Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didn't see this link posted here..

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/201...&obref=obinsite
Diablo 700 14s / 700 12s / Logo 800 / 700 Extreme / Logo 600SE / Logo 690SX / Goblin 770 Carbon / Goblin 700 / BD3SX / Kontronik / Jeti DS-16 Red Racer #11..
chrisansilver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
Team members and close friends have asked though. This thread started and stayed on track with condolences and memories and then began to get muddied.

It's common freaking sense. Would you walk into his wake and say some of the rather horrible things posted here (just a few of these)? Or start saying he always flew unsafely and he died because of it and now all you're worried about are regulations?

Just because this is the Internet and is impersonal doesn't mean you shouldn't afford the same respect you would in a personal setting.

There are a ton of other threads out there where you can debate your heart out on this subject.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from Tapatalk using my Inspire 4g through ATT (meaning it's a wonder you can see this!)
We will have to agree to disagree. There are not a ton of other threads. I see one in the safety forum. This is a good place to talk about safety and it can be done with respect to Roman's family. I believe that Roman's father would want us all to be having a discussion about safety here and everywhere else on Helifreak.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Man killed in RC helicopter accident in Brooklyn Seaviewrotarywings@gmail.com

Deleted - no mas

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Man killed in RC helicopter accident in Brooklyn Seaviewrotarywings@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
We will have to agree to disagree. There are not a ton of other threads. I see one in the safety forum. This is a good place to talk about safety and it can be done with respect to Roman's family. I believe that Roman's father would want us all to be having a discussion about safety here and everywhere else on Helifreak.
You don't need a Ton of other threads with ppl cross posting about the same Topic. Here's one for you in the main forum that's received a fair share of action. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=562115
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am new to Helis but not aero modeling in general. The discipline I come from has instituted some safety restrictions over the years and they have taken hold over our community as a whole and people simply don't do the things the way the older guys used to.

I come from control line aerobatics. The model is tethered and never further than 70' away. The IC motors are started at full song and are usually .65-.75 sized motors. Two examples of safety regs that have taken hold are the safety thong and the starting stick.

A safety thong is a strap on my handle that connects to my wrist. If the handle comes out of my hand, and it has happened, the thong pulls tight and the plane is dumped and wont get away and into anyone standing close by, judges/spectators.

On my way up the ladder I NEVR EVER EVER EVER practiced with a safety thong. It was always a pain in the ass to use and too much hassle. It was uncomfortable. I just used one in competition. One evening I was flying with my brother and his son. For some odd reason I had a thong on. I guess I was getting ready for the up coming competition. I was at the end of the flight waiting for the shut down and land procedure. I was about 6' off the deck as normal. The model is still in full speed flight, about 60 mph real speed. This is a 65" wing span on a Saito 72 with a 15" carbon prop. A dove sitting on the edge of the circle took off just as a flew over and it stuck my control lines sending an oscillation up the lines and jerked the handle from my hand. The thong pulled tight and the plane dumped in about 10' from my nephew. If I had not been wearing the thong it would have hit him. I will never fly again without one. My kids will always wear them as well. Now if I have to go without one for some reason, training others etc I am extremely aware and very nervous. As the years have gone by the newer guys coming into the sport dont even know you can fly without one. Its just a given or you will be asked to not fly do to safety regulations.

Another example is the starting stick. I fly larger motors in my discipline and but an electric starter is not the way to go. Hand starting is more consistent. The old guys just stick their fingers in there and go, even on the 15" carbon props. NOT SMART! But when I went to the larger motors about 10-12 years ago I started using a piece of heater hose as my chicken stick.. I am so used to it I start my .15 sized motors with it. It's force of habit. Its not a regulation by any known group but one I have on myself that i adhere too. I also see alot of up and comers doing the same thing. They just dont hand start like the old days. Fingers over the prop are not smart and its a good thing people are getting away from that in our sport.

I feel that if competition and funfly demos would put a hard deck and a distance regulation and enforce it with a "one warning then you are out" policy the pilots would then need to practice routines and flying at the new prescribed regulations. After a while close in flying would not be such a normal occurrence and when it did happen it would be very easy to see just how dangerous it really is. It would be self regulating after a while and the newer guys coming up would already practice at the new regulations and wouldn't know any better. . It would become a normal way or operation in no time.

Are the organizers really ready to handle this?? It only takes one brave organizer to blaze the trail of safety. I promise you it wont deter the interest in the hobby one bit, but might actually enhance it.
Blade 70 S!!
Furias15x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

having a disscusion , and being disrespectful due to the circumstances are 2 wayyy different things. keep this in mind people.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's sad to see all these comments about whether or not these are toys, the cause of the accident, the way hew flew and if his flying style was his downfall.

This is not the time nor the correct thread for these types of comments.

I never new Roman or his family but I feel sorry for them in two ways, their loss and the unneeded comments on the thread.

I'm an admin on a few sites and if this happened on any of mine I would be knocking some heads together.

RIP Roman, my condolences to his family. And I hope they don't see this thread.

All the above is just my personal opinion.
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

ReadyToCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonHobbyFreak View Post
Bert Kammerer, one of the best pilots, about a foot and a half away from his spotter, and about equal with his own body:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...UAFmYODEU#t=12

This is the scariest Tareq Alsaadi video I have seen so far, being done at a public place and at night as well. He is not invincible either and I have seen videos of him crashing.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonHobbyFreak View Post
I fully agree, but everyone wants answers now, so I was trying to put things together. No matter how it happened, it is a tragedy.
Who cares if people want answers now. Speculation doesn't give them answers, it gives them nothing but speculation. People that want answers want the truth...not speculation.

| Agile 5.5 | Goblin 500 | T-Rex 450 Pro DFC | 130X | mCP X BL | Nano CP X | Nano QX |
(and a ton of planes)
{}{steve}{} is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Who cares if people want answers now. Speculation doesn't give them answers, it gives them nothing but speculation. People that want answers want the truth...not speculation.
I agree. The truth about what happened (with out graphic details) is what's going to help prevent something like this from happening again. If he was flying to close, then so be it. That was his choice and it's fine, so long as no one else was put in danger. People participate in extreme sports all the time that put themselves in danger. Look at the recent death of the guy who bounced himself off a mountain side while skimming the surface in a wing suit. Extreme sport with extreme danger. Now if what I've read elsewhere is true and this young man had a GoPro running, I think the vid should be released (obviously stopped a moment before impact) to let everyone see exactly what happened. If the heli folded or some other mechanical problem can be seen before it hit him, then we'll know. If he just flew it into himself, then let if be shown so others thinking about that flying style can think twice about it. Especially the younger, more impressionable kids who are attending flyins. His death is absolutely tragic and my heart goes out to his family, but I certainly hope the cause of it is not sugar coated when a very valuable lesson could be learned from it.

More stuff than there is time to fly it.
AFjetmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I'd like to know why the news articles are bandying about this 6-pound figure for a T-Rex 700. The only way a T-Rex 700 is going to be anywhere close to 6 pounds is sans batteries, and it appears from the photos of him and his heli that it was an electric. The heli that hit him was likely 10-12 pounds.

My initial thought when I heard about this incident was that he was flying too close to himself when a mechanical failure happened. It's something I worry about every time I see a pilot flying like that. Whether or not that's an accurate assessment in this case, I'm hoping this incident will get those pilots to back off a little for their own safety as well as the safety of their spotter and onlookers, but I fear it won't. The AMA safety rules set a minimum distance of 25 feet, but too many people ignore that.
Amen to that! It's just not worth the "thrill" to have these buzz-saws fly at you, or so close to you. Like has been said in previous posts, it really doesn't matter at this point who's fault is was, the pilots, or the helicopters. The fact of the matter is that this type of flying goes on in competition after competition and honestly we are darn lucky that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I think if anything the sanctioned events should require a minimum safe distance of the helicopters and the pilots/spotters. And the maneuvers that bring the helicopter straight at you at high speeds should be banned. There is simply no time to react, other than flinch, when a helicopter is moving fast toward you and you either loose control or something breaks in the Heli. Let's all fly safe and respect the machine for what it is and prevent this type of accident. Close proximity is not "cool". It's dangerous and obviously can get you killed! Fly safe!
AMA #969521
billmjam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

In all of this has anyone seen anything written by, spoken with or heard in ANY way from any of the top level pro pilots? I've heard Todd Benett speak out against this type of flying. I think it was he who told me of a competition a few years back where one of the judges, perhaps Jason Krause?, stopped the proceedings long enough to hold a safety stand down. Lately I've heard nothing from any of our "supposed" industry leaders. Has anyone else wondered where they are?

In racing it often took the top drivers stepping up and saying. "Hey guys, we just lost a friend here and not to something we didn't all see coming which is the saddest part of it all. It's time that we as a peer group get together and do something about it. Theres no point looking at the past in an attempt to incriminate. Whats done is done & to one extent or another we've all either been willing participants or complicit in granting our approval through lack of word or action. We need to look to the future and again, as a group, find a way to continue participating in the sport we love while finding a way to mitigate these known risks to the best of our abilities."

To a large extent public culture and behavior starts at the top with those in the public spot light. You guys have a choice. Action or inaction. Either will have an impact going forward. I realize that many of you are still barely more than teenagers, nevertheless, you are for the most part of legal age and in a position of leadership. I ask you what kind of legacy do you want to be remembered for in the years and decades to come? As an absolute nobody in this hobby I issue this challenge to the aforementioned. Time to lead fella's!
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
In all of this has anyone seen anything written by, spoken with or heard in ANY way from any of the top level pro pilots? I've heard Todd Benett speak out against this type of flying. I think it was he who told me of a competition a few years back where one of the judges, perhaps Jason Krause?, stopped the proceedings long enough to hold a safety stand down. Lately I've heard nothing from any of our "supposed" industry leaders. Has anyone else wondered where they are?

In racing it often took the top drivers stepping up and saying. "Hey guys, we just lost a friend here and not to something we didn't all see coming which is the saddest part of it all. It's time that we as a peer group get together and do something about it. Theres no point looking at the past in an attempt to incriminate. Whats done is done & to one extent or another we've all either been willing participants or complicit in granting our approval through lack of word or action. We need to look to the future and again, as a group, find a way to continue participating in the sport we love while finding a way to mitigate these known risks to the best of our abilities."

To a large extent public culture and behavior starts at the top with those in the public spot light. You guys have a choice. Action or inaction. Either will have an impact going forward. I realize that many of you are still barely more than teenagers, nevertheless, you are for the most part of legal age and in a position of leadership. I ask you what kind of legacy do you want to be remembered for in the years and decades to come? As an absolute nobody in this hobby I issue this challenge to the aforementioned. Time to lead fella's!
+1000.

Well said Steve.

I have to wonder though, when flights by world champions - that are promoted by the manufacturers representatives - contain things like this, is anything ever going to change?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think it's a good thing he died. I do think some good things can happen because of it. I can't make anyone do anything different but there people out there with influence that can. I wouldn't think any less of a pilot's skills if some distance was put between them and a wicked fast hurricane.

Brad G
> JR XG8
bradg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

To the person who PM'd me saying my post was very distasteful and the picture was removed by a moderator - I did not post anything out of mal-intent - it came straight from a new site!

And to whoever says it's a good thing this happened - what a shitty attitude!

It's terrible news, and I've already posted my condolences on a few of his youtube videos (that I'm sure his family will be watching / seeing)

Very sad news indeed.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive really been thinking about this a lot. I cant even imagine what his father must be going through, having been there, and having to witness it. just devastated.

having seen his videos, he seems like such a good kid, which is becoming a rarity in these times.

badass pilot too. much love brother.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Bryan View Post
ive really been thinking about this a lot. I cant even imagine what his father must be going through, having been there, and having to witness it. just devastated.

having seen his videos, he seems like such a good kid, which is becoming a rarity in these times.

badass pilot too. much love brother.

The Media likes to over dramatize the story.. Lets get this clear. The father was not there to witness the accident. He was not at the field. They like to make up stuff to get things to sell. Also there was a video of a so called expert "WheyRoberts" , who indicated that,"looking by the video of him flying i could tell that there was something going on with the heli as there was a lot of oscillation". That video was not of him flying a heli, it was a qav 500 that I helped build and they were maidening. Junior would never attempt to land a trex 700 at a table he was sitting in.

RIP Roman Pirozek Jr. 1/11/94 - 9/5/2013

Last edited by johnjonfenomenon; 09-11-2013 at 06:28 AM..
johnjonfenomenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Most importantly, this discussion sheds a light on the potential risks.

Many hobbies have them. And it's good to be aware of them. As with scuba diving, rock climbing and skydivers wing suits, there's a certain amount of danger lurking.

No matter what it is, take the necessary precautions, and don't do anything that puts other people at risk.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #220 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the next few months while this is fresh in the public mind (if they have one) when flying in a public place and someone objects to that dangerous thing, best you smile, make agreeable noises, pack it up and leave.
By Christmas time it will all be forgotten and business as usual.
InTheDirt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in