Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Ric66
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1974 View Post
I bet you can fly a 450 in your room (at least hover it) _but_ this does not imply it is a good indoor heli, only that you are a good pilot.

Many people with limited experience may get very frustrated jumping onto the msrx, based on the "it's a good indoor heli" advices and discovering you need 100 flights just to hover without crashes. Instead they would be much more satisfied with a msr or similar. And don't get me started on how as3x switches to rate mode while rudder applied, making turns a PITA and worse learning you wrong habits. I regret not knowing that, that's the price for jumping onto a new product which was supposed to be attitude hold all the time (never trust the commercials).
Even if I could, I would never attempt to fly a 450 indoors! I appreciate your compliment on my piloting skills, but I do not consider myself a "pro" and I really enjoy the mSRX indoors. It is definitely not a beginner's heli, but I thought the question was "is it a good indoor heli?" IMHO, once you learn its quirks and get enough stick time it is. It could be a great indoor heli if HH would fix the "swash return to starting point" bug in the FBL control system that rears its ugly head when applying rudder inputs. That said, you can learn to do some fun stuff with it.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
kfrisbee
Registered Users

Many people with limited experience will be frustrated with the mSR X indoors and some will never get past it and quit the hobby.

Many people with limited experience will be persistant with the mSR X indoors and have a blast flying it.

The mSR X is what you make of it. For ME, it's the perfect indoor heli. I flew a 3ch coax and a few different 45deg flybarred helis and found them to be boring. This heli is a real challenge but since starting to fly it at the end of January I have good control in my small indoor areas (living room and office), I am doing slow circuits right and left, slow piros and can pretty much land on a CD in any orientation from any direction.

Oh, the first time I ever picked up a heli transmitter was on Christmas morning 2011.
DX6i
kfrisbee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
BigRHS
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrisbee View Post
Many people with limited experience will be frustrated with the mSR X indoors and some will never get past it and quit the hobby.

Many people with limited experience will be persistant with the mSR X indoors and have a blast flying it.

The mSR X is what you make of it. For ME, it's the perfect indoor heli. I flew a 3ch coax and a few different 45deg flybarred helis and found them to be boring. This heli is a real challenge but since starting to fly it at the end of January I have good control in my small indoor areas (living room and office), I am doing slow circuits right and left, slow piros and can pretty much land on a CD in any orientation from any direction.

Oh, the first time I ever picked up a heli transmitter was on Christmas morning 2011.

+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DX8, 1 Brushless MSRX, 1-130X, Venom TX case
BigRHS is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
MarkNak
Registered Users

Edwii. Those settings are awesome! I was able to actually hover the MSRX this afternoon! All the way till I crashed hard enough to move the motor mount on a Rakon frame. So now it back to the shop. But those settings are just what I needed.

Thanks!

Mark N.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
lespaulrob
Registered Users

I have the MSRX as my first "real" heli and totally learned to fly it indoors. It's a great little bird, but you have to be realistic and know that you will crash a lot. Even the most experienced guys crash and this bird can really take a beating. It's pretty fast and you have to make small adjustments, but I can land on a CD as well (as someone on here said), but I started trying to just stick it on a poster board, then half that, then a magazine, then a CD.

At the end of the day, you have to remember: "The MSRX doesn't suck, you suck", so keep practicing!
lespaulrob is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #26
jackal
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm loving this heli indoors. I had some experience with a cx3 and blade 400. I sold the blade 400 after mastering hovering but could never forward flight without losing orientation and crashing costing $.
I have crashed the msrx a few times but it still works fine. I have been able to learn nose in hovers and forward flight. I can also complete right hand circles and now I have done the mm mod I can do left turns and circles. All within a week using the stock controller. I love this bird.
jackal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #27
Darwin.
Registered Users

I started with the mcx2 and it does help with orientation but I do think the msrx is a great beginner heli if you use the flight school type of training and take it slow. this is a tough little bird and the DX6i is a great match. each friend I borrowed this to has bought one and can hover decently within two days of practice (and we're old guys) and it's still my favorite indoors.
Darwin. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #28
BigRHS
Registered Users

I love my 2 MCPX's, and several people told me that after I started flying Cp type heli's like the MCPX that I would no longer want to fly the MSRX, but at least for me that hasn't been the case ! I still enjoy flying my 2 MSRX's and as a matter of fact, burnout boy is going to build me a brushless model which will make it even more fun to fly !

