Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum DX7 Gen2, 8, 9 18, ???

So I am thinking about upgrading from a JR9303 to a new Spektrum radios of some form or fashion. I suppose I was looking pretty hard at the DX9 when all of a sudden the Gen2 units came out and now the DX18 Gen1 is roughly the same price as a DX9. I am having troubles fully understanding what the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 are. If I were to pick up a DX9 today will the DX9 Gen2 come out next week? At 499.00 is the DX18 a better option?
In short can you kinda point me in the right direction or help me find the best place to research the different radios. As I am sure you can tell the fact that I own a 9303 does date me to some degree. I am getting back into the hobby after several years off and have found things are just a little different that they were several years ago.
Thanks.
kirkland238 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DX9 is what is considered a G2 radio.
DX18G1 and QQ are in a class by themselves. They basically run the same DX18basecode as the G2 series(DX6,7,9,18,18t)
but they lack the hardware for Voice and Wireless Link Trainer(WLT).

If your not concerned with Voice capability or the WLT the 18G1 is a bargain right now.
It wouldnt surprise me to see new radios come out.The G2 series or even the G1 18 wont by any means be obsolete in the near future.
You just kind of have to decide which features are important for you.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK so if I understand correctly...The DX9 is a newer version of the Specktrum radios and would be a good choice. I am interested in the wireless link as I do have an up and coming young potential RC enthusiast. I don't think the DX18 Gen2 is in the budget. I have not been involved in the hobby for a long time so any other obvious suggestions would be great. Lastly keep in mind I primary fly helicopters however with the new interest in RC I don't want to rule out planes. With Specktrum I understand there are many ready to fly planes, quads and helis that will bind to the Specktrum radio versus using the cheep provided radio?
On another note..I have heard of and experienced issues with some of the Specktrum products in the past (several years ago). Is it safe to assume the Specktrum products are solid and have worked out there issues or have others entered into the market I should pursue?
Thanks for your time!
Old 12-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost all,of those spektrum related stories you've heard are wildly inaccurate portrayals. Spektrum is just as good and even better in terms of reliability these days. All of my models 10+ have been flown on spektrum for years and ive never experienced a failure. The new gen2 dx7 is the nicest radio ive ever felt. And ive been shopping for years for a replacement. Im so incredibly happy with my purchase that i take time out of my day to,write things like this. Do not worry about flying spektrum...They are great!
redsox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are plenty of stories of problems with all brands of radios.If you look around on forums your likely to find alot more related to Spektrum.
Since they have probably at least 75-80% of the market share this stands to reason.Doesnt necessarily mean proportionally they have more incidents. Also the experience level of users is generally towards the newer crowd and many of the problems I have seen trace back to lack of understanding of the proper use of not only the radios but the support components as well. Any real inherent problems Ive seen are fairly quickly identified and remedied by the Service dept. Of all the brands on the market its not too hard to see reports about the stellar
performance in regards to Service.

The DX9 is a Gen2 radio and a very good choice IMO. I have one.It has several advantages over a DX6 or 7. One is the diversity antenna system that provides a better link in demanding conditions and/or setups. IMO the 9 also has a much better charging setup with the internal charger. A few other things as well.IMO it is a very good choice.

There are a huge variety of DSM based BNF models. They all benefit from using a Tx advanced above the base level DX4 or other basic Tx that is provided with some of them.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the DX20
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't want to hijack your thread but I figured I would ask here rather than start a new thread as my question is similar. Up until this morning I was tossing up between the gen1 dx18 or the dx9 but I was pretty set on the dx9 considering I doubt I'd ever need as much radio as the dx18 and I do like the voice prompts of the dx9 and that kind of swayed me but then tragedy struck- I received an email from horizon that the gen2 Dx8 is on preorder and this has thrown a spanner in the works for me now any opinions or advise on this would be helpful
Thanks
Fizzy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 03:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
I don't want to hijack your thread but I figured I would ask here rather than start a new thread as my question is similar. Up until this morning I was tossing up between the gen1 dx18 or the dx9 but I was pretty set on the dx9 considering I doubt I'd ever need as much radio as the dx18 and I do like the voice prompts of the dx9 and that kind of swayed me but then tragedy struck- I received an email from horizon that the gen2 Dx8 is on preorder and this has thrown a spanner in the works for me now any opinions or advise on this would be helpful
Thanks
DX8G2 is due late May 2016... in Spektrum times this could mean September... or XMas. Get the DX9.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I decided to just go for the DX9 and have been very happy so far. I will say at first I wasn't sure about a radio that talks to you, however, this is perhaps the best feature. Coming from a JR-9393 the DX9 programs super easy and I have had no problems to date. I think Coco66 nailed it...Get the DX9.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I'm pretty set on the dx9 too, I should have mine early next week
Fizzy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in