Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering

Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pads for FBL control

This is about materials and approach rather than pros or cons of Align.

I have two "big" helis, both Align: Trex 450 and Trex 600. They are each equipped with 3GX. The 450 is converted to DFC from Sport V2 and has 2 Align pads with a metal plate in between. The 600 is a stock 600E Pro with a perfect site for the 3GX and one pad underneath it (per instructions).

The 450 still has a minor wobble occasionally but seems remarkably sensitive to any vibration (e.g. differing blade tightness on main blades). I cannot claim to have the world's most vibration free heli but I must be on the way there as the 3GX + mounting gives problems unless all is nigh on perfect!

I have posed my crash question in the main forum. However, I am keen to rule out "crazy" instructions from the 3GX due to vibration.

Please can anyone advise what kind of mounting is required. Is a pile of foam pads a good idea? Would thicker gel pads be better? I understand the metal plate as an added mass - is this to be recommended as a standard fit?

Nano-CPX, MCPX BL, T-rex 450 Sport V2 now FBL, T-rex 600E PRO/Vbar

Last edited by gorlandheli; 03-23-2015 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: correction
gorlandheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried mounting it with a single pad only?

Too much tape can cause the unit itself to wobble on top of the pile. You may also want to drop the swash gain a bit to make it less sensitive to small vibration.
Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Fauropitotto...

I hadn't thought to reduce swash gain but it seems like a very good idea.

I did have less material before the present set up and that seemed worse. Practical damping & vibration isolation are challenges with which I am not well versed.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorlandheli View Post
Thanks Fauropitotto...

I hadn't thought to reduce swash gain but it seems like a very good idea.

I did have less material before the present set up and that seemed worse. Practical damping & vibration isolation are challenges with which I am not well versed.
I know you already have the 3GX, and I get that no one wants to spend money for no reason, but consider the fact that most decent brand modern FBL units today are pretty much vibration immune and can be hard mounted with a single piece of 3M double sided tape and fly perfectly. Only the FBL units with self leveling using accelerometers need a softer mount, and even they can be rigid mounted and fly perfect if the SL portion is not needed.

Bottom line is the 3GX has a bad rep for a reason, and it may cost more in the long run to deal with its issues that may cause costly crash damage than to just move on to something that isn't plagued by vibe or other issues that all other brands managed to solve a couple years ago

Last edited by Xrayted; 03-25-2015 at 04:46 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really have to wonder what it is they are doing in the 3GX. Why is it so bad?

It's actually interesting, Align released a couple of multi-rotors a couple months ago with their own electronics. I predicted they would be good frames, with crap electronics. It appears that's exactly what has happened. Lots of guys giving up and replacing the controllers with something else.

I'd be interested in the frame, but don't want to waste money on the electronics. Same problem I have with their helis.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I really have to wonder what it is they are doing in the 3GX. Why is it so bad?

It's actually interesting, Align released a couple of multi-rotors a couple months ago with their own electronics. I predicted they would be good frames, with crap electronics. It appears that's exactly what has happened. Lots of guys giving up and replacing the controllers with something else.

I'd be interested in the frame, but don't want to waste money on the electronics. Same problem I have with their helis.
I agree. Why is any other FBL unit or even cheaply made clone vibration immune and mostly trouble free, yet one of the best known names in RC helis own product terrible, and known for being impossible to properly tune or flying fine one minute and then just crashing a heli for no apparent reason the next?

Look up their GPS APM product and you will see the exact same thing...........story after story of camera ships and perfect flying helis otherwise being smashed into the ground.

Anybody wonder why Align helis are the most cloned heli of all yet there is no such thing as a 3GX clone Even they know garbage when they see it.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well thanks R_Lefebvre & Xrayted - I value your informed opinions and will be taking action accordingly.

I guess I am/was sucked into "it can't be all that bad if a major manufacturer can keep shipping product" (with below par electronics).

I was shocked about the quality/performance of the 6A BEC - perhaps I shouldn't be surprised about the 3GX.

Now in the market for 3GX replacements - 2 off required!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been a Skookum FBL controller for years, but they are expensive by most others standards, although you can get a Skookum 540 clear without governor for only $250 and upgrade and unlock additional features later if you like.

The Spirit is new kid on the block with the exact same functionally as the Bavarian Demon which is loved by all and even has a self leveling bailout feature for only $250 vs $450 for the BD.

Then there is the classic Beast X which appears to be one of the simplest FBL controllers to program and doesn't even require a computer to do so.

I've heard great thing also about the Robird which is only $89 if I remember correctly and is original and not a copy or clone of anything. Check with member Ah Clem for details as he uses them for a long time now and speaks very highly of them.

Then of course the great V bar in several flavors who pretty much invented the FBL controller.

Bottom line there are so many great, trouble free choices that you shouldn't have to waste time trying to pound a square peg into a round hole any longer.

You can try and sell your 3GXs, but you may find that you cant really even give them away. Most either tried to source kits without them on Ebay or stores elsewhere that were willing to pull them out for a discount, or just tossed them out of combo kits for a better FBL units.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Xrayted - I will not be pounding square peg into round hole any more! I posted on the main forum regarding FBL choice.

Fauropitotto - thanks for your comments here and on the FBL choice thread.

I now have some Lynx (gel) pad to trial - is this likely to be good for Vbar?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 3GX v5 with a couple of satellites installed in a Trex 500 for about two weeks now and didn't have a single problem due to malfunction. Just put it with 3m tape on the lower tray, I didn't even bother adding a foam or a metal plate. An electric 500 is not a 600 nitro in term of vibes, however no FBL unit is inmune to vibes. I suppose harmonics on the scanning frequency of the gyro may induce it into error.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in