Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Does anybody want to guess what's wrong?

I built a new Velocity 50 N2 with OS 55 a few months ago. I've flown about 2 gallons through it breaking it in and getting it tuned. I haven't flown it in about a month since I was waiting for a new Revglo and Arizona Regulator to replace the Align 2 in 1 unit. I got the new components installed yesterday and went to try it out today. It cranked over for a few seconds and then the head caugt and twisted out of my grip. For some reason the clutch is locked up tight turning the correct direction but I can easilly turn the clutch bell by itself if I go backwards. Any idea's what I'm going to find when I open it up?
supertoyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The crankshaft nut is loose.
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

We can guess for days but in a situation like this you will have to disassemble the
heli and find what went wrong. Often times when one part fails or comes loose it
takes others with it.
Kneedragger75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say the clutch has come loose from the main crank shaft.Turn it one way and it loosens out and binds..Good luck let us know what you find..
Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

EDIT... I re read post.. Wrong solution suggestion.. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well it's apart, still not sure what's wrong, looks like possibly a bearing failure. I took the engine out and everything was tight and looked good. The clutch bell was still installed and when I turned the starter shaft the clutch would turn which then would turn the head. I dropped the clutch bell and the starter shaft was locked inside the bell. The shaft runs through bearings in the upper bearing block and clutch bell into a one way bearing inside the clutch shoe. It should turn freely everywhere except the clutch shoe. I got it out with a few taps on a center punch, the bearings turn freely and the shaft looks ok. I reinstalled the shaft back through the bell and bearing block, there was some resistance but it went in ok. It now turns but does have some drag. I'm not sure what happened or why so I ordered all new parts, hopefully that solves the problem
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oneway locked on the starter shaft, S#%t happens
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No that wasn't it....one way and starter shaft are fine. It's the regular bearings the shaft passes through on it's way to the one way bearing. For some reason it was seized tight inside one of the four bearings it passed through. I pressed it out and pushed it back in. It turns but not as smooth as it should. I think it's the bearing inside the clutch bell.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had this happen for me twice on my N2.. What happens is that for some reason the starter shaft get stuck in the clutchbell/pinion.. This happen to my friend as well, and he ripped the maingear trying to start his heli..

Seems best solution is to go for MIkeKimC's mod with Align startershaft and ABEC OWB
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=398937
gfcused is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a common problem on the Velocity, caused by poor production tolerance. The starter shaft gets stuck inside the pinion.

What I did was to attach the shaft to a drill and sand it down a bit. Upgrading to an Align shaft is probably a better solution in the long run, but I didn't have the patience to order new parts.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in