Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RPM drop

I'm using RealFlight 7.5 with Transmitter interface and the DX6 V2 (black.)

At seemingly random times, the RPMs on any of the electric models I'm using, the RPMs will suddenly drop significantly. After a second or two, the RPMs will go back up. I'm using the same settings I've always used on my Tx and the stock models from the simulator.

Is this a glitch? I'm using Windows 8.1.
ChopperFreak is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get consistent RPM with RealFlight, Phoenix, and neXt. The only simulators I've tried that cannot seem to hold RPM are AeroFly 5 and RC7.

I am interested in learning why you are having this RPM issue with RealFlight.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't help on this sorry. I use a DX8 wirelessly for the sim.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
i am interested in learning why you are having this RPM issue with RealFlight.
Do you know any troubleshooting steps I can take? I just use the default heli model in my Spektrum. I've tried to set up a model so that the controls work correctly, but I've never gotten any real answer when I post. If I use my Blade 230s model, the heli flies up at max throttle/pitch and won't come down (when I flip on Agility/3D mode.)
Old 01-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check your cable and plug where it goes to the Tx. Sometimes when the cable wiggles and loses contact it glitches a bit and activates Hold. Happens rarely on my DX7 and it is always that the plug is loose or has popped out a bit.
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try that. I've tried to keep the cable from being damaged, but there's NO WAY to set the transmitter down and keep it stable while that cable is plugged perpendicular in the bottom!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Training class for my new job has really interrupted my sim practice, but I managed to sneak some time in today. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the cable. I noticed that the RPMs dropped when I did a sudden cyclic change (aileron.) It didn't happen today as often as it's done in the past, but I'm sure that's only because I'm trying to troubleshoot.

I'm using the KDE 700 model.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yes, and random control inputs.

I came to this forum looking for an answer to exactly this problem. I was having odd problems with losing rotor rpm as well. I have also experienced random control inputs. I was hovering close to the ground (maybe a blade diameter or so) and out of nowhere I just crashed into the ground and exploded. Showing the radio gadget confirmed that somehow the sim was receiving/interpreting/generating random, glitchy stick inputs...like movements that are too fast to be physically possible.

Had to quite the session because I couldn't make any progress with my skills. Very frustrating.

(P.S. another post of mine has been in moderator limbo for a day or so...so I have no idea when this one will have gotten through)
bredler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredler View Post
I came to this forum looking for an answer to exactly this problem. I was having odd problems with losing rotor rpm as well. I have also experienced random control inputs. I was hovering close to the ground (maybe a blade diameter or so) and out of nowhere I just crashed into the ground and exploded. Showing the radio gadget confirmed that somehow the sim was receiving/interpreting/generating random, glitchy stick inputs...like movements that are too fast to be physically possible.

Had to quite the session because I couldn't make any progress with my skills. Very frustrating.

(P.S. another post of mine has been in moderator limbo for a day or so...so I have no idea when this one will have gotten through)
Random inputs and glitching sounds a lot like a connection issue. I have always had this issue when the plug was loose from the Tx and reseating it always fixed it for me. A good test to do is to start wiggling the cable and see if it starts glitching.
Other than that, you should do the usual troubleshooting steps like trying another usb port or restarting RF and if issue persists, try contacting Realflight Tech Support.
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've tried all of those. If it's the wire, then the wire is wearing out.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I had an RPM drop that didn't recover. I attempted to adjust the cable to no avail. Previously I had made adjustments to the cable but the RPMs would only drop for a second or two and I could never quite be sure it recovered on its own or if my adjustment had affected it.

Today, my adjustment to the cable had no affect at all. The RPMs didn't come back up and the heli crashed.

The problem seems to be getting worse.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I contacted RealFlight support about the problem. This is the essence of the reply:

"...the problem you are seeing is not typical of a damaged or faulty cable. If/When RealFlight loses connection with an R/C radio mid-flight, the RPMs would not normally drop. Rather, the RPMs would remain consistent with the last throttle stick input."

I believe this information is incorrect. Upon removing my cable from the Tx during mid-flight, two things happen:

1) The Tx shuts off
2) The Throttle Hold is activated on the heli

So it would appear that RealFlight is unable to help me. Oh, and In addition to the above, this was also stated:

"We have not received any other reports of a random RPM drop like you are describing (with any version of RealFlight)."

Perhaps bredler should also send an email to them.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bad Connection

Figured it out. As was recommended, it was definitely a bad connection problem. When I jiggled the cord, the problem was replicated. When I was careful not to lean the plug on anything I didn't experience the problem.

This leads me to two conclusions:
  1. I'm glad I never used the trainer port...real models are much more expensive than virtual ones.
  2. I will likely invest in one of the wireless dongle options for the future.
bredler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the wireless dongle option? Can someone give me specific information for a Spektrum DX6 G2 (black?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in