Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDE Direct 150T main gear

Anyone tried the new CNC cut 150T Mod 0.5 main gear by KDE direct?

If so, is the gear mesh perfect all the way around the gear?
Runout (if any)?
gbidwell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its made by revco and its called the perfect circle. Look for articles/reviews on that. But to answer your question, it is perfectly round!
Andrew_ZA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Better be for 15 bucks..
Montfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is still plague with one flaw, it still has to use the poor self tapping bolt method. And only uses 4 mounting bolts. http://www.readyheli.com/HO-0500S-15...0_p_33776.html
This never quite properly seats the gear in perfect center.

If you are going this route you might as well step up to the plate like I did and go with the vastly better designed Microheli gear set. The bolts holes are perfectly cnc milled and the gear seats tightly into the hub. It spins absolutely true on a similarly machined cnc cut hub.

And again, if you are going this route you better step up to ceramic or at least abec 5 main bearings. The two bearing Align mainshaft design allows the main shaft and gear set to wobble in the cradle. There are instances of the gear moving back and forth due to bearing slop alone as much as a couple of millimeters. NO gear set can make up for this. Just as soon as you spin the motor up the pinion pressure against the teeth of the gear will push it to the far side of the cradle. If you have enough power say goodbye to the gear. I did and do and have spun through more than one.
But the results are well worth it! Even running extreme 6s headspeeds with my 360 blades I got through countless hundreds of flights with my last MH gear, and it ran so quietly I could only hear the blades in the air. No gear noise, no vibes. I just lost the gear two days ago when my tail rod snapped due to the ultra low temps I was flying in. I actually came down in a small bush inches away from a concrete bird bath. No TH, I was still trying to save it. So I stripped the gear bald.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_ZA View Post
Its made by revco and its called the perfect circle. Look for articles/reviews on that. But to answer your question, it is perfectly round!
Actually its designed by KDE Direct and made by revco.
Its not the perfect circle, but a new design.

http://www.kdedirect.com/TREX450MDGM05.html

Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
It is still plague with one flaw, it still has to use the poor self tapping bolt method. And only uses 4 mounting bolts. http://www.readyheli.com/HO-0500S-15...0_p_33776.html
This never quite properly seats the gear in perfect center.

If you are going this route you might as well step up to the plate like I did and go with the vastly better designed Microheli gear set. The bolts holes are perfectly cnc milled and the gear seats tightly into the hub. It spins absolutely true on a similarly machined cnc cut hub.

And again, if you are going this route you better step up to ceramic or at least abec 5 main bearings. The two bearing Align mainshaft design allows the main shaft and gear set to wobble in the cradle. There are instances of the gear moving back and forth due to bearing slop alone as much as a couple of millimeters. NO gear set can make up for this. Just as soon as you spin the motor up the pinion pressure against the teeth of the gear will push it to the far side of the cradle. If you have enough power say goodbye to the gear. I did and do and have spun through more than one.
But the results are well worth it! Even running extreme 6s headspeeds with my 360 blades I got through countless hundreds of flights with my last MH gear, and it ran so quietly I could only hear the blades in the air. No gear noise, no vibes. I just lost the gear two days ago when my tail rod snapped due to the ultra low temps I was flying in. I actually came down in a small bush inches away from a concrete bird bath. No TH, I was still trying to save it. So I stripped the gear bald.

Some good tips

Have you got some links to the parts your referring to:

maingear
CNC hub
ABEC-5 mainshaft bearings (I'm thinking Boca)
Old 12-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbidwell View Post
Some good tips

Have you got some links to the parts your referring to:

maingear
CNC hub
ABEC-5 mainshaft bearings (I'm thinking Boca)
Thanks! Most if not all those parts can be found at places like HeliDirect. I just ordered over $300 in new replacement parts there just an hour ago. I use the G5 Boca ceramics listed there since they are the same 5x11x5 as the Trex.
I had them in my cart since the last 10% off sale.
I am using those on the mains
http://helidirect.com/rg50333-2-outr...crm-p-7542.hdx
The MH main gear (again it also fits the G5 Outrage) and hub. Although I use the heavier hub, they don't bend as badly in crashes.
http://helidirect.com/microheli-prec...xg5-p-4321.hdx
And this lower gear assembly. I use the 106 but you can use the 109 if your tail is weak. http://helidirect.com/microheli-prec...rex-p-2231.hdx
I am also using this tail drive as the Align version wobbles terribly along with the rest of the TT assembly

http://helidirect.com/microheli-fron...lse-p-1180.hdx
And it is seated in ceramics also.
Before all of this my vibes were up in the catastrophic 30 range with my Skookum 720 vibe log. It flew but vibrated like a hand massage unit. Horrible vibes that shut down part of the Sk720s function happen at 10. I also upgraded my one way, and use the Kde aluminum body plate to help stabilize the body.
All this to try and keep the main gear set and main shaft stable! And reduce vibes which are an indicator of poor or sloppy mechanics. I also ended up after several versions of tail assemblies going with this G5 tail system. They are really getting hard to find and lots of guys are changing out into them. Perfect slop free action. Even the grips are amazing.

http://helidirect.com/rg50499-outrag...tem-p-7390.hdx

Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I not sure if the main gears are really worth it for the price...after all, I'm not really having any vibe issues that are affecting my GY520 tail gyro (flybarred with MKS DS95 and DS95i setup).

However, the G5 tail looks sweet!!! Man, I really want to get that one both of my 450 Pros. Was looking to put in an order with helidirect for the BL9088 servo and the G5 tail setups, but they are out of stock
Old 12-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I have been backordered with them on the G5 for months. There is a large movement of guys picking them up all over the place to replace their Align tails. So it is getting really hard to find them. Especially at that price.
I run those same servos and they are amazing. Have had them on both my 6s mods forever. Had'em before anyone knew what they were.
When I was just running flybarred systems with my Gy611 gyro I just flew and tried to keep things smooth as possible. But when I went to 6s and my SK720 I started blowing through gear sets just doing mild throttle pumps. Had to do something. And with the vibe log I started really seeing what was going on inside the heli. Oddly my custom cut cf bodied, not a factory part on it, 3 bearing main B400 based heli was only turning out vibes of .5 compared to my vibrating supposedly superior Trex. Again, I had to do something! Lol.
Another option I am looking into is the raised tail assembly that Helihaven is custom making since I am working with stretch helis anyways. Edit: Looks like he made the decision for me! This is coming in the mail.

Last edited by Luvmyhelis; 12-22-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in