Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Robird G31

Robird G31 RobirdUSA Factory Support Forum

View Poll Results: Still flying Robird?
Yes, regular flyer, still satisfied with the performance. 14 73.68%
Not currently flying due to better options in market. 3 15.79%
Retired the Robird permanently due to dead product no factory support, etc. 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Who's still flying Robird?

Always wanted to start a poll... Just getting my Robird tuned up. Not ready to bury it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have about nine in service, and three yet to be installed.

Still a d@mn good FBL unit!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post

Ah Chem,

I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. Would you happen to know what the cryptic mnemonics mean in the advanced developer tab?

Some are obvious, but a few are mysterious... like _maxI, _maxIc, _lock _kstop,_kr, _krcyc to name a few. I'm not sure what the program designer intended nor how far or ranges of settings that result in acceptable performance.

I have another post here in this forum with the specific parameters I'm curious about. It would be nice to know what they mean, so that I can tune more effectively.

I could not find anything online or in the Robird forums addressing the odd parameters... other than discussions about remote gains or Robird gov setups. I'm using the pot's and Castle gov set rpm.

I understand the "performance" tab fairly well and don't have trouble tuning those setting and seeing the net results in test flights. Just baffled on the developer tab. Also, I will mention that this my first experience with advanced FBL tuning. No previous vbar experience. Some ikon and 3GX experience... ikon seems to fly well on stock settings, 3gx just destroys small heli's in my hands and was the reason I chose Robird years ago... Robird will fly with stock settings just fine if you only desire to hover or do light sport flying with the default parameters... but now I'm finding that I need tighter cyclic and tail hold for "learning" more advanced stuff..

I'm testing the setting parameter settings with simple pitch pumps from flat attitude (tail in, skids down, no cyclic input) and then separate quick jabs to the cyclic fore/aft and separate roll for testing cyclic gains. I'm a beginner pilot learning orientations, circuits and basic flight. I have not crashed while flying Robird (jinxed myself). Just trying to tune it to fly more like a sim and closer to my ikon. I'm flying two Protos 500 models, 470 blades, 2450 HS for tuning (idle up2). My lower HS are about 2150-2200. One model has a Castle Edge Lite 100 and the other has a Kontronic Jive 60... governing is handled by the ESC's on both models.

Thanks!

Last edited by KC8CYF; 10-18-2016 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: rephrased question
KC8CYF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

KC8CYF,

"I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full."

My apologies sir! I dump things out and it fills up again-very quickly. I just made a bit more space in it.

"Would you happen to know what the cryptic mnemonics mean in the advanced developer tab?"

My apologies again-I never got into the Developer Tab. I have flown the unit on 450's, 360's, 550's, 600's, and 700's and, after learning how to tune it (which took me a while-sounds like you are already very familiar with the procedure) got to where I could get excellent results very quickly.

I don't know if he is still on the forums, but "PhantomGT" was one of the engineers for Robird, as I recall. When I had trouble initially, he helped me out a very great deal.

You might try sending him a PM, sir.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks Ah Chem

Thanks Ah Chem

I will PM PhantomGT if I can not get any further on my own.

Reading through the hundreds of posts I've managed to glean a few tuning ideas that contradicted my initial assumptions. I'm working on those for my next test flight. I may be fighting mechanics as well. Going to install the red head dampers on the Protos 500. Linkage and geometry is good according to the Robird setup.

Gain pots don't do anything unless I increase the cyclic P and D gains (doubled P gain to 1100,set D to 10, was 0 by default) in the developer tab; which also go hand in hand with slider adjustments for the agility feed forward gains on the performance tab. My initial elevator agility may have been too high using the 3D stock setting of 1700. Will find out soon...

FWIW the tail is holding fine with stock settings. The performance tab CW & CCW stops and gains will create or dampen oscillations like you would expect.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post

I retired mine in favor of 3DIGIs, same price bracket and even better than the Robird was.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3digi

Hearing very good feedback on the 3Digi's. My brother flies them with Jeti integration, governor works now, a multitude of other advantages as well... most importantly it is in very active support by the factory (designer/ test pilots and has a growing following). But outside my area of experience as I'm enjoying my Robird for the long haul on my Protos 500. Finally have tuned very well with verification from other pilots testing it. Tail hold is damn near perfect.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Still flying mine

No issues after 3 years. Wish they were still around!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

JerseySgt,

I could not agree more, sir!
Old 11-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 still in services...

Great unit ... Programing is easy....

MGPTWEGB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Rob ire still in use

I have them on at least 5 current Helis and have 3 or 4 NIB.

I'm building a Compass eXo with one and my EC Tiger scale build with a 4 blade rotor head has one.
Scott214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scott214,

OUTSTANDING!

The Robird is still a great FBL unit!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott214 View Post
I have them on at least 5 current Helis and have 3 or 4 NIB.

I'm building a Compass eXo with one and my EC Tiger scale build with a 4 blade rotor head has one.

Sounds about same as me, 6 on heli's (nitro and electric), 1 that is going on a scale Trex 500 and also 2 NIB. I might crack out 1 of the new ones when I can get a hand on a new Trex 500x!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flyingzook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have it in my trex 250👍
Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pulled my 450 Black angel (360-380 stretch) back off the shelf and grabbed the parts box ,with the parts I ordered after hooking a parking bump coming in low to drag skids. Nearly a rekit.
Happily running the G31 on this bird.
Much better than the M beast clone it replaced. I almost put a brain on it for auto level/ bailout. But I am still waiting on Bluetooth and USB nodules for it.

Fell in love with the robird after a quick but precise setup, and a spot on maiden flight. A few tweaks later I was hooked. Developer options, dual Sat's, governor, and vibe analysis. Why did this thing get pulled off the market?? I feel like the awesome budget price, made alot of people look toward other units, either thinking that it didn't cost enough to be quality, or not being able to say look what I got the newest high dollar unit u probably can't afford.
Either way it was a nice unit when I got it and it has served me well for a long time. Sure no new features but it will continue to fly as well as it always has.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still flying Robird!

Old Warped Richard 20170606 Compass Warp from Experience RC (2 min 38 sec)
Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where can I buy a Robird G31 or its equivalents now? I already have one but will want 1 more heli..
Hummingbird FP (sold) | MS Hornet 2 ( RIP) | Swift 16 (Retired) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Pheonixtech TT360 Beast X V3 (Sold) | Laheli MaxiR (Sold) | ARK "480" Plus (Failed) | Forza 450 Ex (Sold) | Blackangel CX450 DFC
MHN777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look on Ebay and also here on HF.

They still turn up, occasionally.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHN777 View Post
Where can I buy a Robird G31 or its equivalents now? I already have one but will want 1 more heli..
I've got one, you anybody's willing to pay international postage.

Can put it in the famous auction site if there is interest.
Dr.Rudder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one that needs a new home. Bench tested a while back and in storage since, never flown, never crashed. No idea what they sell for. Send me a PM if interested.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in