Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum

Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Some Polak
Registered Users

Default 8FG vs 8J Features mish mashed - worth $200 more?

Hi Guys,

First off, I couldn't find a general radio forum to post in, but since I'm leaning towards a futaba, I thought I would post here.

I have been working with my Dad for the past few weeks and finally am able to afford a decent radio. I have got a few choices in my head, although it has come down to futaba. I have found their radios to be rock solid (which I like), and they have all the features I could need/want (I guess )

I currently own and crash a blade sr, have a quadcopter in the mail (homebrew), and plan to get a HK450 in the near future. I plan to get into the development side of quadcopters down the road, as well as do a lot of FPV stuff and fun projects down the road, and one of my dreams is to fly 3D helis, so I want a radio that will keep up with me and be one of those things that I don't have to worry about (since my inexperience causes enough problems, and the last thing I need is to have a radio that is glitchy and unstable).

Now, I am considering to get either the 8J or the 8FG, as futaba seems like the obvious choice, as from what I have heard, they are rock solid and run smooth for years.
Now, the 8FG is about $200 more than the 8FG where I live, but I'm willing to pony up that much more if it means that I will get a radio that is worth that much more. (I'm not cheap, but I don't want to waste money)

From what I know:
- 8FG is 14 channel (how the..), and the 8J is just 8 channels
- 8FG has slider levers (useful for flaps and other weird stuff), 8J just has switches
- From what I can tell, they both have similar screens and scrolling mechanisms
- 8FG has sailplane stuff (which I don't care for much), and only 6 swashplate types (the 8J has 8). So, for helis and such, the 8J would be better, no?
- 8FG has FASST, and 8J has FHSS (don't know how much better FASST is)
- 8FG has an external antenna (I broke the one on my DX5e, so don't think I'm smart enough not to break it), the 8J has an integrated one.
- Both are full range
- Both support 3 axis gyros and s-bus.
- I didn't look too thoroughly on the programing side of each radio, but both seem to have pretty much the same features.

So basically, do FASST, a few more channels (anything above 6 I don't think I would use), and the slide levers make the 8FG worth the extra $200?

Anything I missed/makes the 8FG worth getting over the 8J? Or have I gone the wrong route with Futaba for what I want/need to achieve the things I want to do? Are there better options for the money? (DX8/XG8/Aurora9?)

Thanks ahead of time for helpin me out if you choose to.
Some Polak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
uragano47812
Registered Users

both dx8 and xg8 has telemetry. XG8 is really a nice radio and i like more the menu and the way you can change the parametrs than 8FG for sure. with 8FG you can do all the programs and setup like XG8 but in my opinion sometimes you have to use a tricky way where JR offer a easy way.

I owned a DX7 and it was more intuitive than futaba and i have switched to 8FG. Futaba is a great product it depends what you are used to.

Now also DX8 seems to be a good TX spektrum has solved the problems.

In the end now i will not buy again the 8FG but i will pick up the XG8 or if you have old spektrum/Jr rx the DX8.

for 3D helicopter if you will use FBL units sbus or sat rx are a great way to use RX. I know that also JR DMSS will introduce a sat rx in the near future.
uragano47812 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
skinart76
Registered Users

I have had the 8FG for a while now, and I absolutely love it. Programming is pretty easy once you understand the menus and have had some hands-on time with it. As for FAAST Vs FHSS, I can't not comment as I have only used the FAAST system on the 7C and now 8FG.
skinart76 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
stevec
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I went from dx8 to 8fg, I haven't looked back.

Fhss is cheaper for a reason. Apparently the fasst system is a lot less prone to interference but i am confident that futaba will have whatever they release fully tested and rock solid.

If you can stretch to it and the radio fits in your hands nicely then I can't say a bad thing about the 8fg. The only slight pain is the menu system takes some getting used to, as with anything with that much freedom to assign channels to any switch there are several ways to do everything which can add to confusion.

The spektrum menus are a lot more intuitive but I will never have anything bigger than an mcpx with spektrum radio, I got burned on that one... It cost me a 450 clone and a raptor 90se gasser.

Frsky sell fasst compatible receivers and they have been good so far and cost about £25 for a 6 or 7 channel rx. I use them in my smaller Helis and lighter planks.

