Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano CP X or something else?

Hey everyone,

I've been away for a bit after selling my mSR a few years ago. Well, I've got the itch again after talking to a co-worker about heli's the other day. So what would you recommend coming from the mSR? The Nano CP X looks cool, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. The mSR was fun but it seemed lacking with the stock radio. Has there been improvements in the newer models?
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Nano CPX is pretty twitchy and a totally different bird than the MSR. Pick up a decent computer radio (DX7, Devo, etc) and you can find lots of threads on settings to "tame down" the Nano CPX. It's extremely durable, and doesn't need any upgrades out-of-the-box. I recommend it to all looking to step up to Collective pitch!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my nano CPX. The nano and Phoenix sim is what got me into flying CP helis. Not 20 mins ago I fired up my nano and flew it in my office for some orientation practice. If you can fly a nano you can fly up to atleast a 450X (because thats what I have).
Hellacool is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I picked up my first nano cpx about a month and a half ago and I am having a blast. So much so that I took my spare parts and built a second one! In the long run it would have been cheaper just to buy two but this little guy has me hooked. I started out with a mcx2 in November 2012 and then for Xmas in 2012 I got a 120sr and Phoenix Flight sim. Over the summer I picked up a nano QX and Realflight. If the nano QX had been out I could have skipped the mcx2 and the 120sr. I saw the videos of people trying to learn to fly the nano cpx and was preparing myself for the worst. I was surprised, on the 4th attempt, I was up in a stable hover.

I feel I owe it all to the simulators and the nano QX. To the point of taking my 2nd nano CPX with the "performance blades" on outside last week and I was able to get it in to an inverted hover several times on my first battery (and yes not all the attemps ended right side up and not plowed into the ground.)

My recommendation is get RealFlight, a decent radio and the nano cpx.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post
I love my nano CPX. The nano and Phoenix sim is what got me into flying CP helis. Not 20 mins ago I fired up my nano and flew it in my office for some orientation practice. If you can fly a nano you can fly up to atleast a 450X (because thats what I have).
If you can fly a nano, you can fly any size rc heli. You might crap your pants if you fire up a logo 800 xxtreme as your first real size heli but you could fly it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to be different, I'll recommend the mCPX...

1) Much more stable

2) Easier to repair

3) More durable

4) It's been the workhorse of CP trainers since 2011

Can you tell from My signature that it's My favorite ?
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDepto View Post
My recommendation is get RealFlight, a decent radio and the nano cpx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseh View Post
If you can fly a nano, you can fly any size rc heli. You might crap your pants if you fire up a logo 800 xxtreme as your first real size heli but you could fly it.

Also, bad weather = living room = RF and nano.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Just to be different, I'll recommend the mCPX...

1) Much more stable

2) Easier to repair

3) More durable

4) It's been the workhorse of CP trainers since 2011

Can you tell from My signature that it's My favorite ?
+1

I would recommend nano cpx for fast learners and mcpx for slow learners.

What is a slow learner? Probably everyone over 40. And most over 30. A slow learner is you are going to be challenged just to hover a CP upright and are going to spend a good bit of time on upright flying skills. The mcpx is just easier. I am a self described slow learner when it comes to RC.

What is a fast learner? You will be trying to do inverted in two weeks and the upright hover was less than a challenge. You will appreciate the added maneuverability of the nano over the mcpx.

I find the unmodified mcpx v1 inverts better today than 3 years ago. The tail no longer blows out. Could I have better collective skills than 3 years ago?. Nah. More likely my radio/helicopter setup skills have improved.

For the record, my first upright controlled, no longer crashing, longer than 5 seconds CP hover took three months of effort. That is not a fast learner by any stretch of imagination.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's, I am also considering the SR 120 just to get reacquainted with flying a heli again. We'll see!
marh415 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marh415 View Post
Thanks for the reply's, I am also considering the SR 120 just to get reacquainted with flying a heli again. We'll see!
A good-sized step backward in the technology curve...

The 120SR is a fine heli for it's day...and many love it to death and spend hours flying and making it fly better...

But it's tech is a bit behind...it won't teach you to FLY (like an AS3X heli would) it will only teach you how to avoid crashing

If you like the larger-than-mSR size, the 180QX quad is a much better option for less cost and includes an on-board camera
Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In my humble opinion the SR 120's day has come and gone.

I recommend spending the money on almost anything else....mcpx, transmitter, sim, nano cpx, even the new B200 SRX.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good point about the SR 120, I have thought about that too. I keep coming back to the CP X just for the newer tech. I haven't given a lot of thought about the the quads. I'll check those out too. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good in between would be the Nano QX. It can fly like a very well behaved mSR and in agility mode it's like CP helicopter that can only do upright. Little cheaper to buy and probably little more durable and cheaper to keep in the air.

You will outgrow it quicker and it's probably not a great outdoor flyer, but as a basic CP trainer it's hard to beat.

If you have a flying field nearby you can safely jump straight to a 450 or bigger after mastering QX in agility mode.

And a sim, should really get a sim as well.
TheQuixote is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have quite a few micro helis and don't think you can go wrong with either the MCPX (if you can still find one) or the nCPx. I also have an mQX and a nanoQX the quads would be great for sensitivity and orientation training.

The nCPx, for me, is better indoors even though it is twitchier. Taming it down with a DX6i works wonders. The MCPX's fly better outside imho and can be flown indoors as well but need a bit more room. the nano is lighter and does less damage (both to itself and to anything that may jump up in front of it indoors like a wall or something ).

Just my two cents. Whatever you decide to get, enjoy it!

Jim
Old 04-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am most likely going to go with a DX 6i and a BNF Nano CP. (I was also checking out the new Eflite UMX Radian too.) I was going to hold off for the 200 SR, but if history is any indicator, then I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am most likely going to go with a DX 6i and a BNF Nano CP. (I was also checking out the new Eflite UMX Radian too.) I was going to hold off for the 200 SR, but if history is any indicator, then I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment.
I've no idea what a UMX radian, is but grats on your nano! You'll enjoy it despite the crappy brushed motors. There is still nothing else quite like the nano I'm aware of. Honestly, imo, this heli and the mCP X are possibly Blade's best contribution to the rc heli world.

I think the nano qx is a fantastic product too for newbies, btw, but from my perspective since I already learnt to fly prior to its release its impact on me is less profound.

You should also get a sim. I know I am possibly choosing sides here, Real Flight is it if you've got a half decent box. Oh my god... the customisation possible. It's just awesome. Worth every penny in my opinion. Probably better bang for buck than the nano. I have phoenix too, but that hardly ever gets run now.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with the Nano QX and DX6i! Thanks for all your input!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does the nano charge it's batteries, is it from a couple AA? Not through a wall outlet?

Is it true one of a few weakness of the nao is the main motor?
jaxxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both the nCPX and nQX use the 1S 3.7v battery...with multiple cgarging options ranging from AAAA batteries in a stock charger to usb dual port chargers in your PC or with a wall adapter...to a parallel charging cable or board to a digital charger and several other setups

Edit: Motors seem to be a weakness with both

Last edited by JonJet; 04-28-2014 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Edit:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bone stock NCPX is more indoor friendly than MCPX. I found MCPX a tad too much for indoors, doable, but NCPX better. Also get the NQX Quad as well. The quads are great for learning orientation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in