Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
ttheli
Registered Users

Default Chasing a few issues

Hello,

Been trying to set up my Fury 55 running Vbar Pro.

Had some issues with Governor sensor fail. (Spectrum sensor on a ys56). After adjusting my sensor it now seems to happen a lot less.
I still have an issue with the throttle pulsating in Idle 2, not so much in Idle 1 anymore. After chasing this for a while I have re-binded my rx. (Running JR9503DSM2, with Spectrum DSMx).
And I also redone my governor set up. I now am running in combined mode.

With the motor pulsing, my tail is also moving back and forth a bit in hover.Tried playing around with tail gain. Cant get that locked in feel. In my log i have quiet a few "Vibration level raised", just flying around normal. Took the main shaft with the head on it and balanced it. It is balanced. Flying around, the machine flies very nice, except throttle pulsing. Using an align 610 for throttle.

I have been looking online, but can't seem to find the answer. I am using Zeal tape for my sensor, starting to wonder if that can cause any issues.

Any advise would be great. New to Vbar, and wondering if I am looking at the right stuff to fix the problem.

Thanks.

I uploaded my log. Last two flights was done this morning after rebind.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fury55log.pdf (144.3 KB, 28 views)
ttheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
haha
Registered Users

im having the exact same problem youre having and im still trying to figure it out.
haha is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
ttheli
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi HaHa,

Any luck on finding what causes this? Been trying several things, but still the same. Starting to think I missed something when I set up my tx.
Are you using a Spectrum sensor as well?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
haha
Registered Users

Hey man, No I do not use the spektrum backplate because the YS120 backplate is steel lined. I am using the align magnet sesnro and i do not know what i should do left. I tried everything from moving the sensor closer to the magnet but it does nt make a different. What is your governor gain at the moment? I will keep you posted if anything changes.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
whittb
Registered Users

Default re

I am going thru the same issue now. I took the heli out to fly last Friday and the motor sure started up again. I to tried to replace the sensor, used the extra servo socket to power the sensor. I used Robert Ables YS120 V-bar governor settings, Tried to lower the gains and raise the gains and % min gov values, but still the motor surges.

On other thing, everyone recommends an Enya #5 plug but I am among a growing list of people who are unable to use this plug. The motor stalls out in idle regardless of the needle settings.

I tried flying with a V cure in idle 2 and was able to tune the motor, but it runs at 205 to 230.. very hot for my taste.
I am going to try to use the Enya#5 again, it should help cool the motor.

I think this might be a tuning issue. While running my V curve I noticed a big jump in power and RMP between the mid and high needles. I have tried to tune this out but its still present. This could be whats causing our governor serge issue.

There are a few threads about running the spectrum back plate sensor on the YS56. Some have been able to do it and some have not. I run one on my Furry 55 w/OS55 and it works flawless on the stock governor settings. I think I lowered my min % gov setting to -60 just make sure you do stay at least 20 points above your low throttle setting or you can stall the motor.

You have a lot of vibrations, that needs to be fixed. I used a single piece of V-bar foam tape with a very tight Velcro strap. I used a buckle to makes sure it was tight. I also have the front Gyro tray upgrade on my Furry 55. I recommend getting one if you are not using it already. The back gyro try that sits on the boom mounts is not a the best place to mount the sensor.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
whittb
Registered Users

Default YS120 Gov Settings

ok, I just got some info from another site. I will not be able to try it out until this weekend, so I am not sure how well it will work. If you try it, let me know please.

First. Make sure you minimum throttle curve setting is above the 50% mark in your transmitter. This can cause surging
I am setting mine to 60%

Second. Set your % min gov setting to -10.

Third. Set your gain governor gain to 35%

This is what they are flying the YS120 with and it works for them
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
ttheli
Registered Users

I changed my gyro tape to the original, and strapped it down tight. I also got the front plate mount. I also noticed with the Zeal tape I could move the sensor enough to get the tail blades moving on the bench. That is way better now with the Mikado tape.

I am back at work now... So I will not get to try your settings for a few weeks, but will defiantly try them. I tried dropping my governor gain lower, but not that low as I thought that was more for electric.Guess with running combined mode it is set up more like an electric now, when it comes to the flat throttle curves?

Another thing I was thinking, I might have missed is the travel adjustment for the throttle in my rx, If I got that wrong, would that mess up my resolution for the throttle?

With the throttle pulsing, do you get a slow tail wag?

For the Spectrum sensor, I had it touching the case. Got a lot of gov sensor fail. So I now moved it out to about 1mm.That seemed to help reducing the failures. Last night I read somewhere, where it was recommended 2-2.5 mm. Would that be better?
Thinking about trying a different sensor just to rule it out.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
haha
Registered Users

Whittb, i was able to get the heli fly the way i wanted but for only one flight. Originally , i have my sensor mount to the frame such that only half of the sensor ( sensor tip ) can read magnet but then i made a little wood block ( not much bigger than the sensor ) drilled two holes and put in between the sensor and the frame so that the tip of the whole tip of the sensor is directly above the magnet. I also took Mr.Mel advice to put the sensor as close to the magnet as close as possible. It was flying like a dream after that but then after i refuel , things start going crazy again.
I lower my gov gain to 40 and i saw a bit of improvement.
The thing is in normal mode, i think my motor is over speeding ( i have no way to confirm this other by listening to the motor)
After that one magical flight, thing went crazy again, motor pulsating, tail wagging. I feel this the ys120 is not as powerful as my previous ys91 SR3DS.

