Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
t-rex450seV1
Registered Users

Default My old 450 SE V1 resurrected-advice needed.

Hi all,

I bought a 450 SE v1 quite a few years ago, it flew great but I reached and over-stepped my skill level ending in a thud, taking out the flybar, blades, main gear and skids.
Now 5 years on, I would like to get it airborne again, however its been a while since I have built and set this up. So far, I've fitted my spare blades, flybar, landing gear. I was also given a darker blue set of main and tail gears, however I notice my old v1 gears are different to a set of spare gears given to me, mainly the one way bearing, so I've bought the new main gear case in the hope that will work.

Rex SE v1
Stock 430l motor
Stock ESC, RCE-BL5G
Flight Power EVO 20 2170mAh 3s1p pack
3 X HITEC HS65HB
Tail HS65MG
Gyro GY401

So a few questions:
Are the newer one way bearings / main gear cases, compatible with the v1?
As this is such an old bird now, are there any recommended updates (apart from 2.4GHz)?

Now I've got to re-learn how to set everything up and charge the lipos (maybe new packs are needed after 5 years)
I've added a few pics of the old girl.
Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0693[1].jpg
Views:	104
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	324746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698[1].jpg
Views:	84
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	324747  
t-rex450seV1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
WyDiablo
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I still fly the TRex 450SE V1 today and the setup part is a snap. Go over to Bob Finless build videos and there you will find a build video for the 450SE V1 and just follow his video. The place that I normally get my parts from is www.amainhobbies.com. My 450 SE V1 flies really great even better than my TRex 500. Its just a lot faster and a lot smaller and harder to keep my old eyes on the bird now.

WyDiablo
WyDiablo is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
im2tall
Registered Users

I just purchased a SE v1 from the bay for $13 total w/shipping ! What Im trying to figure out is,are there any mods necessary to slap the DFC on? I found a thread regarding the Sport,but nothing about the SE! Are they the same as far as mounting ?
im2tall is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Starcruiser
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I believe the main diff is the spindle size, 3mm vs 4mm, this would require changes to the head block and grips. The other might be the length of the tail boom and associated belt. I belive some of the upgrades were to the head and tail assemblies, this is what I recall reading.

The DFC head or any other 450 head will fit as long as the main shaft is the same diameter, which it should be.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
im2tall
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Cool !! I was mostly concerned about the mainshaft fitting properly !! I found a pic in the pic thread !! Thx!!
im2tall is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
t-rex450seV1
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, the gear case arrived and it looks like it will be ok.
I've used the old v1 input shaft for the tail gear and it all works a treat.

My 4 year old packs are now taking a charge, we'll see for how long.
I'm now trying to remember how to use the Futaba 9c again.

Decided to fly it stock and see if I reach any of its limitations before I reach mine.
t-rex450seV1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
RedOctobyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi guys, I just discovered my EXI 450 is apparently an SE V1. I'd thought it was a later model.

After a crash, I need to replace the feathering shaft, main shaft, etc, but also the stripped main gear. The shafts I've found sources for. But the main gear has me feeling like I'm missing something.

Mine has the main gear with an aluminum sleeve, both of which are apparently pressed onto the one way bearing (which also has the tail gear on it). This is in contrast to the more recent designs, with a flanged metal case for the OWB, attached to the main gear with 4 bolts.

The trouble is that replacing the main gear seems surprisingly expensive. This is basically the same price I've seen everywhere:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Gear-Set-White

$18, including a new tail gear and OWB. But the tail gear and OWB are fine, and don't need to be replaced. I was expecting more like $3 for a main gear. But I can't seem to find just the main gear by itself.

Am I missing something? At $18 per stripped main gear, plus other parts, crashes will get way more expensive than I'd expected. I might consider simply buying a different kit, and moving the electronics over. Maybe a Sport V2, or perhaps a Pro kit, to share spares with the 450 Pro FBL heli that I have sitting on the shelf (as I work my way up to it).

Thanks!
RedOctobyr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Daddy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Red, go to eb_y and search "450 main gear". You have many options. Ken
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
satgod
Registered Users

My HF Map location

EXI makes a se v1-v2 clone

I personally would get the EXI cabron pro for 57.00 and just move my electronics over and have me a 450pro clone so parts are more readily available
if not you will have to order feathering shafts, tail shafts, some bearings and misc stuff
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
RedOctobyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Daddy, sorry if I'm just missing something. But most of the main gears I see on eBay do not look like mine. They have 4 holes near the center, to accept the current style one way bearing, which sits in a metal piece with a big flange. The flange is then bolted through the 4 holes in the gear. That seems to be used pretty universally on current models.

By contrast, my setup looks different. My gear does not have the flange-mounted OWB. The gear does not have accomodations for the flange or the 4 holes. My gear is pressed onto the OWB. The gears look more like this (though I'm not certain it's exactly the same):

http://www.bandbhobbies.com/shop/pro...roducts_id=749

Sorry if this is just ignorance on my part, and the current assemblies (with flange) are a direct substitute for mine, and would let me migrate to the current style going forward? My tail gear is 109T. I think most now are 106T?

satgod, I'm starting to wonder more about going that way. If it's going to cost me $25-30 in parts for this crash (as an example), that makes me wonder about staying with this kit. I bought this heli as kind of an afterthought, I was going for the 450 Pro that's waiting on my shelf. But for what the seller was asking for this, with the Pro, I was crazy to pass it up. But if it's going to be difficult/expensive to get parts for, I could be better off cutting my "losses" early, and either getting a 2nd Pro kit (maybe belt-driven) to use with the cheap electronics in this, or just shelving this one for now, and migrating to the Pro sooner than planned.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Daddy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I thought you could upgrade to the new type (fairly cheaply) and then parts would be reasonable going forward. Can't you put a 450 pro gear set on a SE V1 shaft?

But the $57 EXI carbon kit is nice, what I got with a few align part upgrades.
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
CF_Machete
Registered Users

no matter how you up grade frame wise, you wan to use a digital servo on your tail and faster than the hs -65 mg or its digital counterpart the hs-az5065-mg.

for those who want to sue the dfc head on a se v1, you should get the sport or pro swash. it has a larger diameter and the dfc head was built to work with its dimensions.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Starcruiser
Registered Users

My HF Map location

buy the complete set and then you can just purchase the main gears when you need them for like less than $5 the tail gear is usually untouched when you strip the main.

Try this http://www.xheli.com/exi-31127.html

the EXI 18H31 is similar to a 450SE http://www.xheli.com/sppaexi18.html and you can use most if not all of the parts. I would upgrade the V1 to a V2 by replacing the few parts, Head, spindle, dampers and tail parts
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
RedOctobyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Starcruiser, does that EXI gear you linked to come with the current-style metal flange, and use the current-style gear? I can't tell from the pic.

Daddy raised the question of whether the SE can use the current-style gear assembly. It's a good question, but I don't know the answer

TBH, I am setting this one aside for the moment, and I am going to try the Pro with ZYX FBL controller. First I need to check that one over, and re-program the ZYX for my RX, etc. I will decide what I want to do with the SE, whether to get SE V1 parts for it, or just stick to the FBL Pro, or perhaps try something like a $20 SE V2(?) Leaderhobby kit, and move the SE electronics to that (just to keep these cheap electronics in the air, cheaply).

I appreciate all the help
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Starcruiser
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes it does, they also have the older style it looks like. I have purchased this one for my V2's. Browse the site, they have a few options. I would just upgrade to the newer version. I can take pictures of my spares if you like to see them.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.