Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
pitchandyaw
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default XT150 Connectors - Which sleeve is for which gender?

I've picked up some XT150 connectors for the first time and they look great!

The problem is - I am unable to find any instructions or documentation on which sleeve goes with which gender bullet. Can anyone assist or point me to documentation?

At the moment it seems that I could use them either way but I would really like to know what is intended.

Photos I've found online seems to contradict each other.

Thanks all.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
pitchandyaw
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It seem not too many people use them....

Through experimentation I worked out that either way will work but one way easier to connect and provides better insulation.

I really wonder why these connectors aren't more popular? They seem great. Easy to solder, take 10awg wire, insulated, easy to connect/disconnect and flexible for series (10-14s) arrangements.
And they're meant to be good for 150A.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
desertstalker
Registered Users

All bullet type connectors are much the same, female on the battery, male on the charger/ESC. This is because it is usually harder to short the female bullet end.

Note this is the bullet gender, not the housing, which is often the reverse.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
pitchandyaw
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
All bullet type connectors are much the same, female on the battery, male on the charger/ESC. This is because it is usually harder to short the female bullet end.

Note this is the bullet gender, not the housing, which is often the reverse.
I'm comfortable with what gender is going where. I'm putting female and male on each on each battery and on the ESC to allow for 12s series setup with less connections (3 as apposed to the usual 4).

I'm unsure about which plastic housing is intended for which gender of the bullet. One housing is shorter and thinner and the other is longer.

I tried both and It turns out that they will work either way but the male bullet is a little exposed when it is used with the shorter housing so the other way round seems to make more sense.

Great connectors though! I don't know why thy aren't more popular.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
SkyRaptor
Registered Users

Hi pitchandyaw,

I'm using such connectors for many months.. They are simple the best for huge currents.

The correct fitting:

All energized devices, like batteries, goes with female - safety reasons. It's up to you violating this rule.

The thinner housing goes in the female connector and, of course, the thicker goes with male one.

This rule applies for ALL connectors, like EC3 and EC5.

Best Regards.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
pitchandyaw
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRaptor View Post
Hi pitchandyaw,
All energized devices, like batteries, goes with female - safety reasons. It's up to you violating this rule.

The thinner housing goes in the female connector and, of course, the thicker goes with male one.
That's how I decided on the housings as well.

Yes, I'm well and truly violating that rule!
It just makes it so much nicer for a 12s series setup. I've colour coded all the housings so that as long as i only ever plug two connectors together that are the same colour I should avoid major disasters. I've used red and black for the + and - connections to the ESC (obviously) and blue for the connection between packs. So 1 pack has a red connector and a blue connector and the other has a black connector and a blue connector.
So the blue connectors are used to join the packs for 12s.

But it is physically possible to plug the + into the - of a single pack. That WOULD be exciting.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion