Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > R/C Helicopter Tools and Supplies

R/C Helicopter Tools and Supplies Tools and Products used with R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tool recommendations

I plan on purchasing my first heli kit sometime in the spring. In the meantime I'll start acquiring neccessary tools and supplies.

So, I got a few questions,

1. Who are the big names to look for in r/c heli tools?

2. Any recommendations for kits that include the most commonly
needed tools? Like allen wrenches and hex drivers and ball link
Pliers. Or is it better to piece together your own tool kit?

3. Recommendations for a decent soldering iron, preferably under
$ 120.

I plan on getting an align 450 super combo, not sure what specific model yet. If I understand correctly, a super combo includes all the servos, esc,
FBL controller, most all the electronics other than the reciever. Is that correct? Any other misc. parts I need to acquire to complete the build?

4. Do the kits include loctite and CA glue? What specifically is CA glue used for?

5. What all requires soldering on a r/c heli build?
Never soldered before. Would like to purchase the soldering iron first and practice before putting it to a brand new heli component.

That's all I can think of now. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Racoon.
Racoon293 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

MIP hex drivers are great. They seem expensive at first, but after using them they're well worth it. The smaller the driver size, the more important higher quality becomes. Lower quality tools strip screw heads and don't fit tightly or wear out quickly.

Two soldering stations I'd recommend are Weller WESD-51 and Hakko FX-888D. The Hakko is slightly more powerful (more heat), but its controls are more confusing to operate. Both models are nice, and they offer a wide range of interchangeable tip sizes and shapes for different tasks. Both models have temp regulation and display.

If you purchase loctite, get Loctite 243 and 263, rather than the older 242 and 262. The newer versions tolerate the presence of machining oil on screws and in threads better.
LizardMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love the Hakko FX-601 iron. It has much the same features of a soldering iron station but it is all in one handle. This means you can wrap the cord up and easily take the iron with you in your tool kit to the field . Hakko makes some of the best irons you can buy. Buy once and be done.
Steve_JR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend the trakpower solder station it's preatty good and hold temps good. There a newer version coming out which is digital. You can check it out at towerhobbies
StarMaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to go against the grain here. If you are looking to solder EC3 connectors or deans or whatever all you need is a 20.00 pencil. It will work better than a station. The stations are fantastic for fine work on servos pcbs small wires but for big connectors.. I wouldn't want to use it. For EC5 and larger I use a 120w American beauty takes 2 seconds not five minutes to heat the bullets.

Mini Prôtos 6S Stretch - DS95/DS95i, Mini V-Bar, YGE60 VBAR Ready
CrashAddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Does anyone know of a link that describes the various types of connectors
and their applications?
Racoon293 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is one on progressive rc's web site. It has a bunch but all of the newest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Loctite is used when you are putting a screw into any metal part. CA is used when you are using a self tapping screw into a plastic part. You will also need synthetic grease of just about any kind. I use the automotive type. Tri-Flow is also a commonly used liquid grease. It is very good as well. Just make sure you use synthetics.

If you are not dead set on soldering, may I suggest Anderson Power Poles. I've been using them for years and love them. They are crimped, so no soldering skills or equipment needed. The crimper they sell isn't necessary but I would highly recommend it. It's $40 but worth it's weight in gold.

Here's a little tutorial I put together:
http://tfaotc.wordpress.com/2014/05/...n-power-poles/
Ron_R is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pics would be great, if available
NexusLover is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

good pair of needle nose pliers, ball link pliers,ball link sizing tool, small cresent wrench 4", nice punch set, good set of hex drvers, bernzomatic micro torch, nice smaller flat and phillips drivers. small articulating bench vise, nice 6" steel metric machinists rule, long tapered pointed awl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in