Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to the Nitro game

Hey guys,

I'm new to the nitro game, and have been flying electrics for some time. I recently built my first Trex 600 nitro pro, and was wondering what you guys recommend for starting these things.

I will be using an 18v cordless drill, what shaft should I be using to start it?
http://www.gforceheli.com/item/ProStart are these worth it?

Are there good/bad glow plug igniters out there?
What hand refueling pumps are good and which ones should I stay away from?

Thanks for your help, and if I missed anything please let me know.
jugi16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the Align starter, which I got used from a buddy for $50, including a lipo battery. Glow ignition is via the align 2 in 1 that comes with the combo kit, although I've heard good things about switchglo, which lets you rig up the ignition to your transmitter via a spare Rx channel. I use a six shooter hand pump, which fills the tank in less than 30 sec.

My understanding is a drill works just fine for starting, as well.
Futaba 8FG Super | Spektrum DX6i
drdrums is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6mm allen key as I recall maybe wrong

I would buy a flight box... holds battery and electric fuel pump and gallon of gas as well as has plug ins for glow starter and starter WELL WORTH IT
Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a Husky open top tool bag I picked up at Home Depot for $20 for my field bag. Holds a gallon of fuel, pump, starter, a bunch of LiPos for my 450 and 600 Rx, lipo charger, all my tools, loctite, CA glue, Dubro balancer, charging leads, etc., pretty much everything I need to build/service my heli if I have the parts around. If I leave out the 450 flight packs, balancer, and charger, I can stick a second gallon in there, but I don't fly that much in a day!
Futaba 8FG Super | Spektrum DX6i
drdrums is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vla
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdrums View Post
I use a Husky open top tool bag I picked up at Home Depot for $20 for my field bag. Holds a gallon of fuel, pump, starter, a bunch of LiPos for my 450 and 600 Rx, lipo charger, all my tools, loctite, CA glue, Dubro balancer, charging leads, etc., pretty much everything I need to build/service my heli if I have the parts around. If I leave out the 450 flight packs, balancer, and charger, I can stick a second gallon in there, but I don't fly that much in a day!
Can you upload some photos of your tool bag? I am interesting to change my old wood tool case. Sorry for the spam.
Vla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugi16 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new to the nitro game, and have been flying electrics for some time. I recently built my first Trex 600 nitro pro, and was wondering what you guys recommend for starting these things.

I will be using an 18v cordless drill, what shaft should I be using to start it?
http://www.gforceheli.com/item/ProStart are these worth it?

Are there good/bad glow plug igniters out there?
What hand refueling pumps are good and which ones should I stay away from?

Thanks for your help, and if I missed anything please let me know.
Anything from G-force heli is top notch. I doubt you'll have any issues with that adaptor.

Nitro Field Box- You can build this or buy one. I use a hobbyco field box but any tool box sufficient to hold your tools and fuel will work.

In the box- Fuel- fuel pump (I use Hanger 9- http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...?ProdID=HAN155), extra fuel tubing, clunk, inline filter, several glow plugs (these can go out any time, sometimes for no aparent reason), Long glow plug wrench, backup glow igniter (I use duo-bro http://www.rcplanet.com/Dubro_Kwik_S...r_p/dub666.htm) , alen wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, zip ties, knife (razor), locktite, volt meter.

On on-board glow igniters, you can go with a regulator that has a built-in igniter (Align, Perfect Regulators, Scott Gray Gryphon) or something like the Switch Glow.

I'm sure I've missed somethings but that's what comes to mind.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to www.rchelination.com and listen to the last 2 recent nitro episodes.. There is a great ammount of info there and they touch on just about everything you would need and wanna know about nitro.. These guys rock !!

Pay attention to the part where they talk about the align 2 in 1.. Great idea but I dont trust it !! If u listen u will hear why !! Also I have noticed that my pushglow wont start the heli sometimes { mostly the 1st start of the day } and when I put my glow driver on it fires right up. I think its because the pushglow isnt getting enough juice to really get the glow plug hot .. Like I said as soons as I put the diver on it fires right up..

Getting a glow extension that allows you to start it from the side is a great option to.. Eitehr way having both is a plus.. Its also nice to start with a driver and then have the push glow on when walking away to help keep it running untill u spool it up...

Dont know your fuel choice yet but I always reccomend Rotor Rage 20 percent of even the new masters blend 15 % .Its awesome fuel and I think alot of folks will agree !! I am now running the new 15 and it rocks !! Runs cooler and is cheaper .. Lots of pros are using it in the big motors and love it !!

Good luck and make sure you check out the Nation because its great info ~!!!
Alignnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For a starter, the Align starter has worked well for me.

The stock shaft wore out on me though, so I replaced it with the RJX shaft ($5) which has been holding up well. Get a high C rating pack, I have a 30C pack I use.

Glow igniters: I prefer to run a SwitchGlo Pro.

I HATED glow drivers. One more thing to charge, and always dead when I need them. The SwitchGlo is an on board igniter that uses receiver power to light your glow plug. If your RX pack is charged, you'll be able to light your plug!

Additionally, you can program your transmitter in conjunction with it to prevent hot starts.

I'll never own a nitro bird without one.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the Align 2in1, powers your servo's and the glow plug
Brian4301 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

the align 2n1 is less than 6v meaning your servos won't be performing at their best. Also, it's only 6A max. This is Ok for sport flybarred birds but if you're running flybarless and want to hit 3D, you may want to consider something with a bit more power.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the Align starter. I catch grief from other nitro peeps about it jack hammering, but it starts the heli just fine.

I used to have a 2 in 1 but ditched it due to reliability concerns. I now run a straight Lifepo4 and all my servos are 6v rated. I installed a pushglo and that's what I use to light the plug
Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

what servos are you using? 6v and LiFe?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanh View Post
what servos are you using? 6v and LiFe?
Futaba 9452 cyclic
MKS DS 760 tail
Hitec 6965 HB throttle

Microbeast FBL
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchekas View Post
For a starter, the Align starter has worked well for me.

The stock shaft wore out on me though, so I replaced it with the RJX shaft ($5) which has been holding up well. Get a high C rating pack, I have a 30C pack I use.

Glow igniters: I prefer to run a SwitchGlo Pro.

I HATED glow drivers. One more thing to charge, and always dead when I need them. The SwitchGlo is an on board igniter that uses receiver power to light your glow plug. If your RX pack is charged, you'll be able to light your plug!

Additionally, you can program your transmitter in conjunction with it to prevent hot starts.

I'll never own a nitro bird without one.
Yeah i have my switch glow pro, in conjunction with my tx, setup so that you can only turn the motor on when i am in throttle hold which eliminates possibility of hot starts.
*Perspective is key*
jgalen0025 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hobbico starter with shaft extension, with a 4s lipo. Switch glow or push glow. You cant go wrong! I would reccomend a better reg than the 2 in 1. Maybe a scott grey reactor, or arizona. I for one, just my opinion really dont like life batts. Drop off is a big concern to me.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in