It really helped me get prepared for the MCPX. When i first started flying the MSRX I thought it was so fast and hard to control inside, but now it seems slow and I can do just about anything i want inside with it, and it all comes from flight time. I practiced and practiced my orientations over and over but that's what it takes. And then you have to push yourself to try things you think you can't do and the toughness of this bird allows you to do that and it's cheap to fix for the times you do brake something !
I know there are a lot of people that either don't like it or hate the MSRX, but i am not one of them and it was a terrific trainer for me !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
koi-fish
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhero View Post
I just sold my MSR and have a 120SR that I use outdoors. How good is the MSRx? I read some of the forums and it seems like a handfull for some. How would you rate it? Should I get my MSR back????
I kept the msr (I have 2) for indoor flying as I have a small home and if I twitch wrong, the msrx goes into the wall as there's no time to correct. Also, as I mentioned in the msr forum, the msr works very well when it comes to chasing the cats............

I break out the mostly stock msrx sometimes inside, but only in the living room where I have a little more time to correct if I mess up.

"It's not getting any smarter out there, you have to come to grips with stupidity and make it work for you" - Frank Zappa
koi-fish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
MrRoboHeli
Registered Users

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums for a little bit now as I'm considering the MSRX as my next heli. I've got experience flying FP with flybars (MSR, GW 9958, WL V911) and the FBL system in the MSRX seems to be veerrrry interesting. I've also got John Salt's recent book (got it for learning the MSR) so the parts about the MSRX's idiosyncrasies on takeoff seem to be manageable. This forum talks all about the MMM mod, so I can do that. Then other useful mods seem to be the RKH blade grips, potentially a CNC swash from one of the 3rd party vendors, and a MCPXv2 tail/motor assembly. I've already got a DX6i so I'm good to go there.

While this heli seems to have gotten a lot of flack from people, it does appear from the folks who are active in this forum that it's quite a fun little beast once you figure it out. Anyway I've got some b-day money to spend and it might just be on one of these soon...
MrRoboHeli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
koi-fish
Registered Users

ya take the plunge...get good with it, then put a brushless motor on it and go full tilt.

"It's not getting any smarter out there, you have to come to grips with stupidity and make it work for you" - Frank Zappa
koi-fish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #32
MrRoboHeli
Registered Users

Hi all.

My MSRX came yesterday but I only had time to make sure it would bind to my DX6i and verified that the motors worked.

Today I tried it out for the first time. I was REALLY cautious with it and only got it up into tail-in hovers. I got the updated version of John Salt's MSR/MSRX/SR120 book and set up my DX6i like he recommended (well, the beginner baby-step settings for now!!!) I was also ready for the heli wanting to slide to the left on takeoff so I started to get pretty good at compensating for that on takeoff. I've read about the MMM mod but I'm going to work on hovering a bit before I start trying to take things off and adjusting them. I did get one crash out of it when I started to do a slow piro and was trying to figure out the correct elevator mix to keep it from sliding around. I killed the throttle before it hit though so there didn't seem to be any damage (whew).

This bird is going to take some time to get used to! I've been flying flybarred FP helis (MSR, 911, 9958) for the past few months and so this guy is a whole new ballgame!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
chuck-o
Registered Users

I love the msrx indoors or out. Started out with a 120 a few months ago and got real good at crashing it in my living room, broke everything on it at least two of three times.
Once I wasn't crashing that anymore I bought the msrx.
immediately impressed with the smoothness and stability.
Fly with expo inhibited or a slight bit of negative, too much expo means you ain't gonna correct in time.
After about a thousand flights I can pretty much fling the thing around my living room.
Burned out a few motors but never broke more than a blade grip.
chuck-o is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #34
aalin13
Registered Users

Hi, I currently have a MSR for indoor flying, but the pendulum effect and the difficulty with turning left is bugging me. Was thinking about a MSRX to remove the pendulum effect and to make it feel more like a CP heli, but all these talks about flying quirks with the MSRX worries me.

