Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pulled the trigger on a 500L

I just ordered the 500L combo less the GPRO and also an AR7300BX. I'll wait on the batteries until I know for sure what fits. Looking forward to it. It's been a while since I've flown anything bigger than a micro, ever since I sold my Swift. But I've been missing having a larger heli and since I bought the Swift many years ago was kind of out of touch with the heli world. Hope I made the right choice, I'm not a 3D kind of guy, FF and basic aerobatics. We'll see.

Mike
Mike7513 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yay, my kit arrived yesterday! Any gotchas I need to be aware of? I'm assuming I need to disassemble the pre-assembled parts to check for correct fit and lock tight) they even tell you to do this in the manual. Anything else that needs attention? One thing I'm thinking of doing is swapping out the speed control. I ordered a CC Talon 90 for one of my airplanes which is overkill for it but the next size down was too small. I might put that one on here and the stock TREX on the airplane.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I stuck T90's on two of my 500's - not so much for the 90a -
but for that killer 9a bec........
Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, maybe I will do that then. My Sig Fazer that the stock ESC will go on doesn't need much as fas as BEC but if it fails (assuming the BEC doesn't fail along with it) wil not be a big deal. I had my Eagletree Systems Datalogger on the RX battery of my Century Swift once and as I recall the current didn't spike up higher than maybe 3A. I'm not an agressive heli pilot.

Mike
Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The build is coming along. The only issue I've had so far is with the tail rotor. I completely disassembled it (as opposed to simply taking the screws out and replacing them with some lock-tite) and discovered that the thrust bearings were installed incorrectly. The inner and outer races were swapped. I don't know if it matters on the tail, on the main rotor the races are different. Had a little trouble getting a smooth action on it, hard to get lock-tite on the small screws without getting in places that stiffen things up.

I got my CC Talon 90 ESC yesterday which I mentioned on one of the other threads I originally ordered for one of my planes but decided to use on the 500L and use the Align ESC on the plane. I know people are using the T90 on the 500L but it's bigger than the stock one and it'll require some lead extentions since the T90 doesn't have output pigtails. Oh well I'll figure it out.

Mike
Old 07-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7513 View Post
The build is coming along. The only issue I've had so far is with the tail rotor. I completely disassembled it (as opposed to simply taking the screws out and replacing them with some lock-tite) and discovered that the thrust bearings were installed incorrectly. The inner and outer races were swapped. I don't know if it matters on the tail, on the main rotor the races are different. Had a little trouble getting a smooth action on it, hard to get lock-tite on the small screws without getting in places that stiffen things up.

I got my CC Talon 90 ESC yesterday which I mentioned on one of the other threads I originally ordered for one of my planes but decided to use on the 500L and use the Align ESC on the plane. I know people are using the T90 on the 500L but it's bigger than the stock one and it'll require some lead extentions since the T90 doesn't have output pigtails. Oh well I'll figure it out.

Mike
You might be able to mount it under the ESC mounting position then no extensions will be needed and the battery connection can come out the side. I just looked at mine and depending on the size of the Talon there may be room ..
Racer38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pigtails?
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got some time to start dialing it in. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Very stable for it's size. As this is my first FBL I'm taking it slow. I need to go back and read through all the setup info for the AR7300BX and try to make sense of it all. As I'm not a 3D pilot it shouldn't be too involved since I'm not looking for all out performance, just a solid flying heli.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in