go. But I need to verify that the ESC is working right too. It was running up ok and I was able to briefly hover while fighting the tail. I could still control it just that it was starting to spin clockwise.

Every flight a new adventure. That's ok the mCPx did weird stuff today too.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #36
apper001
Registered Users

reversed gyro and tail is working
now onwards with mixer and gyro mix
am wondering though that horizon mcpx 2-1 works so much better than the sr mixer/esc...
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #37
MESummersII
Registered Users

SR is just a little too big for the tail motor design. Getting the 2 in 1 set up is just that much more important trying to holds its' tail steady. And it is just that much harder for the mixer and gyro to keep up with the tail motor. Adjusting the speed of an electric motor isn't near as easy or efficient the heavier the heli gets with more torque from a stronger main rotor.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #38
GSPI
Registered Users

Ok, now I'm confused. I had the SR running with little or no tail spin and wag at all in the past month and did not change anything on it. So I should not change the gyro settings to reverse them if everything was ok before and should look at the ESC? Why would this unit suddenly start spinning?

To note: I'm thinking about the BL conversion for the tail rotor - I've been reading the SR Bible area to see different solutions available. Anybody with this conversion experience??
Old 05-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
MESummersII
Registered Users

I don't know GSPI. Unless your tail motor or ESC is going it doesn't make a ton of sense. The 2in1 mixer essentially is just adjusting how fast your tail motor spins constantly to keep the heli straight. The stock gyro just isn't good enough to control the heli 100%. So slowly adjusting up the ESC with the gyro off allows you to at least tune the bird close to keeping itself straight mechanically and then setting the gyro up to handle small adjustments for wind and such. Why it would change without touching anything...you got me.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
GSPI
Registered Users

Ok thanks! I'll just have to play with it again. Maybe I did bang something I wasn't aware of so I'll just recheck everything again and see what I find... might even put the training gear on again while I'm messing with the esc setting.

Thanks!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR