Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Multi Blade Head-Set Up Questions

Hello, can someone direct me to a step by step video on how to set up a multi blade rotor head? In particular I'm looking to see what's involved in setting up a 3 blade head on a Century 600 size heli however I'm sure I coud adapt any multi blade set up to this particular model.

If there are no videos available is there a written process somewhere that can be passed along to me? I also need to know what brand and model flybarless controller I should be looking to buy to make this set up as easy as possible.

Thanks for the help.
HK500Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok this will be a complex answer...

Most important thing about any head (2,3,4,5 or6 blades) is phasing... To simplify.. To get a correct blade movement in the right part of the circle - 360 deg movement.
Youtube is full of videos on how to do phasing correctly. The "test" is referred to "blade over the boom"... When you set one blade over the boom and with the correct cyclic input that blade does not move...

Now phasing can be achieved in two ways...

Mechanically (most FBL heads for pod and boom helicopters

And

Electronically via the FBL giro...

For scale helicopters we tend to set phasing in the BFL units as the real helicopters have links parallel to the main shaft. Also with more blades the kinks form a cluster and correct mechanical phasing is hard to get.

But if you prefer to fly without a FBL giro then this is a must. I heard that phasing can be done with mixes in your tx but honestly never seen that done. I'm sure there are people on this forum that can...

Choosing the right FBL unit is up to your requirements and funds. You have decent units for decent prices and fancy units for... Fancy prices.
I believe century uses three cyclic servos so no need to search for a unit that supports 4 servo setup. Also if you want self leveling or even a GPS add ins look for those. Bottom line it is up to your preferences and funds available.

Hope that answers some of the questions.

Gh
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mechanically phasing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phasing.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	601495  
Outrage 550 _my big love
flydoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, most radios and stabilization systems are set up for 90 degree phasing. So if you can set up the head and linkages to be at 90 degrees then you don't have to worry about electronically adjusting the phasing in the stabilization system. I used the blade over the tail boom method and it works fine. 3 and 4 blade heads are pretty simple to phase mechanically but on a 5 blade head the linkages gets pretty twisted and crowded so electronic phasing is helpful.

Simple blade over boom test. Place one blade over the tail boom and give forward and reverse cyclic inputs. The pitch on the blade over the tail should remain almost completely still. Loosen and twist the swash follower so that the linkage from the blade that is over the tail boom is meeting the swash at 90 degrees from the blade or is perpendicular to the blade. So if the blade is at 6 o'clock the linkage attaches to the swash at 9 o'clock on a clockwise rotation head.

The exception to all this is using one of the new plug and play heads that sets the 90 degree phasing for you. Here is a 3 blade plug and play head and swash that makes this all very simple.
http://www.scaleflying.com/3-Blade-P...ze_p_1797.html

I've used the four blade plug and play head on my Hughes 500D and BO-105 and I love them. Being able to eliminate the swash follower made for a much more balanced and smoother running head.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can mechanically phase the head at 90 degrees or use one of the plug and play heads then any stabilization system will work. If you need to electronically phase the head then you would want to use one of the stabilization systems that allows you to adjust the phasing electronically.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in