Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 7HV build tips?

I am waiting on my new kit to arrive. While waiting I thought I would get prepared for the build and any extras I might need.

As the thread title suggests I am after any tips or suggestions for the build.

This is what I am putting in my kit:

690mm Align blades
KBDD EE 104mm tail blades
Futaba BLS 255 HV x 3 (cyclic)
Futaba BLS 256 HV x 1 (tail)
Align 700MX motor (510kv)
CC BEC Pro
Beast X
SJ PROPO 120A HAWK ESC
JR RG831B Receiver (for my XG8)
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

subscribed.

Looking at purchasing one of these since we have a local dealer now! But I am very new to compass, currently owning a couple trex's.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

my advice is

- Spend a lot of time getting the links nice and smooth (not loose) especially the tail.
- Wire the bec pro to one 6s pack only and only on the negative side of the esc.
- be prepared to be unsatisfied with the build as its practically done for you :-(
cupracing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych101 View Post
I am waiting on my new kit to arrive. While waiting I thought I would get prepared for the build and any extras I might need.

As the thread title suggests I am after any tips or suggestions for the build.

This is what I am putting in my kit:

690mm Align blades
KBDD EE 104mm tail blades
Futaba BLS 255 HV x 3 (cyclic)
Futaba BLS 256 HV x 1 (tail)
Align 700MX motor (510kv)
CC BEC Pro
Beast X
SJ PROPO 120A HAWK ESC
JR RG831B Receiver (for my XG8)

Cheers on your project, Psych101. What packs? I have the Gens Ace 5300's, but I'd almost prefer a lighter pack. There are some nice new higher C-rated packs now from Gens Ace at a great price. Maybe you have some down your way you guys like.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupracing View Post
my advice is

- Spend a lot of time getting the links nice and smooth (not loose) especially the tail.
- Wire the bec pro to one 6s pack only and only on the negative side of the esc.
- be prepared to be unsatisfied with the build as its practically done for you :-(
Thanks for the tips. I have some questions in relation to each of the points you raise as follows:

- What size ball link sizer do I need? I bought a cheap turnigy ball link sizer for my t-rex a while ago but it doesn't seem to do anything.

- What is the reason to run the bec pro off 6s only (castle website says it handles 12s)?

- Can the preassembled parts be trusted or should I break everything down, check and reassemble?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Cheers on your project, Psych101. What packs? I have the Gens Ace 5300's, but I'd almost prefer a lighter pack. There are some nice new higher C-rated packs now from Gens Ace at a great price. Maybe you have some down your way you guys like.
I have some Gens Ace 30C 5300s on the way.

Guys at my field are flying 30C zippys and swear by them. Not sure why as they complain about bad cells, dying packs etc. They are good value for money when you get a good pack though (around $50-60 for 5000mah).
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'll love the 5300 Gens, I run them on the 550E.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
You'll love the 5300 Gens, I run them on the 550E.
Me too
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

are you planning on running the GOV with the HAWK? The HAWK has a good price on it, but trying to find some reviews on them.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych101 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I have some questions in relation to each of the points you raise as follows:

- What size ball link sizer do I need? I bought a cheap turnigy ball link sizer for my t-rex a while ago but it doesn't seem to do anything.

- What is the reason to run the bec pro off 6s only (castle website says it handles 12s)?

- Can the preassembled parts be trusted or should I break everything down, check and reassemble?
I would trust the frame, but still check all the screws for proper tightness. Everything else like head and tail rotor/ assembly should be reassembled and locktighted. I am sure you've seen a post about it but just in case, pull out the dampeners and grease them before reinstalling.
Also, don't install your tail servo before making sure you've lined up your main shaft and leveled your servos, the tail servo will block access to 1 or 2 of the screws needed to adjust.
Last spend lots of time on getting the tail assembly silky smooth or you'll have wag issues, my stock tail is dynamite on my 7HV, holds tight in hard backwards inverted.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good governor is yet another selling point for Vbar. I know the Beast X flies great. Without an ESC with a reliable integral governor, it's really going to be throttle curve control.

Feeding you BECPRO from 6S is just a better choice, in most folks's view. Although Castle BECPRO units seem to be doing well, it's less stressful to the components in the BEC to run from 6S. Just because they say you can isn't a great case for running on 12S.

Hope you enjoy your new machine!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

1) Ground the Boom to the motor mount.
2) Take the tail grips apart and check the order of the races for the thrust bearings (and grease the thrust bearings). Both Belcom and Myrseth have pointed out, several times that, occasionally, the thrust bearing races are assembled in the incorrect order by the factory or by people taking them apart to lubricate them).
3) Take the dampers out and lube them with silicone grease (inside and out).
4) I installed RC Booya mounts for the canopy (I kept misplacing the thumb screws).

That is all I can think of, at the moment.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also considering either a 7HV or an E720 for my next build. I like the straight forward simplicity of the 7HV, but some people say the E720 flies better.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

NRPY,

I cannot comment on the E720, but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the 7HV, sir.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

im still building mine because i needed the satellites for the vbar. a couple of things you may or may not need though are the servo arms with holes at 17.5mm and extension wire for the esc.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can anyone recommend a socket driver that will fit the tail blade holders in order to remove the nut on either side of the spindle. Nothing I currently own will fit. Thanks...
ambravo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Good governor is yet another selling point for Vbar. I know the Beast X flies great. Without an ESC with a reliable integral governor, it's really going to be throttle curve control.
Let me introduce you to the magic that is 100% TC
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Let me introduce you to the magic that is 100% TC

Maybe I need to give it a try some time. Might learn something. Did you see me linking to your old Shoe Goo on the canopy grommets trick in the canopy wear post? I remember everything you tought me, master.

What is the "magic"? It's not like blue smoke seeping out from my Kontronik 120HV is it?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I've found govs tend to do funny things to the tail..... well .... it has been awhile since I last tried a gov and my opinion is rather dated. But I've never had a problem with a balls to the wall TC so i never felt the need to try out the various escs with govs (how many times have ppl claimed the CC was finally ready for prime time...).

Tomorrow I start building my first 90e !!! Unfortunately i ended up buying a yge so I will be forced to use the gov.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambravo View Post
Can anyone recommend a socket driver that will fit the tail blade holders in order to remove the nut on either side of the spindle. Nothing I currently own will fit. Thanks...
The tail blade grips actually come apart in halves - take the bolts out of each grip and remove the grip from the spindle, then you can use a regular socket on the nut.
ddddave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in