Just wondering how do these two compares? And also why do they both have flying quirks, whereas the MCPX seems to be behave much better? I know that the MSR flying quirk is caused by the 45 degrees flybar, but what about the MSRX?

Cheers!
aalin13 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
nickypoo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
Hi, I currently have a MSR for indoor flying, but the pendulum effect and the difficulty with turning left is bugging me. Was thinking about a MSRX to remove the pendulum effect and to make it feel more like a CP heli, but all these talks about flying quirks with the MSRX worries me.

Just wondering how do these two compares? And also why do they both have flying quirks, whereas the MCPX seems to be behave much better? I know that the MSR flying quirk is caused by the 45 degrees flybar, but what about the MSRX?

Cheers!
I'm not familiar with the msr but I had a 120sr and the msrx is so much faster, wind friendly and even indoor friendly. It is quite different compared to flybared models when it comes down to how it flys but I get a lot of enjoyment out of the msrx. Flys like my mcpx but on a calmer level if that makes sense. I'm very glad I made the purchase after some tinkering
nickypoo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
billj747
Registered Users

I think its a great indoor heli. The more you fly a msrx you will get useto its small quirks and compensating for them will become second nature. Playing with the mixes on a programmable tx will pretty much eliminate all of it. Im happy with it.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
MrRoboHeli
Registered Users

So last night I went from the "baby mode" setup on my DX6i to the "standard" setup (as described in John Salt's book). I'm still taking off and hovering tail-in right now, but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with how the heli will move in one direction and then stay moving in that direction until I give it an opposing stick input.

Tried a couple of turns but I ended up crashing (throttle hold FTW!!!) and went back to tail-in hovering again. I did scoot the heli around my studio by tapping the rudder so that its heading would change but not in a way that the various forces at play would cause it to start sliding again. I've been reading this forum and the rcgroups.com forums and have been collecting a bunch of links on DX6i mixes to try out.

I haven't done the MM mod yet but that'll come after I experiment with my mixes, most likely.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
Pete32
Registered Users

Smile

The MSR X is great indoors for two BIG reasons. It doesn't ruin
furniture or break skin. It has its quirks but they aren't that hard to conquer.

I haven't had a complete flight without a crash or two.
(Maybe Biill Clinton would say: What do you mean by crash?)
It takes a beating real well. Just don't go smashing around. I had to learn to cut the throttle before impact.

I tried it outside in a mild wind today and had no trouble.
I tested a 30 foot powerless drop from 30 feet onto the grass and it fell harmlessly.

I plan on sticking with several MSR X 's for a long time.

One lesson I have learned is that upgrading to stronger parts just moves the breakages to other areas that cost more money. An example would be, tougher skids broke the frame, aaargh!
Pete32 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #39
BigRHS
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj747 View Post
I think its a great indoor heli. The more you fly a msrx you will get useto its small quirks and compensating for them will become second nature. Playing with the mixes on a programmable tx will pretty much eliminate all of it. Im happy with it.

+ 1
I love my MCPX's but i also love flying my MSRX's also ! just a nice FP heli for inside and out !

Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #40
aalin13
Registered Users

The more I read about it, the more I'm tempted to try out the msrx and see how it flies compared to my msr. I'm just concerned that I will be trading one set of flying quirks for another new set.

I'm still confused about why the msrx has all these quirks, but the mcpx doesn't, they are both micro helis of similar size, both FBL and both with a tail motor, the only difference is the FP vs CP, unless I'm missing something here, I'm baffled by it
aalin13 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help