Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX9 issues

Ok let me start by saying I do like this radio but come on, for $900 I shouldn't be having all these issues. I'll try and keep it brief. My story. Got my dx9 dec 31. Problem 1. Crappy sd card. I have heard from all that this is a issue, so no problem use my sandisk high speed card, able to do firmware update. No issue anyone. Problem 2 sd slot clip broken, sd won't stay in. Returned for a new one. Problem 3 (with second one) firmware updated to 1.09 however imports as multiple models. No matter what you do import/manual setup, creates 3 models. Hh tech support says problem with hard drive in unit, sent back waiting for third. What's going on with this $900 tx.

What issues have you had?
Porsche9284 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had my DX9 about a year and the only issue I had was with the originally supplied poor quality SD card.

Sounds like you've had an unfortunate streak of bad luck with DX9's lately. Hopefully with this last issue it'll all be behind you.
Gyropilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok abit confussed , where did you buy it from for $ 900

thats double cost as from HH : http://www.horizonhobby.com/category/radios
Old 01-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

its the black edition, and I'm in Canada. $833+13% tax that's was dec 31. Now it's $859+13%
Old 01-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear you've got what seems like a bad unit.

When the DX9 first came out, there seemed to be a lot of complaints about the LCD screen failing. Although HH denied any relation, it was awful coincidental that most reports of that problem were coupled with plugging something into the trainer port, such as a simulator or a trainer cable. Frankly, I haven't seen any new reports about this problem in quite some time. Nonetheless, I still use my DX8 for sim time and wireless trainer with the DX9.

My friend's DX9 has a bit of a bad spot on the scroll wheel. There's one spot where it will quickly advance two steps instead of just one. If you scroll it very slowly in that one spot you can get one step. It's a very slight annoyance but not really enough to send it in.

Fortunately, I haven't run into any hardware issues. I did something stupid once and pushed one of the rubber plugs for the adjustment screws all the way inside the radio! So my DX9 has been open so I could get that little plug out.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel your frustration. On the subject of SD cards. Problems are not directly related to the quality of the card itself. Its a formatting issue and can occur with what would be called a more quality card as much as it can the bulk cards that are supplied from the factory. If you have a card that doesnt work try reformatting it with the formatter linked in the How To documentation on the updates page. Do not use the Windows format tool.
It sucks and doesnt work many times.

Ive only heard one other report of the catch on the SD reader not functioning correctly. QC is a difficult task when sourcing components for hobby grade equip. Its a problem that has crept into many brands and products. One of the results of forcing manufacturing to China to be cost effective. HH will definitely make it right no questions asked.Thats a huge plus.

This radio doesnt have a hard drive per se but not unlike other hardware microprocessors can have random units that behave in odd ways when put into use that defy being caught in QC and weeded out.
The problem of multiple models being created seems to be a random problem.When it does happen its simple enough to delete the copies.
Once you do the problem usually doesnt reappear once you backup the files from that specific unit.

As for the cost. Your probably going to have to talk to your govt about that to an extent. The DX9 stealth package is 599 here. Ive read a but about what is happening in Canada.The VAT tax in reality is more like 50% instead of what they are claiming the rate is. 600 turns into 900 after VAT. To me thats a 50% tax. Im not sure what kind of math they are using to call it 17% or whatever they claim.Pretty sad.

Not to get off topic but Im seeing that in many places you guys are paying 8 bucks for a dozen eggs and 17 bucks for a gallon of milk?
Perhaps if we get rid of nations and borders and make the world one big happy family it will all be better? I tend to think these disparities are going to get alot worse before anything gets better.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can let them off on the sd card, as I have a few high quality ones.

However the multiple models is unacceptable for the cost of the radio and I have tried creating them manually and deleting just one, makes no difference. For this price is should just work. As for hh tech support they are not all on the same page. One said just we can send it in for repair, which is unacceptable for a new unit and the other person said replace with a new unit, "problem with hard drive" his words not mine.

With the can $ the way it is, nothing we can do about that.

To be exact we pay $4.39 for 18 eggs and about $3.97 for 3 litres of milk. I agree things will get a lot worse.

Last edited by Porsche9284; 01-18-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Old 01-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a few issues with Multiple models being created with an Import and also Unusable selections being created when adding a New one but was always able to delete them and keep only the ones I intended to put in there in the first place. Since going to AW v1.09 Im not having those problems anymore.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9284 View Post
its the black edition, and I'm in Canada. $833+13% tax that's was dec 31. Now it's $859+13%
I bought my DX9 Black Edition brand new at a local hobby shop on February 4, 2016 and paid $761 + 5% GST = $799.05.

Techman-2000
Alberta, Canada
Genesis X7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok let me start by saying I do like this radio but come on, for $900 I shouldn't be having all these issues. I'll try and keep it brief. My story. Got my dx9 dec 31. Problem 1. Crappy sd card. I have heard from all that this is a issue, so no problem use my sandisk high speed card, able to do firmware update. No issue anyone. Problem 2 sd slot clip broken, sd won't stay in. Returned for a new one. Problem 3 (with second one) firmware updated to 1.09 however imports as multiple models. No matter what you do import/manual setup, creates 3 models. Hh tech support says problem with hard drive in unit, sent back waiting for third. What's going on with this $900 tx.

What issues have you had?
As "aerocal" stated is more in the quality of the SD cards more so than capacity and/or class (related to transfer speed rates). I prefer to use brands like Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar, or Patriot which have a great track record for producing quality products.

As for capacity IMHO up to a 32 GB card is more than you will need for updates and model files. As for speed I have used Class 10 cards (with read speeds of 45 MB/second and write speeds of 10 MB/second) and they worked excellent every time without a hitch.

You could use a higher capacity card, but you would be paying more accordingly for extra space you probably will never utilize for your TX purposes. It all boils down to personnel preference. But don't sacrifice quality by buying some no name or generic cards, because 95% of the time the quality is not there, so you really didn't get a bargain on a card that is useless for your needs.

Happy Flyin'

Techman-2000
Old 02-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

What store did you get your from for 799 if you don't mind me asking. Actually got mine for 833+tax -20%.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What store did you get your from for 799 if you don't mind me asking. Actually got mine for 833+tax -20%.
Purchased mine At Great Hobbies in Edmonton, they price matched Hobby Alley and then knocked off 10% of the difference. Uber price matching which you can find the calculator on "Memory Express" website.

I buy all my parts there and most of my models too.

Techman-2000
Old 02-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Porsche9284
What part of Canada are you from if I may ask?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman-2000 View Post
Purchased mine At Great Hobbies in Edmonton, they price matched Hobby Alley and then knocked off 10% of the difference. Uber price matching which you can find the calculator on "Memory Express" website.

I buy all my parts there and most of my models too.

Techman-2000
Even if Hobby Alley is a bit higher in price, I'll always support Wayne before any other shop! Fantastic service.

Sorry, derail.

Steve
Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
Even if Hobby Alley is a bit higher in price, I'll always support Wayne before any other shop! Fantastic service.

Sorry, derail.

Steve
It wasn't anything to do with pricing, bought a heli there which had a lot of issues and took a while to resolve. I like to support the independent small business too, but my experience of service there was below sub standard and needless to say got more help from a competitor with that heli then I did from where I purchased it. To me prices are prices but service is a paramount factor as to who will get my business.

Techman-2000
Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in Mississauga, ontario. And bought at hobbyhobby. The service there is top notched.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in