Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Android tab for BUMP Controller

I know this has been discussed a bit, but I wanted to get some consolidated input for my benefit presently and future benefit of others.

I'd like to drive my BUMP Controller via the Android interface. I don't own a single Android device and have virtually no experience with them.

What is the best Android OS device to use for this purpose? It will likely only ever be used as a charge case component, so any features that don't relate directly to that are low value. Requirements: tablet sized (not a phone/phablet), compatibility with all BUMP app features, wifi. Nice to haves: matte or low-glare screen.

All input appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this was suggested as something that would work: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland...&skuId=4306900

Conversation on this topic can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...518304&page=31

Fauropitotto is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just went to office max and bought a cheap tablet for like 65 bucks. Mine is like what you are doing and just in the charge case. So I bought cheap
Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im planning on picking up one of the amazon fire 7 tablets the next time they drop the price to 39.99. I got one for my wife at Christmas time and it seems to be a nice little tablet. however there is a hack that you have to do to get the play store app installed, I think you can also pull the apk files down to your pc and sideload them that way if not putting the full play store on the device. If I wasn't looking to update my kindle however, I would probably go with the tablet from best buy.

Device specs for the fire are here- 3d column over heading Fire(2015)
https://developer.amazon.com/appsand...specifications
--citizen 19-- ama#986265, W8RMB, T-Rex 700n 700e, 600n, 550X, 550e, 500 efl pro, 450 pro.. a couple of planks and a couple of quads...I am not a rep for anyone
cyclenut is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a good review for an inexpensive tablet vs Amazon 7

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/12/06/94715/
gww528 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The only thing that pins me to the fire tablet is books from the Amazon lending library can only be read on a kindle, not with the kindle app
--citizen 19-- ama#986265, W8RMB, T-Rex 700n 700e, 600n, 550X, 550e, 500 efl pro, 450 pro.. a couple of planks and a couple of quads...I am not a rep for anyone
Old 03-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemp View Post
I know this has been discussed a bit, but I wanted to get some consolidated input for my benefit presently and future benefit of others.

I'd like to drive my BUMP Controller via the Android interface. I don't own a single Android device and have virtually no experience with them.

What is the best Android OS device to use for this purpose? It will likely only ever be used as a charge case component, so any features that don't relate directly to that are low value. Requirements: tablet sized (not a phone/phablet), compatibility with all BUMP app features, wifi. Nice to haves: matte or low-glare screen.

All input appreciated.
One of the most important things you need for use the BUMP is Bluetooth LE support. If it has Bluetooth 4.x and Android 4.3 or later it most likely has Bluetooth LE support, but it's not guaranteed. I've seen many just list Bluetooth 4.x support. Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE are completely different animals.

There is a Bluetooth LE checker app in the Google Play store if you can test the device prior to purchasing.

I think I'm going to stick with something that's been tested and known to work with the BUMP rather taking a gamble on something that no one else has tested yet.
Ace Dude is online now        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
I think I'm going to stick with something that's been tested and known to work with the BUMP rather taking a gamble on something that no one else has tested yet.
Ya, that's what I was hoping this thread would be. A consolidated list of devices that are known to work. So far no one has named any. If I have time I'll try to pull them out of the other thread, but then it's second-hand info.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

so now it sounds like I have a good reason to hack my wife's fire 7. I will report back as soon as I can get it done- although the page that I linked to above with developer specs for the fire shows that all the 2015 devices come with bluetooth le support and the fire os is base off of android 5.1
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDon View Post
Mine is like what you are doing and just in the charge case. So I bought cheap
It's fine if the device is priced attractively, but for me if I'm spending $ on a bump controller, multiple PL8s, power supplies to drive them ... going cheap on the interface doesn't make sense if it degrades the overall experience. If a good interface can be had for cheap that's totally fine. But I'd be willing to spend more for a better experience. For instance if there's a compatible higher end device with a low-glare screen that would be worth it.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It's fine if the device is priced attractively, but for me if I'm spending $ on a bump controller, multiple PL8s, power supplies to drive them ... going cheap on the interface doesn't make sense if it degrades the overall experience. If a good interface can be had for cheap that's totally fine. But I'd be willing to spend more for a better experience. For instance if there's a compatible higher end device with a low-glare screen that would be worth it.
well put! now we just need the app, I have been dying to get a look at it. I even brought my android phone from my field kit with me to work today so I could pull it down, but so far still waiting. I wasn't this excited when I was waiting for pac man to come out on the atari when I was a kid
Old 03-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm also the type of person to invest in good quality products, but I'm seriously considering going cheap this time since I'll only be using it for the BUMP. If I drop it I won't cry. I also think Windows tablets may be gaining popularity rather quickly and I'd rather invest in a better Windows tablet since I could use for all my other RC stuff at the field (e.g., FBL setup etc.) and there will eventually be a Windows version that supports BUMP. Anyway, that's my thought at the moment and it's subject to change instantly. My better half has a Nexus 7 (first version) and I've been meaning to get her a larger table so I might just get her a larger new tablet and repurpose her old one.

You may find these links helpful.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483566,00.asp

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tablets/b...droid-tablets/

http://www.androidauthority.com/best...ablets-267136/
Old 03-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the links

It's looking like I might spring for a Galaxy Tab S2 8". Primarily because the Super AMOLED screen should be very good for outdoor use and it meets the BLE requirement. It's certainly overkill for the application, but I'll make it easy to remove and use for other purposes.

Now the hardest part ... choosing a color.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the links

It's looking like I might spring for a Galaxy Tab S2 8". Primarily because the Super AMOLED screen should be very good for outdoor use and it meets the BLE requirement. It's certainly overkill for the application, but I'll make it easy to remove and use for other purposes.

Now the hardest part ... choosing a color.
That looks sweet. I'm sure the much higher resolution compared to the 7" models will come in real handy. The fact that it doesn't have IR doesn't affect me at all. I never use IR.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should I be able to pair a Windows10 tablet to the Bump now or have to wait for the app? Would like to test the iRULU tablet for compatibility.

Last edited by pctomlin; 03-06-2016 at 10:35 AM..
pctomlin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just thought I would let you guys know but my tablet works well. Mine is all up and running and it sure makes things nice to operate. I like it.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update on the iRULU tablet. Looking under device manager it lists BTLE so it may be a go when the full Windows app is released. The tablet recognized the Bump in BT but failed to pair.
pctomlin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So, just did the hack on my wife's kindle fire 7 to install the google play store, and pulled down the bump app and it works fine, although my testing consisted only of connecting to the bump and then disconnecting and repeatedly scanning as I moved around to check the rssi number. It seems to have similar range to my lg ls620 cell phone.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just FYI........

I thought I remembered reading when the BUMP was first announced that it would NOT work with a Nexus7 tablet?

Well, I just installed it on my Nexus7 (2013 model), and it seems to work just fine!

Also running fine on my Samsung Note4 phone.

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Amazon Fire works great. Just used it tonight.
You don't really need to hack your fire. Just install google play store using a file downloader. Couldn't be simpler.
Heli_Jelly is offline        Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in