Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default First Piro without crashing WOW

I did my first piro today with out crashing. What a rush. I graduated from flying the tx with pinch method to the thumbs and it is much easier. I feel more agile doing it this way. I have flown every day this week and have had not 1 crash. I look so forward to flying, the trex is such a rush. I bumped up my idle1 throttle speed to straight curve of 100's and the bird is so much more stable. Switching to idle1 has gotten easier this week, I was so afraid earlier of trying that. Now to just get some more sim practice so I can try a few stunts. What is the eaisest trick to try? Sorry to ramble but I am so stoked.
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations
don_87 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome, what a feeling!

Yes, more head speed = more stability! (Thank you finless for pounding that into my head!

Flying in idle up is great. I no longer fear the wind, I can "fly" the heli down whenever I want.

Personally, I think the easiest "stunt" is a stationary flip (either left or right). Just push up on the collective 100% and pull the cyclic. As the heli flips over, gradually reduce the collective until it's on the low side when the heli is upside down, then as the heli continues to roll, add more positve collective.

I can do it just fine on the sim, now if I can only try it for real!! :wink:
Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

lol @ glucoseboy
I can do it fine in the sim also, but too afraid still to do it in real life
I learn the hard way, crash alot, trying to learn stuff without crashing for a while, I spend more time in the air instead of at the table rebuilding
Old 09-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What exactly is a piro? Does anyone have a vid. I hear this term all the time.
HS-65MGs & 9650/401 Tail Combo using Parkflyer 6v BEC
Align 325 Woods
Hyperion Duo Charger
Speed_Freak_039A is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

piroutte, turn the heli clockwise/counter clockwise on its axis
spin the tail around
Old 09-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heli is held in a hover and full tail-rotor control is given. The heli spins left or right, depending on what control you gave it, until you release the t/r input. Preferably during this the heli stays on one place, but it's much easier said than done... and it scares the mess out of the first few times you try it! :mrgreen:
T-Rex 600N Pro, miniTitan E360
bronicabill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good job jaminjer! I agree with others that a stationary flip is probably a good maneuver to try (I preferred backwards flips when starting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
Personally, I think the easiest "stunt" is a stationary flip (either left or right). Just push up on the collective 100% and pull the cyclic...
I think most of us know what you mean, but a newcomer might take this literally...you don't want to give 100% collective during flips. You should barely go above hover collective. Performing truly stationary flips relies on this.

If your flip rate is slower (ie slower headspeed), you might want to give a bump slight to collective to prevent from losing altitude, but you don't want to go anywhere close to 100%...unless things go bad then do anything possible to save it of course.
ptarp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

congrats, I learned the piro about a month ago, and crashed a couple of times while learning, now I have the heli balanced and it is easier. I am now practicing nose in hover and trying to flip the bird to tail in and also flip it to nose in and its harder than it seems, I figured if I learned the piro first it would be easier. Wrong again.
robl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, so numerous spins. I can do 180 or 360 no probs. I had to turn my piro rate up, it was way to slow. Now once it starts spinning do you rely on the heli to stay in a stable hover or do you have to get it balance as its spinning?
Align 325 Woods
Hyperion Duo Charger
Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Congrats on your new skill level. Today looked Sooo much better than a couple weeks ago. Way to go.
When you get side flip to inverted, I won't be able to talk to you. lol
NeoPantera is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Great!

I was doing piros happily but have not been able to fly for over a month. Just maidened my new SE today but was to scared to do more than hover as it was a bit windy. I'll work back up to it as I get comfortable again. Like most, I can do lots of things pretty easily on the sim, but getting up the courage in real life is something else
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
<<snip>> Like most, I can do lots of things pretty easily on the sim, but getting up the courage in real life is something else
And why is that? I can hover nose-in all day long on the sim, but I have yet to do it in person. The moment the heli gets close to stopping while looking at me, I freak out and spin it around the other way. Now I can fly towards myself, even very slowly... as long as I don't let it stop. Yet on the sim, no problem!

At least I don't seem to be alone in this phenomenon!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dont be scared. The fact that it is supposed to be really hard is overrated in my opinion. I was so scared to do nose in also. Anything besides tail in hover really. But its all pretty easy. Just go for it.
Align 325 Woods
Hyperion Duo Charger
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yes, more head speed = more stability! (Thank you finless for pounding that into my head!
Your welcome!

Gets me all the time when I meet people with a new Trex that came from a blade CP or other really low head speed heli... They just FREAK when they hear the head speed and thus are reluctant to go higher than what they are use to

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill
And why is that? I can hover nose-in all day long on the sim, but I have yet to do it in person. The moment the heli gets close to stopping while looking at me, I freak out and spin it around the other way. Now I can fly towards myself, even very slowly... as long as I don't let it stop. Yet on the sim, no problem!

At least I don't seem to be alone in this phenomenon!
I have the EXACT same problem. Orientation on the sim is literally a no brainer, but get the real bird in the same situation and my thumbs go "huh?".

I think it's just a mental hurdle we all need to get over - I just haven't sacked up enough yet to do it.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say learn to nose in hover and fly circles and figure eights before moving on. That way you learn to recover in case of an oops.

I can nose in all day and do a few ugly stall turns, but have yet to loop the darn thing (I just can't afford to crash I keep telling myseld).
TRex888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex888
I would say learn to nose in hover and fly circles and figure eights before moving on. That way you learn to recover in case of an oops.

I can nose in all day and do a few ugly stall turns, but have yet to loop the darn thing (I just can't afford to crash I keep telling myseld).
The funny thing is that I can fly slow circles and figure 8's (so that the heli flies towards me through the middle) all day long, and I can loop, roll and stall turn just fine, plus immelmanns and split S's. I can also hover with the heli in any orientation up to 45 degrees off from nose-in... it's that last little bit with the heli looking straight at me that freaks out my brain. Hey, that means I really AM a "HeliFreak"!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

I was very relutant to try high head speed aLso. Now my mids are at 85% . Love It!
bluemooone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in