Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
RCheliski
Registered Users

Default How hot should the motor be?

Hi folks!
I am running a stock T-Rex 600EFL Pro (Align 600MX, Castle ICE HV 80 Brushless ESC) Align 40C's or G-Force 40C's. After about 5 or 6 minutes of hovering, the motor is very hot (Cannot hold my finger to the top) and the ESC is very warm, almost hot. How hot should these get?

Thanks!
Ed
RCheliski is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
pril250
Registered Users

Check for tight mesh pinion to main gear and tail belt or TT drive gears. Some times you can feel if things are too tight by rotating the blades with one finger and see if the mechanics continue to rotate reasonably with the inertia. Any binding on the drives could cause the motor excess resistance=heat. You could also look at the CC graphes to analyse the ESC temp rise and the power the motor is dissipating.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
RCheliski
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Check for tight mesh pinion to main gear and tail belt or TT drive gears. Some times you can feel if things are too tight by rotating the blades with one finger and see if the mechanics continue to rotate reasonably with the inertia. Any binding on the drives could cause the motor excess resistance=heat. You could also look at the CC graphes to analyse the ESC temp rise and the power the motor is dissipating.
Thanks. The gears are not binding and are at a good tension. Not too tight. Not too loose. Plus with the way this TRex is build, there really isnt any way to adjust any tension. At least I dont think there is.
RCheliski is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Stevendavis
Registered Users

I've been checking mine and it gets to 150* F at the bearings, and 120* to 130* along the can.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
utrinque
Registered Users

Default my 5c

Possible reasons:

- hot weather
- to much friction in some place (described already in previous posts)
- to high cyclic angles (not a case while you only hover)
- lack of free airflow and cooling

Nitro engine will not be damaged if load is to high it will slow down and eventually stop.
No load can damage nitro engine because o high revs can make it explode in extreme case.

Oposite story in electric setup.
Without load electric motor will rotate close to KV never fasterand draw low current.
It can be damaged by to high load or to high voltage. Both make electric engine get hot end eventually burn.

I supose Scorpion motor can survive 100 degr Centigrade. If you can not touch this it is to hot.
Hope this helps.
utrinque is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.