Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX6i switch replacement

All,

My trusty co-pilot (he's seven...and related to me...) dropped the radio onto the Flight Mode switch, rendering it mostly inoperable. Any known sources of replacement switches EXACTLY like it? I really would rather not give up the radio for two weeks for a 10 minute repair.

Obvious sources like Radio Shack exist - am wondering if anyone has been here before and has a source.

Thanks!
T-Rex 500ESP, GY401/9257, 6s 3000mAh 100% Flat TC X9303; Nano CPS
EVBmcx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So you need a 3 position toggle switch (ON-ON-ON) with a flat actuator. If you remove it, you may be able to find a part number.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...eywords=toggle
marchambault is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ed, did you ever find the part you needed?

I had a similar accident and broke the trainer switch. I found a part on Digikey that would fit, but it was a non stock item. More searching found some replacement switches for Futaba radios that look identical.

The trainer switch I need is ML-1FLP.

I think the switch you need is a two position switch, not three as marchambault suggested. This looks like the one you need: ML-1AFSP

Links are to tower hobbies, but they are available at other stores if you google the part numbers.

I'm going to call a couple of LHS to see if they stock the parts too.
BritOnTour is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

My cat jumped on me while I was flying. I looked down, saw the cat, looked back, saw the heli coming right at me. I dropped my DX6i and caught the heli. I should have just let it crash

I broke the two on the top right corner, it's one long and one short switch.
SpotTheCat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

So nobody can confirm that these switches fit the cutouts of the spektrum radios?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotTheCat View Post
So nobody can confirm that these switches fit the cutouts of the spektrum radios?
I'm trying to get my LHS to order the switch for me. So far no luck. Any Miniature Toggle Switch will fit the cutouts in the Spektrum radios. You just need to make sure it has the same function. The trainer switch is a momentary on. All of the others are 2 position On-On switches, just with different levers. The DX6i doesn't use any 3 position switches.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I switched my flight mode switch with the rudder dual rate switch - works fine and I didn't use that one anyway. It is a SPDT switch - only 2 modes (not the DX7 unfortunately - how nice it would be to put in a 3 position and get that extra feature!)

My training switch WAS being used for my timer but has gone on strike as of late - no impact or anything - moved that function to throttle cut and that works.

If you are able to get drop in replacements of the same general size, I'll probably order them too and just bring the tx back to full function.

Thanks all for the info.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm running to my LHS now to see if they have appropriate switches in stock.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ed, did you ever find the part you needed?

I had a similar accident and broke the trainer switch. I found a part on Digikey that would fit, but it was a non stock item. More searching found some replacement switches for Futaba radios that look identical.

The trainer switch I need is ML-1FLP.

I think the switch you need is a two position switch, not three as marchambault suggested. This looks like the one you need: ML-1AFSP

Links are to tower hobbies, but they are available at other stores if you google the part numbers.

I'm going to call a couple of LHS to see if they stock the parts too.
OK- just ordered these two items - it is a two position switch. Will report on their match to the specktrum parts on arrival. Thanks for the source.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my switches. They appear identical. The do not come with the exterior mounting nut - but the one on the old switch fits fine so they are going to work. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glad I could help. I think I will be ordering the trainer switch myself. I've heard nothing back from the LHS so this may be my only option.

www.twitter.com/britontour
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both installed - problems solved. Thanks again - made the 7 yr old who dropped it watch the repair process in the cold garage - I think the point was made!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

A quick point - they are not exactly the same - Spectrum are red, these are black (inside - you'll never see this). The Spectrum wire tabs have wire holes, the Futabas are just tabs. Not significant but it is a little different.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

I ordered the futaba trainer switch and installed it, now nothing will bind to my dx6i--any ideas. The trans. is flashing bind and beeping when i turn it on with the switch held. I initially was able to bind my vapor but now nothing will bind. I have the orange wire soldered to the bottom prong and the black to the next one up.

Please help if you've done the switch replacement.

thanks!!
agraves73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am responding to this without looking at my radio so take this with a grain of salt. However - the switch probably has three prongs on it. The current path is from the center prong to whichever prong is OPPOSITE to the switch position. So if the switch in normally down, in that position the current flow is from center to top prong - for the normal position.

When you bind you hold the switch in the up position. So you want your wires to be soldered to the Down prong (remember, opposite) and the center prong. It shouldn't matter which goes where as long as those are the two prongs used.

You should be able to test this by setting the timer to the trainer switch. If you can turn on the timer - it works and you should be able to bind or you have a different problem.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by agraves73 View Post
I ordered the futaba trainer switch and installed it, now nothing will bind to my dx6i--any ideas. The trans. is flashing bind and beeping when i turn it on with the switch held. I initially was able to bind my vapor but now nothing will bind. I have the orange wire soldered to the bottom prong and the black to the next one up.

Please help if you've done the switch replacement.

thanks!!
If the TX turns on as normal without the trainer switch held, and with the switch held it enters the Bind mode, then there is nothing wrong with the switch.

Check the TX batteries. Check the RX is in bind mode (ie bind plug installed, then apply power) Usually, the RX led will be flashing rapidly. Then hold Trainer switch on and turn on TX. When BIND appears, RX LED should stop flashing. Release trainer switch. Turn everything off, remove bind plug, turn on TX. apply power to RX.

Hope that helps. Let me know if ou still have a problem

www.twitter.com/britontour
Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Wow thanks to both of you for the quick reply!

Yes EVB--there are 3 prongs on the switch---thank you for the quick electronics lesson!---after checking it, yes i have it wired to the center prong and the down prong---it doesn't seem to matter which color wire is on the center and down both say bind when turning on the trans. with the switch engaged. So i'm starting to think i have a different problem.

Brit---i will replace the trans. batteries and see if that helps--it has freshly recharged batts. in it but worth a shot. The weird thing about all of this is it did bind to my Vapor before and now won't. I initially had the switch wired wrong where it would stay on bind all the time when you turned the trans. on and somehow it binded to the vapor then, but since wiring the switch "right" so that it would only bind when holding the switch while turning on the trans. it won't bind----the vapor doesn't require a bind plug just automatically searches for a bind when you install the battery. I went through the bind plug process with my radian and it just won't bind.
agraves73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I found two parts on digikey. One is the longer toggle and the other is the flat toggle for the dual rates

Flap/gyro/throttle hold EG2367-ND
Dual rates EG2368-ND

Hope this helps

Ernie
Ernie34 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Switch Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBmcx View Post
All,

My trusty co-pilot (he's seven...and related to me...) dropped the radio onto the Flight Mode switch, rendering it mostly inoperable. Any known sources of replacement switches EXACTLY like it? I really would rather not give up the radio for two weeks for a 10 minute repair.

Obvious sources like Radio Shack exist - am wondering if anyone has been here before and has a source.

Thanks!
I recently had a similar problem (my "GEAR / F MODE" switch cracked off when my DX6i fell off the end-table). I bought a mini toggle switch (SPDT 275-635) from Radio Shack that fit perfectly. No modifying of either switch or radio was needed and I was back in business 45 minutes after leaving to the store to buy the switch!
scootrick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie34 View Post
I found two parts on digikey. One is the longer toggle and the other is the flat toggle for the dual rates

Flap/gyro/throttle hold EG2367-ND
Dual rates EG2368-ND

Hope this helps

Ernie
Anyone verify these fit?
Bmr4life is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in