Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
ferret30
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Acceptable economical gyro?

Now that my battery order from helihobby fell through (was in stock when I ordered, out of stock 3 days later when they got around to putting the order together), I have time to weigh gyro options.

I had been considering a Logictech 2100 for the 250, but some people have said you need a really good gyro to control the tiny heli. All I want to do is slow figure 8's, hovering/orientation (can save 3d for the bigger helis).

Would it make sense to take a 401 off one of my bigger helis, put it on the 250, and put something economical like the 2100 back on the bigger heli? I don't really want to put $160 into a sweet Align gyro for my 250 if all I'm doing is hovering and slow FF.

What gyros (other than 401 and GP700/750) have people had success with? Or do you just need a high end gyro to handle the responsiveness (a.k.a. twitchiness) of the little heli?
ferret30 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
blahblah9
Registered Users

i don't know about the trex250, but the hitec 5000 holds my gaui200 tail pretty decent, but it has to be setup mechanically in rate mode or it won't hold at all, found that out first hand today after fixing it after a crash. i had to move the tailboom and it wasn't put back in the same spot apparently and i got up in the air gave full throttle and the heli did a 180 on me. landed flipped to rate mode and sure enough the tail started to spin. so i adjusted till it didn't spin in rate mode anymore, flipped in HH and held my tail great for 2 battery packs
blahblah9 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
rotorhead58d

my flying style is pretty much what you described. i have a 2100T on my gaui 200. it takes some extra work to set it up, but you will be pleased with the performance. you MUST set it up in rate mode first.
rotorhead58d is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
ferret30
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the input so far. I am totally through with economy devices like telebee/zoom, etc. But I don't want to spend a ton ($150+) on a gyro for the 250 either.

This made me think of another question... If I don't have the proper battery (3S 850mAh) but I want to start getting servos set up, radio programmed, etc., can I set up my heli using a bigger pack (450 pack?) as long as I'm not running the motor? It seems to me that if they're both 11.1V then the capacity shouldn't matter. Then again, I don't want to fry components cause I'm using the wrong battery...
ferret30 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
erniefritz
Registered Users

that's fine to use a 450 pack to set up your servos and tail , you could even run up the motor while holding the heli to check tracking if you like , it won't hurt it , just don't try to fly with it , too heavy....
erniefritz is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.