Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The issue for me is that when you sell you can expect to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of you investment if you are lucky.

After spending hours building, setting up, rebuilding, etc. the helis are almost like family to me. It is hard for me to let them go after spending so much time getting them just right, then growing out of them. I enjoy the build and get as much satisfaction in setting up a heli perfectly as I do flying.

I would rather give one away to family, friends, or someone deserving at the club that will appreciate it before I settle for pennies on the dollar to sell.

Giving someone a 120SR or a 450 and watching them enjoy the learning process is at least as satisfying as the $ I might have gotten if I sold it.
Hell, lots of Helicopters. Lots. Airplanes and Quads too.
Unless this is my wife reading this, then just a couple.
rkweekly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkweekly View Post
The issue for me is that when you sell you can expect to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of you investment if you are lucky.

After spending hours building, setting up, rebuilding, etc. the helis are almost like family to me. It is hard for me to let them go after spending so much time getting them just right, then growing out of them. I enjoy the build and get as much satisfaction in setting up a heli perfectly as I do flying. .
I had two Shuttles and a Raptor V1 and flew them into the ground, metaphorically speaking.

I think the idea of having a few of the same is excellent. I only moved on from Shuttles when the Raptor came out and now I am on my second Rappy.

Some helis I have built have been horrible and I got rid - some I have built and are with me today like my Eolo.

fourbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkweekly View Post

After spending hours building, setting up, rebuilding, etc. the helis are almost like family to me. It is hard for me to let them go after spending so much time getting them just right, then growing out of them. I enjoy the build and get as much satisfaction in setting up a heli perfectly as I do flying.

I would rather give one away to family, friends, or someone deserving at the club that will appreciate it before I settle for pennies on the dollar to sell.

Giving someone a 120SR or a 450 and watching them enjoy the learning process is at least as satisfying as the $ I might have gotten if I sold it.
I totally understand and agree with where you're coming from. All of my birds except for my 600es were bought used. My 600esp is the one I wanted mosted out of all my bird when I got em and I told myself that I would never sell it. But later down the road as helis advance its one of my least favorite birds to fly, but its the one I put my blood, sweat, tears and the whole bit into. All the other ones were sent built and I just added the pieces together. Its hard giving up something you've become attached to, but its also difficult knowing something is going to waste by not flying it and it could be used by someone who wants it.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
A) mCPX or equivelent as a real life sim
B) Medium size heli, ~500 to bang around on.
C) Large size heli, 600 or 700 just cause they are so cool
Very similar to my fleet...

mcpx, for learning new stuff and crashing a lot

450-500, once new stuff is fairly well practiced

700, really flies the best of all
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have Trex 100, 250, (2) 450, 500 and 550. They all suit different purposes. We all know the 250 is crap, but now I have one so no one would probably want it. Just got a 450 pro, which is just the best trash around, small field heli. The 500 does awesome banked turns, is very fast and much more stable than a 450. The 550 is close enough to a 600 or 700, but still works on a soccer field.

I don't really see the point of a pack of 600/700 helis since they fly in very similar fashion. And either one is too big for a baseball diamond field. Maybe one, with a backup. The only benefit is using one type of battery, I guess. With my fleet, batteries can become an issue - one type or another is always in trouble!
ryem3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I reached my max number now, which is 3. I have a 450 Pro for general flying (i.e. on vacation, random quick trips to wherever, or just on top of the house). At the field I bring both my 600N and 700N. 600 is more of a beater heli and 700 is more of my favorite, well kept machine. Anything more and I think it'll be a bit stressful to maintain and routinely check the fleet, with me working 5 days a week.
hpcc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Just got a 450 pro, which is just the best trash around, small field heli.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpVpRb View Post
Very similar to my fleet...

mcpx, for learning new stuff and crashing a lot

450-500, once new stuff is fairly well practiced

700, really flies the best of all
Only thing missing is a Nitro. I fly it the least, but when I do, it gets the whole crowd watching!
ccnada is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's not about numbers, but if you really use the 1 or 100 you have, or just like having them, as either accomplishments, collection or just because.. I have literally thousands of books because I have read since before kindergarten...which I only attended 1 day.

