Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Crash2much
Registered Users

Default Charger Discharge Amps Too low

Hi, I have a Voltz 5250/icharger 106b. There are a few options to discharge my lipos. Regardless of the amps I select, it only shows .6 amps in the window. So I go to the setup and there is an option to go up to 80 watts only, now it discharges at .8 amps, what gives? The specs read that it can discharge up to 7 amps??

Thanks
Crash2much is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
The WoodCrafter
Registered Users

Most any charger discharges very slowly.
And depending on the pack voltage, the discharge watts/amp will change.
As far as I know a 106B will discharge up to 20W.
Pretty low.
The WoodCrafter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Gregor99
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The discharge limits are usually listed in watts and amps. These are two different limits and you are likely to hit one before the other. Rarely both at the same time. Example if you discharging a 1s LiPo, to calculate the expected current divide the 20 watts by nominal pack voltage 4v. That gives you 5 amps. For 3s pack, it'd be 1.6 amps (12/20). For a 6s pack it'd be 0.8 amps (24/20).

To get to the full 7 amps at 20 watts you'd need a single cell at 2.85v. Odd, I know. But sometimes the component selection made by the manufacture ends up with a few specs which may not make perfect sense to the general public. A few components may be able to take a full 7 amps. While others involved in the discharge circuit cannot only take 20 watts. As this charger can also discharge A123 packs, perhaps the max ratings makes more sense discharging a single A123 cell.

If you want more discharge capabilities, you might try the regen discharge feature. Not sure if the Voltz firmware supports this. But it can be done with the iChargers, athough some many require a firmware upgrade which carries its own risk and challenges. Also you might be better off to consider building a stand alone discharger.

Some examples:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projec...ipo-discharger
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131817
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t694185p1/
Dual Powerlab Beta Team - Revolectrix Forum Support (volunteer)
Gregor99 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Crash2much
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok, thanks
Crash2much is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support