Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helical Gears and Pinions for the 550E

I've seen some threads mentioning using helical gears and pinions on their helis. I'm impressed with the herringbone design but unfortunately I don't believe there's one available for the 550. So I was wondering for those who have modified their helis with helical gears and pinion, was it worth the mod, which parts did you choose and the benefits of how it flies now?

I'm currently flying a 550E FBL Mikado V-Bar 5 Pro Full size, 16T pinion with stock motor swinging Edge 553's and 86mm Edge tail blades.

Thanks,

Luis
Luisito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read somewhere that Align's helical gears for the 600e put a massive side load on the motor shaft and wear out the bearings quickly.

Not sure how much truth there is to it.

I'm interested in it as well.

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

All helical gears have that. except the herringbone's from mikado.
Nko15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the helical gear and helical pinion for my Trex 550E swining 553mm Edge and 85mm Align blades and love it. It is much quieter than the regular gears and I like the design much better. I have no issues with the stock bearings yet and I have about 165 flights on them.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades345 View Post
I have the helical gear and helical pinion for my Trex 550E swining 553mm Edge and 85mm Align blades and love it. It is much quieter than the regular gears and I like the design much better. I have no issues with the stock bearings yet and I have about 165 flights on them.
I beleive from a previous thread I read, that you are using the 18T pinion. Just curious since it was recommended to use 16 with 550's. But that's what's recommended so if it's flying great then that's what I was hoping to hear. So what are your thoughts running with 16T?

I haven't run the calculations since I beleive the helical gear is 188. I ordered both pinions and I'm just waiting to get feedback. The 550 is flying awesome. I was just hoping to reduce some vibrations especially on spool up and autos which I beleive may be the gears...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nko15 View Post
All helical gears have that. except the herringbone's from mikado.
The herringbone design cancels out those issues. It would be nice if Align or another vendor provided herringbone gears and pinions...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't want to run a helical gear without some form of pinion support.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
You don't want to run a helical gear without some form of pinion support.
Ping,

Can you show an example of a pinion support?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's normally built into the heli or onto the motor mount examples include the Trex700e, the Compass 6hv, or the logo500/600. http://www.readyheli.com/MIK4134-Cou...g_p_35351.html

Their is none that currently fit the 550.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I beleive from a previous thread I read, that you are using the 18T pinion. Just curious since it was recommended to use 16 with 550's. But that's what's recommended so if it's flying great then that's what I was hoping to hear. So what are your thoughts running with 16T?

I haven't run the calculations since I beleive the helical gear is 188. I ordered both pinions and I'm just waiting to get feedback. The 550 is flying awesome. I was just hoping to reduce some vibrations especially on spool up and autos which I beleive may be the gears...
I only saw the 18T, so that is what I ordered. It is fine for it. I run the stock ESC with a CC PRO BEC and it works great. I run around 83% at a HS of 2450 to 2500 and its great. I love the 553mm blades on it, but am curious to try the 523mm.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mikado counterbearing fits if you use a shorter bearing(6x13x4) and a grinded off pinion. make sure you get the 25mm one.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nko15 View Post
The mikado counterbearing fits if you use a shorter bearing(6x13x4) and a grinded off pinion. make sure you get the 25mm one.
Nko,

From the previous post from Ping and yours, you are saying that it's possible to use the Mikado counterbearing with some slight modification. When you say grinding off the pinion, how much needed grinding and why? I also tried to find the bearing you described but I was only able to find a Boca Bearing (6x13x4.5) not the (6x13x4). Would the 4.5 one work?

Since the Align stock 600M motor has a 6mm shaft I was looking at this counterbrearing from Ready Heli: http://www.readyheli.com/MIK4148-Cou...g_p_35360.html

This counterbearing is the 25mm one for the 6mm shaft. Have you successfully used this counterbearing on the 550?

Luis
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades345 View Post
I only saw the 18T, so that is what I ordered. It is fine for it. I run the stock ESC with a CC PRO BEC and it works great. I run around 83% at a HS of 2450 to 2500 and its great. I love the 553mm blades on it, but am curious to try the 523mm.
Blades345,

Are you using a counterbearing for your motors pinion? If you follow the thread you will notice it's being recommended that you have a pinion support. Do you have a FBL 550 and if so are you using Mikado? I'm currently flying my 550E with the 5.0 Pro Full Size Mikado and it's awesome. If you are, what kind of vibrations are you noticing on your 550? I was hoping that this helical gear and pinion would make my 550 smoother.

Luis
Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Blades345,

Are you using a counterbearing for your motors pinion? If you follow the thread you will notice it's being recommended that you have a pinion support. Do you have a FBL 550 and if so are you using Mikado? I'm currently flying my 550E with the 5.0 Pro Full Size Mikado and it's awesome. If you are, what kind of vibrations are you noticing on your 550? I was hoping that this helical gear and pinion would make my 550 smoother.

Luis
I am flying a FBL 550 on the Blue Mini Vbar and its working fine with no vibrations. I am not using any kind of pinion support for it. I have around 170 flights on the stock motor and bearings and no issues. I am oiling them regularly, so thats probably why. The helical gear is very quiet compared to the other main gear, but I can't tell you if it will knock down vibrations. Its worth it to try though. Its nice that I still have the stock gear and pinions if I need them for whatever reason, but I like the helical gear.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nko,

From the previous post from Ping and yours, you are saying that it's possible to use the Mikado counterbearing with some slight modification. When you say grinding off the pinion, how much needed grinding and why? I also tried to find the bearing you described but I was only able to find a Boca Bearing (6x13x4.5) not the (6x13x4). Would the 4.5 one work?

Since the Align stock 600M motor has a 6mm shaft I was looking at this counterbrearing from Ready Heli: http://www.readyheli.com/MIK4148-Cou...g_p_35360.html

This counterbearing is the 25mm one for the 6mm shaft. Have you successfully used this counterbearing on the 550?

Luis
Pinion needs to be max 1mm higher than the main gear. slide down the pinion(thus drill out or grind)and u have to use 5 or 6mm plate UNDER the bearing block. if you get a 6mm plate instead of a 5, the normal 6x13x5 bearing will also work fine.

i'd forgot to say that you have to add a plate between the CB and the motormound. u can use 3 or 4 pieces of carbon from an old frame.(the 550 frame thats breaks every crash) drill holes in it, and glue them together. or make your own plate with a mill. repeat, it doesnt fit stock.

I'll try to get a picture of it next week.

Doint it on the 600m/x doesnt work, as the shaft doesn come out of the pinion.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nko15,

Thanks for explaining the counter bearing mod. I look forward to your picture when you get a chance.

Blades345,

I just put together the helical main gear so I can later swap it out when I get a chance.

My vibrations are minor (742) and seems to be coming from the tail based from the spectrum analyzer. I was able to test it with the bluetooth module in normal and idle up. The heli still flies rock solid and that's flying hard 3d and slow sport flying.

After more thorough inspection I just found a thrust bearing on the main rotor head installed backwards and no grease applied. I decided to check the tail and that too had no grease. I was able to get rid of the tail slop by replacing the tail rotor holder with a new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in