Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn, I am really sorry to hear that. Any info you have regarding what you think happened is greatly appreciated. Was this during charging? Were you balance charging it? What brand battery and charger?

Sorry for the questions in this tough time, thoughts and prayers to your family.
cannondale1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear about the fire. I had a house fire myself a few weeks ago and lost everything. So I do know how you feel.
It possibly will take some time with insurance to get through everything. I got the car insurance settlement after 4 weeks and still am waiting for payments from my home owners insurance.
Nevertheless - good to hear you all made it out save. Stuff can be replaced.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

im4711,

Unbelievable, was yours from a lipo fire as well? Sorry as well to hear about that. A fire is one of the worst things I could imagine happening.
cannondale1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very sorry for your losses but thankful you and the family are ok.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good luck getting back together. I am very sorry about your misfortunes. I have left work before because I couldn't remember if I unplugged my batteries.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
im4711,

Unbelievable, was yours from a lipo fire as well? Sorry as well to hear about that. A fire is one of the worst things I could imagine happening.
No mine was not lipo related. The Lipos where not even near the place where the fire started. Nevertheless it was electrical and even some of the house structure was saved all stuff is gone. It is an experience you never think that could happen to you. After that I can only recommend to have a smoke and possibly heat detector directly in the garage. our lives have been saved by the alarm system (it happened in the middle of the night).

Anyhow I know his feelings and the really tough situation he and his family is going through. First week it is about getting everything organized. After that some frustration about insurance companies will kick in. I do have good coverage - still it takes a long way before the first payment from an insurance comes in. Also if you think some of the stuff might have survived because it is not all burned down you soon learn that the smoke and heat damage is way more than what you can see at the beginning.
So far I cannot complain since in my case we also made it all out with no harm and we found a vacation rental to stay. Issue still is that without my good savings I would not have made it that far. That is when the frustration of the insurance comes in (took 4 full weeks and 5 investigators to check out the place).
So be patient since that stuff will take more time then you think it would.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn, I'm sorry for your loss. I have heard/read of Lipo fires but didn't think it was true. Thanks for sharing your story..
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for your troubles and the ferret, glad the rest of you are okay.

Thanks for sharing as a reminder to us all.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just be thankful your family is alright. I know how it feels. It's coming up on two years since a house fire took everything I had. It's tough recovering. You don't realize how much you have until it's gone. I thought I'd never get back to normal but things do. Hang in there.
Roundwords is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glad your family is alright.
FlyAndFix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I expected another humorous post.. VERY SORRY my friend for your loss.. very happy your family is OK.. like somebody else posted, maybe insurance will cover the house. Be careful what you tell the insurance agent because if they can find a way to wiggle out of paying, they will
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am very, very sorry about your loss.

I am glad that your family is safe.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best wishes to get your life back together ASAP. I will never leave my Lipo's charging unattended again. I owe you buddy, thanks for sharing. So sorry.
Pard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, but very happy that you and your family were able to make it out of the house safely.

As is common in my industry (rocket propulsion), I will be using this as a trigger for holding a home safety stand-down this weekend. My wife and I will be spending a few hours tomorrow reviewing areas of the home from a safety standpoint and making sure that we've got the right things in place (i.e. fire extiguishers, working fire and CO detectors, etc) and that we've identified any safety issues that need to be resolved.

I know it may sound a bit funny, but it only takes a few minutes for all of us to make sure we're prepared for something like this...when I first heard about this last night, I was charging my lipos right next to me, so it definitely hits close to home.

If we can get some sort of a donation system setup on HF or PayPal or something, as the other Freaks were discussing, then I would be more than willing to help out. I'll pitch in for cloths, toys, helis...whatever you need to get back on you feet, drdispatch.

You and yours will be in our thoughts...

Another idea fellow Freaks:
We could buy Target, Walmart, or similar gift cards and send them to drdispatch. Even if it's only $5-10, every little bit helps and if more than one of us sends them, he can start getting the "little" things back in order...

-->Justin
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Words can't describe how great all of this makes us feel. My wife cried about it even.

IF I would've been out, perhaps wrenching on a heli, while the pack was charging..all of this could've been avoided.

I've charged semi un-attended for YEARS.

When the fire alarms went off the corner of the garage where I was charging was up in flames. I took a FAST jog to and from the fire extinguisher. By this time the smell of the lithium was heavy in the air..and the entire garage was burning. It took less than 2 minutes from battery going to full fledged 2 car garage fire.

THEN the rest of my lipos started to go..by this time we were outside..but you could hear the packs exploding. 6s 4900 mah packs make quite the pop.

All of this from a little 3s 2200.

The charger was a Turnigy Accucel-8. I'm not sure I can blame the charger. The temp sensor was not on the pack

I had previously charged a zippy 6s 2200 mah (charges up to 5c, which I won't do) at 2c. The pack that started the fire was a 3s 2200 not rated for 1C. 2-3 year old pack, not a knock off or zippy.

I checked on the pack once, 1400 mah in, no puffing.

10-15 minutes later was the fire

So I don't know if I charged at too high a rate, the cut-off in the carger failed and kept pumping mah in until it went..or what.

I would LOVE to know what happened though..
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry for your loss and I am glad that all made it out safe.
lowbuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #37 (permalink)

OMG wow that is horrible. Try not to say too much about how it started online though I.E. don't potentially give your insurance company ammo to build a case against you. I don't really know anything about it, just saying be careful. Talk to a lawyer too.
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #38 (permalink)
DVS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry
Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #39 (permalink)

start a pay pal account i wanna try to help your kids maybe get some clothes or toys
Daman691003 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #40 (permalink)
DVS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman691003 View Post
start a pay pal account i wanna try to help your kids maybe get some clothes or toys
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=194996

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in