Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stratus: a few questions

Today our Stratus made it's maiden and so far it flies very stable and smooth, but it makes squeeching noises (the front tail drive gear I think)
and the tail has a major drift. How should I mount the 611 sensor, I mounted it with 2 tapes and the metal plate, and wrapped some velcro around..
And second question, how do I set the front/rear backlash correctly ? How much play should be there.
The fuel magnet was swollen up after the first tank, is that supposed to be like that ?
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im not sure whether you "need" the metal plate on the stratus but I use it, ehh put tape on the bottom and put tape on the top and slap the gyro on there and then stick the other end on the heli where the gyro goes. Its probably fine how it is now.

Loosen the mainshaft collars and the tail drive pinion gear. Adjust the gear forward or backword so when you pull up on the head the gear sits in the middle of the Crown Gear's teeth. After you've done that tighten the set screws, dont forget the loctite. Once they're tight, have a freind lift the model by the rotor head or if you can do all this at once go for it, you take and push the bottom collar against the bottom bearing and tighten it up. Then sit the heli on the ground and push down on the rotorhead as you pull up on the other collar and push it against the top bearings, tighten it up and your good to go. It may be rough at first but once you fly it and break it in, itll be fine.
ChrisLaFollette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLaFollette
Loosen the mainshaft collars and the tail drive pinion gear. Adjust the gear forward or backword so when you pull up on the head the gear sits in the middle of the Crown Gear's teeth. After you've done that tighten the set screws, dont forget the loctite. Once they're tight, have a freind lift the model by the rotor head or if you can do all this at once go for it, you take and push the bottom collar against the bottom bearing and tighten it up. Then sit the heli on the ground and push down on the rotorhead as you pull up on the other collar and push it against the top bearings, tighten it up and your good to go. It may be rough at first but once you fly it and break it in, itll be fine.
Chris not meaning to be rude but this bears no resemblance to how MA instruct you to ensure you have set the correct backlash on the tail gear to crown gear. The MA manual states that you should set the tail drive pinion so that the back of it is about 1mm in on the crown gear then you pull the main gear up onto the pinion so that it is tight against it. once you have tightened the two mast collars whisl the main gear is in this position you then move the tail drive pinion back so the edge of it is flush with the edge of the crown gear this will ensure you have set the correct amount of backlash in the two gears.

z
Zilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Everybody has there own ways.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Zilly,
The way you have described it above is the correct way. That is the same way that MA states to set the gear mesh between the front pinion and crown gear in the instructions.
I do it the way the instructions state and that is the way I have done it for many years.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

So you should have some backlash? I was told none to veryyyyy little. The guy who told me that also told me how to set it. So tell me David, how EXACTLY is it done right if im so wrong? Er should I say the freind who showed me the wrong way. Not you David.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Chris,
Just do it your own way. Doesn't matter if it is right or wrong.

Page 67 of Stratus instructions:
Quote:
With your hand, push the constant
drive assembly up so that the
crown gear is seated on the t/r
pinion gear.
Now position the pinion gear where
it just slightly extends past the
inside of the crown gear. See the
photo for the proper position.
Using a 1.5mm allen driver, snug
the socket screw marked in an
earlier step as being on the flat of
the t/r shaft.
Remove the socket head bolt from
the bottom main shaft retaining
collar, apply a small amount of blue
Thread lock to the threads of a
#0059 M2.5 x 6 socket head bolts,
and re-install it into the collar. Do
not tighten yet
Using two fingers push the constant drive assembly/crown gear firmly up against the pinion gear while
holding the lower retaining collar up against the middle mainshaft bearing. Tighten the lower retaining
collar. Do not overtighten these bolts as the collar can crack. The correct way to tighten these bolts is to
tighten until the socket head contacts the retaining collar and then tighten an additional ¼ turn.
Now just slightly loosen the pinion gear socket screw that you marked so that the gear can be
repositioned. Move the pinion rearwards until a smooth feel is achieved when the gears are rotated with
minimal backlash in the gears. Again lightly tighten the marked set screw on the pinion gear.
Now rotate the pinion gear 180 degrees. Apply a small amount of blue Thread lock to the threads on this
socket set screw and lightly tighten it onto the shaft. This will keep the gear from moving during the next
instruction.
You did read that when you built your Stratus?

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why is everybody so negative against me. Im not a friggen know it all and am not trying to be one if thats the way it seems. Im always open to learning new things and taking advice from people......

With the technique told to me, I always wound up with minimal to no backlash but with a smooth geartrain and the gear centered on the crown gear which is how it should be, I assume.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Did you balance the fan? Dial indicate it? Did you push the tailboom in all the way? When does it drift? In a hover, idle up 1&2? the 611 shouldn't drift. what is your gain set at? The 601/611 doesn't wag it vibrates since it's so fast. i had a problem were it would kick ever so slightly in a hover or idle up. I lowered the gain and presto it was gone. The Avant/ Freyas have a very fast tail and don't need so much gain. Are you in Avcs? it seems that the thread was somewhat hijacked. :? I mounted my sensor with two pieces on the bottom, the metal plate, then one piece of foam with the sensor on the top. Don't tighten the strap down on the sensor to much it's only there as a safe guard. yes the ElD foam will swell up like that. it's normal.
mevigavant is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for those many replies.

The tailboom is pushed all the way in. Fan dial indicated to 0.03 MM not inch. It is drifting from the beginning, in normal mode, idle up 1, and 2. The sens is set at 40%. When I flip idle up 2 in with the higher headspeed, the drift becomes less. The engine is still running rich, maybe this is the cause, actually ? Sure I am in avcs. The tail linkage is set up per instructions.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

alu-swashplate, when I first started flying my Stratus I chased a drifting tail for a long time in the end I moved the Gyro to under the battery tray and this resolved the problem however before you do that I would concentrate on getting your engine running right and ensure you are vibration free.

z
Zilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

What motor and pipe are you running?

Bill
Yellowjacket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi

Today I flew some 3D with the machine and all I can say is one word that describes it best: SMOOOOTH :glasses2: The drift is gone, you can fly it 3 feet off the ground with high speed and hands off the tranny, super neutral. Auto's are smooth and easy as well, the sound of this thing is... you can guess, smooth
It felt just right, like I fly it for many years. Words can't really describe it
I run the SZ w/o pump and the SB 18 pipe with 2 shims, cp 30 and OS8, new Vblades 690's, lighter canopy (180 grams) and carbonfiber landing gear. Weigths 4,5 kg dry. Flew my R90 and although it has more power, compared to the stratus it is loud, has a terrible sound and isn't even close as smooth. Don't like it anymore..

I need my own !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in