Make sure you have a hold of several brands though as some people find futaba stuff a bit on the small side and have trouble getting their fingers between the switches on the shoulders of the unit.

Mine fits me well but the ergonomics of the tx are as important.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Some Polak
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart76 View Post
I have had the 8FG for a while now, and I absolutely love it. Programming is pretty easy once you understand the menus and have had some hands-on time with it. As for FAAST Vs FHSS, I can't not comment as I have only used the FAAST system on the 7C and now 8FG.
Yeah, and I also noticed that the side sliders are a nice feature on the 8FG, so I'll go with that! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec View Post
I went from dx8 to 8fg, I haven't looked back.

Fhss is cheaper for a reason. Apparently the fasst system is a lot less prone to interference but i am confident that futaba will have whatever they release fully tested and rock solid.

If you can stretch to it and the radio fits in your hands nicely then I can't say a bad thing about the 8fg. The only slight pain is the menu system takes some getting used to, as with anything with that much freedom to assign channels to any switch there are several ways to do everything which can add to confusion.

The spektrum menus are a lot more intuitive but I will never have anything bigger than an mcpx with spektrum radio, I got burned on that one... It cost me a 450 clone and a raptor 90se gasser.

Frsky sell fasst compatible receivers and they have been good so far and cost about 25 for a 6 or 7 channel rx. I use them in my smaller Helis and lighter planks.
Mine fits me well but the ergonomics of the tx are as important.

Hope this helps.
Steve
YES!, thanks for pointing out the cheaper receivers, didn't think they had orange/frsky receivers for futaba FASST! I'm sold now, decision made! Thanks!
Some Polak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
tgo
Registered Users

Hi,
I have 8FG and my friend is a newbie using DX8, can you help to fix this problems. We use to fly FBL and electric helis
1. how to disable all 4 trims? my friend has a problem with one of his heli, the heli drift to the left when switched to idle1, finally, I found that the he accidentally has some right trim in ailreon. I used to diable all trims in my 8FG , but I can't figure out this with DX8
2. We use Gov mode for the head speed control. I use the first and last point for throttle curve. I can disable all unnecessary points. So adjustment for head speed is very simple, just changing of 2 points. I also can't figure out how to do this with DX8.

Thanks
TGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by uragano47812 View Post
both dx8 and xg8 has telemetry. XG8 is really a nice radio and i like more the menu and the way you can change the parametrs than 8FG for sure. with 8FG you can do all the programs and setup like XG8 but in my opinion sometimes you have to use a tricky way where JR offer a easy way.

I owned a DX7 and it was more intuitive than futaba and i have switched to 8FG. Futaba is a great product it depends what you are used to.

Now also DX8 seems to be a good TX spektrum has solved the problems.

In the end now i will not buy again the 8FG but i will pick up the XG8 or if you have old spektrum/Jr rx the DX8.

for 3D helicopter if you will use FBL units sbus or sat rx are a great way to use RX. I know that also JR DMSS will introduce a sat rx in the near future.
tgo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
AcidDrink
Registered Users

Set trims to zero on dx8 to disable them.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
pilot4fn
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Polak View Post
Hi Guys,

First off, I couldn't find a general radio forum to post in, but since I'm leaning towards a futaba, I thought I would post here.

So basically, do FASST, a few more channels (anything above 6 I don't think I would use), and the slide levers make the 8FG worth the extra $200?
T8FGS You can update the software 8J can not.
Rumor tells, that T8FGS will have telemetry as software upgrade on the works... when, who knows
Futaba T8FGS
pilot4fn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
tgo
Registered Users

Hi, Can you tell me how to disable them step by step?

Thanks
TGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Set trims to zero on dx8 to disable them.
tgo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
DesJardins
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgo View Post
Hi, Can you tell me how to disable them step by step?

Thanks
TGO
Old post, but just incase anybody else needs the info...

Hold down your scroll button while powering on to enter your System Setup.
Scroll down to "Trim Setup"

Then make all the values Zero "0"
That disables the use of the Trim and you'll have to check and see if each model needs that done as I never verified that for myself.

Hope that helps

PowerLab6 & Pulse "3S" 45C Lipos
DesJardins is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum