Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default if you can auto a 450 well

can you auto anything else as easy?
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The basic mechanics are the same, but you have to adjust for the feel of the weight and head speed of a different size helicopter.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say yes, as long as you mean going up in size...

If you can consistently successfully auto your 450, you should be fine autoing anything larger. 450's are fine (and fun) to auto, but they don't store much energy in the head, so you tend to have to put them on the ground quickly, and on the first try. There's simply no "hang time" in them unless you've got a good solid head wind.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
I'd say pretty much yes. Including the box it came in.

Some 450s can be modified so the tail rotor does not spin during an auto. These are easier. If you are autoing something like a stock 450X (no tail freewheeling mod), then anything lager is a breeze. Anything smaller will still auto like an elevator with a cut cable.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned to auto on a 450 and a 600 was my next helicopter. I know you can screw it up but it really feels like you can't haha. A 500 glides and flares a lot better and a 600 and upwards just floats forever.
JoshNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yea, I using a 450 pro with a fbl head.i think the problem with my bigger ones[up to 700] is the $$$ pucker factor. with the 450 a screwup is no big deal $ wise, so I enjoy them..
Old 11-27-2015, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I know the feeling but to be honest, with a 600 and bigger the chance of doing any damage is almost nil. Once you're in a gentle glide - not a lot can go wrong. I have done thousands of autos with my 600 of all kinds, it doesn't seem to matter if you come down almost vertically, or grease on at 15mph without a flare it is always just happy with it. Where the 450 splats if slow and trips if fast, the 600 didn't mind either.

I burnt out a glow plug beyond a hedge line one day and used up everything she had keeping it in sight above the hedge, barely missed the top coming over, could count the blades going past by this point. Fell like a rock the rest of the 10m hedge. Skids pancaked and cracked, muffler took a dent on the ground but that was all I damaged lol... Stayed upright etc. So you can't do any worse than that

All that aside, I reckon just do it You'll have time to think about this thread and wonder why you didn't try it sooner while it's gliding.

Have fun good luck!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say yes. I've auto'd everything down to an mCPX (including 450s, 300s, 250s, 130s). A club mate built an OWB for it and I saw my opportunity

I'd also claim it works the other way round, if you can safely auto a large helicopter from any orientation and position and do whatever maneuver you want during that auto, you can easily auto something smaller.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Time for the autoing a 250 video again.

Paul doing an auto with his Trex 250 (2 min 43 sec)
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Time for the autoing a 250 video again.

Paul doing an auto with his Trex 250 - YouTube
Wonder if the fly bar helps autos for the 250. Looks to have a lot more spin after landing.
thepiper92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
From what I've experienced if you can auto a 450 everything bigger only gets easier.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
I'd say yes. I've auto'd everything down to an mCPX (including 450s, 300s, 250s, 130s). A club mate built an OWB for it and I saw my opportunity

I'd also claim it works the other way round, if you can safely auto a large helicopter from any orientation and position and do whatever maneuver you want during that auto, you can easily auto something smaller.
Would love to see a video of a 130 auto from over 60ft (that is not just a crash). Trying to keep enough speed in the blades on that size is quite a challenge (tail drive resistance would be a killer - ideal would be a tail freewheeling setup - like a warp 360).

If anyone could pull it off, it's you Johnny31297.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Would love to see a video of a 130 auto from over 60ft (that is not just a crash). Trying to keep enough speed in the blades on that size is quite a challenge (tail drive resistance would be a killer - ideal would be a tail freewheeling setup - like a warp 360).

If anyone could pull it off, it's you Johnny31297.
Yepp, it was rather a controlled crash than an emergency landing (same for the mCPX). I think it took like 3 attempts until it came to a rest on the skids, but then it was a valid auto. The guy with the OWB 130 sadly left our flying club a while ago, but maybe the guy with the mCPX still has it and would let me fly it again, then I'll shoot a video!
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I successfully autoed my 500L several times today. This is the smallest heli for me so far, and a new personal record, as to say.

I had a Warp 360 that's known as an auto - capable heli, but I never could auto it properly. The Warp doesn't drive the tail rotor during the auto, and I don't like it. A matter of personal taste.

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
I successfully autoed my 500L several times today. This is the smallest heli for me so far, and a new personal record, as to say.

I had a Warp 360 that's known as an auto - capable heli, but I never could auto it properly. The Warp doesn't drive the tail rotor during the auto, and I don't like it. A matter of personal taste.
I'm there with you I think, odd thing to lose control of your tail after a long glide. Sometimes you need it.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post

Think of it as practicing for losing the tail rotor and having to auto it down. It's weird for sure, definitely have to be moving forward to make it weather vane or it wants to crab sideways.

I much prefer to auto my Gaui X5 and trex 600n over the warp.
GAUI NX7, TREX 600N, Goblin 570, Gaui X3L, DX7G2, AMA#970963 Citizen 420
907Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A 450 floats like a feather compared to a 250! I can do inverted autos on a 450, but I'm lucky if I can auto the 250 more than half the time without potentially breaking something on it. Mine is really heavy, so it would probably help to put her on a diet, but it autos nonetheless. I didn't find the 500s to auto very well, but mostly due to big batteries and high disc loading. 600 class and up almost gets you in trouble because they have too much float and you have to dump the rest of the energy off before it gets close to the ground or you'll get bunny-ears.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

of course, after a perfect day of 450 auto's today I blew one in the wind. 1 busted blade. oh well.............not as cocky now....
Old 11-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Heli View Post
Think of it as practicing for losing the tail rotor and having to auto it down. It's weird for sure, definitely have to be moving forward to make it weather vane or it wants to crab sideways.

I much prefer to auto my Gaui X5 and trex 600n over the warp.
I did have the tail push rod pop off the back ball one day. Noticed the heli viciously wagging so flew a wide fast circuit up nice and high and killed the throttle. Glided down wagging all the way then landed spinning. Didn't do any damage, but definitely wasn't pretty. I have had that happen once, and 3 real nitro engine failures, I'm glad I had my tail for the 3 other ones lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in