I am a firm believer in redundancy. Three each of Mcpx, 3 450 class (2 3d, 1 x) as these are now the most regularly flown of my 12 helis. I have had bouts of all these 6 down for repair. Crashes are no longer the leading cause of downtime...the mcpxs need motors and a few new servos due to being flown many times a day or night. The 450s need parts on occasion, just picked up 3 new motors and waiting on x parts. Mcpx to work out moves, 450 to refine...

You should sell or keep, based not on numbers but what will keep you most happy. I will add 3 helis to my collection if I have no emergencies that take the pennies I'm saving for them...I have sold a few things from my other hobbies to support my heli fix...one 46 Willys CJ2a and an original first year ZX-14 that I waited 5 months for.. I won't part with books or my original Z1... I have had a number of years to do this, not overnight. Trying to reduce the number of hobbies...

Just have fun and good luck with whatever you decide. The wife won't let me have redundant wives...go figure. Ha. Just kidding.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have 4 right now.... Going to end up going to three. TREX 500, TREX 600 efl pro and my MCPx.

I also have a blade 400 that I never fly anymore... So I think I'm going to sell that one...

Right now I'm happy with 3... Eventually am going to convert the 500 to flybarless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Along the way, in the search for the ideal heli, we pick up birds - some we want to keep, some we don't. You know the keepers almost straight away. I had a Century Hughes which I sold and have regretted it to this day.

fourbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to do a search on this topic and found this thread.

I am thinking about doing some adjustments to my current fleet (130 X, 6S 450 Pro FBL, sold my Logo 500 FBL). How does the Blade 130 X in addition to a 425 mm sized heli and a 700E sound? I feel that the gap between the 130 X and the 450 is a bit to small, so I am thinking about swapping the 450 for a 425 mm sized heli or equivalent (any advices?).

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my 450pro. Takes 5min to charge each TP65C pack and I can put the bird in a backpack and take the bike to the field. Last time I crashed it was inverted and I only broke the main shaft which is 5dollars. Have had some problems with the tail but it's fine if I'm careful on the collective. It flies like the sim and I've just started doing (ugly as hell) piroflips with it. Perhaps I go with the X5 in the future but from now I see no reason to change my lovely all stock 450 pro. Ok, it's not entirely stock, I have a nice fusuno canopy and some yellow stuff to make it more visible:-D
Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

my big problem is i love to build. i have 7 heli's and can't count the planks.comes the weekend, i can't decied what to take to the field.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I had to do a search on this topic and found this thread.

I am thinking about doing some adjustments to my current fleet (130 X, 6S 450 Pro FBL, sold my Logo 500 FBL). How does the Blade 130 X in addition to a 425 mm sized heli and a 700E sound? I feel that the gap between the 130 X and the 450 is a bit to small, so I am thinking about swapping the 450 for a 425 mm sized heli or equivalent (any advices?).

Thanks,
If you did a 550 and a 700 you could share packs.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, yea... But I kind of sold my Logo 500 - 6S 5000mAh.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I guess it all depends on your definition of need!

I have a 500, two 450's, and an mCPx. At this point I need another 500 so I always have one to fly. I'd like to sell my older 450.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would keep at least 2 in case 1 breaks but in my mind at least you use them all and you have enough money to maintain / repair them in a reasonable amount of time then that's the number of helis for you
13kawasaki13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've decided to sell my F50 along with my 600esp to fund either a 7hv, Gaui X7 or a Goblin. Don't want to have 3 600 size bird, so I can cut it down to just my 600pro and 700e and just buy another 700 size bird and be happy.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GOOD QUESTION

I have only two helis a 3 channel dh for the yard learning and a 450 kds sv which i havent flown yet but am rebuilding it as got it second hand.Going through checking every screw bearing and part etc and replacing a few parts . I'm content with these at the moment being a newbie it keeps me well occupied.The set up etc with take me ages but i'd rather do a good job than rush it !! But I can't help noticing all those new high tech birds out now ,and one day i hope to progress to something bigger, or should i talk myself into buying a bigger bird to learn on??? Isn't that the perfect excuse?! The Mikado 800 and Goblin look nasty as, wouldnt dream of going there yet tho. Also like the look of the new Rush and the Compass and Logo.... on and on....

I think the battery interchangeability idea has real merit and being able to swap part from one heli to another is also a great idea !! Performance wise i am blind, I know the 3 channel can one second hover well then the next be on a rant. Looking forward to learning the proper machine soon, aka basic 6 channel flight
chingie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in