What is your needle setting on your motor Whittb. I think im close to the sweet spot but im stil chasing.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
haha
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttheli View Post
I changed my gyro tape to the original, and strapped it down tight. I also got the front plate mount. I also noticed with the Zeal tape I could move the sensor enough to get the tail blades moving on the bench. That is way better now with the Mikado tape.

I am back at work now... So I will not get to try your settings for a few weeks, but will defiantly try them. I tried dropping my governor gain lower, but not that low as I thought that was more for electric.Guess with running combined mode it is set up more like an electric now, when it comes to the flat throttle curves?

Another thing I was thinking, I might have missed is the travel adjustment for the throttle in my rx, If I got that wrong, would that mess up my resolution for the throttle?

With the throttle pulsing, do you get a slow tail wag?

For the Spectrum sensor, I had it touching the case. Got a lot of gov sensor fail. So I now moved it out to about 1mm.That seemed to help reducing the failures. Last night I read somewhere, where it was recommended 2-2.5 mm. Would that be better?
Thinking about trying a different sensor just to rule it out.
I had the YS 91sr3ds before and i had great result with the vbar. My sensor was touching the back plate and it work pretty well.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
whittb
Registered Users

Default re

I am going to try to spool up my 700N tonight while its hooked up to the CPU and confirm that the V-bar is able to read a constant head speed. If not then I will start to modify my sensor. I think the stock mount is fine. There are a lot of people using it with the V-bar governor.

I will look at my needle setting tonight.

I found that the motor was very inconsistent until it was broken in. try disabling the governor in idle 2 and fly a V curve
95,55,95 should work great. Then tell me its not more powerful. I had a few people that stopped to watch me fly last weekend. The power is noticeably different. You can fly the V cure for your breaking process as well.

I will get some V-bar gov setup screen shots tonight hopefully. Is so I will send then to you. The motor is some much bigger that the V-bar stock gains are way off.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
whittb
Registered Users

Default re

Ok, I tested my governor sensor on the V-bar and it is reading correctly and giving a consistent head speed. I will have to wait until this weekend to try the new gain settings out.

My needle settings are as follows:
Idle needle is at 1.125
Hover needle is at 1.80
High needle is at 1.75

I am running Powermaster 15% nitro with 23% synthetic low viscosity oil

My temps are high, in to 205 to 230 range. I would prefer to use the Enya #5 plug, but my motor is not happy with it, so I will stick to the enya #4 and monitor my motor temps for a while.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
ttheli
Registered Users

Hi guys,

Been at work, and will be till the 20. So I have not had an opportunity to test or looked at it since.
I have got a lot of good tips here, what to look for, and try to figure this out.

Did you get to test yours whittb? Hopefully it all worked out.

I will let you guys know how it works out.

Tommy T
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
haha
Registered Users

i was able to fix my, its flying like a dream now. Whittb was right, the ys 120 pulls like a tractor
Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
whittb
Registered Users

Default re

I was also able to get my T-rex 700N DFC running will. The governor works very well once a team pilot gave me his gain settings. This motor is so powerful that the gains had to be turned down to 35. That’s almost at the electric governor gain levels.

I am going to install a silverline sensor unit to reduce the vibes.

Hope you get your Furry 55 running. I upgraded my software to 5.2.4 and the governor setup is a lot different now. If you have not upgraded yet, I would wait until the videos come out. I chose to run the old 2 channel mode as it’s what I am used to. I don’t mind upgrading, but once I get the unit dialed in I prefer to leave it alone.

HAHA, glade you got her going, it makes the bird feel a lot different. I also love my DFC head. It is very fast and agile.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
ttheli
Registered Users

Glad to hear you guys got it working.

I will probably go back to two channel. Liked the way I had control over the throttle in normal mode.
That's a really low gain. Sounds like it has tons of power:-)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
ttheli
Registered Users

Default Update

Hi guys.

Thanks so much for your help!
I finally got my Fury running!! Runs very nice now, just have some tweaking to do.
I re-did the set up, and went back to 2 channel. Got my throttle linkage set with better travel.
Tried your numbers whittb. After dropping my gov gain to 33, set my throttle curves as you suggested, it now holds rpm very well. Off course its raining today......

I also secured the connections on the vbar,and my log barley shows any missed gov signals.

Quick question
I have a several "Raised vibration" levels, is that a concern or is it normal. I changed the gyro tape, and strapped it down tight. The tail is still moving a bit. Wondering if that has to do with vibration?
Tail holds well in climbs, loops and rolls.

Again thanks
ttheli

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support