Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Castle Creations Quick Tip videos

No prob post back let us know you got it working right...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll have to wait till I get my castle link, so might take a while.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HI I have the castle link yet im a bit worried about plugging it in as i have the T700e v2 set up with the phoenix ice 2 HV120 as it comes in the kit and its already set up with the Vbar and working fine .
Yet on Vbar set up i had to move the end points on my throttle and they read (Futaba 14sg) at low stick =107 and at high stick =91,so my question is if i plug it in
1) will it reset the hole ESC and will i have to reprogram the hole thing?
2) will changing the end points mess up the Vbar settings?
3) i see there is a update button is it worth doing this ,if so will i have to reprogram the hole thing again(if its not broken dont try and fix it ) that is how i think
4) if i set the governor up, from the videos i have seen it gives a % reading is this the reading i have to set as my throttle curves ?
im very new to electric as this is my first electric heli as i have always been nitro so im sure you can understand my concerns
and Thank You
smokingtommy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, I have a question.
I have just set up a 600 for a friend and he is useing jr 12x radio and cc110 hv.
I alway make sure there is no trim upon set up but this was a bit different.
If the throttle trim was centred then the throttle curve shows about 20% throttle or so.
dropping the throttle trim all the way down gives me my wanted 0 at low stick on the curve.
I use a dx7 and with the trim centred I have no issue.
So, I guess it depends on the radio???
BLADE MCPX BL
FLYGUY 11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just bought a Phoenix Edge 100. I don't see anything in the instructions about throttle calibrations. Do I need to go through this process?

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
foolforspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolforspeed View Post
Just bought a Phoenix Edge 100. I don't see anything in the instructions about throttle calibrations. Do I need to go through this process?
Yes you do. You will need to use the Castle Link in order to first set the features properly since many of the Castle ESCs come defaulted for airplane use, then go thorough the throttle calibration as shown.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the CC Edge 50 & tried to set T-endpoints & it doesn't set.
When the ESC is connected everything works properly, even the governor.
Even when the batt is connected when the throttle is at any position above low the ESC will not arm until the throttle is set to the lowest position.
The instructions say nothing about setting throttle endpoints.
I have a CC ICE 100 on a 600e & it set-up endpoints perfectly.
Don't know what to think.
Drev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drev View Post
I have the CC Edge 50 & tried to set T-endpoints & it doesn't set.
When the ESC is connected everything works properly, even the governor.
Even when the batt is connected when the throttle is at any position above low the ESC will not arm until the throttle is set to the lowest position.
The instructions say nothing about setting throttle endpoints.
I have a CC ICE 100 on a 600e & it set-up endpoints perfectly.
Don't know what to think.
Your question is confusing. It should not arm until it sees low throttle. Yes you must set the endpoints properly typically low throttle will not be seen until you reach a value below 100% at least on Spektrum. Make sure you set the endpoints with a linear throttle curve and no throttle trim in radio. Hope this helps....

Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's correct, the ESC does not arm until it sees low throttle.
If the throttle stick is in any position above low throttle when the battery is connected,the ESC will not arm.
Once the throttle is moved to the low throttle position the ESC arms.
It acts just like the endpoints were set but they aren't.
Getting confused...
Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drev View Post
That's correct, the ESC does not arm until it sees low throttle.
If the throttle stick is in any position above low throttle when the battery is connected,the ESC will not arm.
Once the throttle is moved to the low throttle position the ESC arms.
It acts just like the endpoints were set but they aren't.
Getting confused...
Thats how it is supposed to work.... this keeps ESC from arming in case throttle is above the low throttle setting.... be sure to rebind your rx once you get it right so your failsafe will be properly stored....

Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea, I always rebind after the full set-up is complete.
Just makes good sense.

Doesn't setting throttle endpoints set the failsafe?
I guess the CC Edge doesn't work the same as the ICE.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, so I am new to the electric field and bigger heli's. I am just starting to go though the programming to set up the ESC and throttle end points.

I have followed the you tube vid, and the pdf and for the life of me it will not arm.

Im running a skookum 540, CC Ice50 Lite and a scorpion 2025 1630kV motor my radio is a DX7.

I get all the lipo beeps at the start, then the little red light flashes rapidly.

I move the end points down below to about 50 on high and low.

turn the radio on, make sure it is bound, then power cycle the ESC, put the stick to high, then start moving though the throttle end points, no matter what I do it will not beep to read it. I even went to zero, and all the way to 150%

Opening up the skookum, it shows the throttle inputs, and is also able to set the end points. but it push's out that its going from zero to 100% no worries.

Have I overlooked anything?
warped82 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try putting throttle on high before powering up the ESC. That will put it into calibration mode.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
foolforspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have done that too. But I still only get the lipo count beeps.

So my work flow is

power up the esc/skookum etc
let the radio bind to the skookum (running a satellite)
with the stick at high, power cycle the system
(its a safety feature I believe that it wont bind unless its done a certain way)
nothing happens apart form the lipo beeps, and rapid flashing red LED.

just a little frustrating as the skookum RX is showing a zero output, the controller TX is matching the zero output. but the esc isn't seeing it
Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped82 View Post
I have done that too. But I still only get the lipo count beeps.

So my work flow is

power up the esc/skookum etc
let the radio bind to the skookum (running a satellite)
with the stick at high, power cycle the system
(its a safety feature I believe that it wont bind unless its done a certain way)
nothing happens apart form the lipo beeps, and rapid flashing red LED.

just a little frustrating as the skookum RX is showing a zero output, the controller TX is matching the zero output. but the esc isn't seeing it
warped, try this trick out and see if it helps. There have been issues reported in the past that the Skookum isn't putting out full throttle signal, so the ESC can't be calibrated. This can be resolved in a three step process if this is your issue.

1) Start with a linear throttle curve, trim centered and set your TXs throttle end points to 150%. Go into the Skookum software and set the high and low throttle positions while in a standard flight mode (don't use TH as your low. Simply lower the throttle stick). This should ensure max throttle signal is being sent out by the Skookum side first.

2) Now set the end points in the TX down to 50% and follow the castle end point setting procedure. Power up the ESC with full throttle and you should get the rapid flashing led for calibration.Once again, use a standard flight mode for this and not TH.

3) Once the Castle end points are set, go back into the SK software one last time and set the low and high throttle positions again based on the calibrated ESC. You can set the idle portion using TH now, and you should see zero and 100% show in the live data in the SK software after doing this.

The Skookum will show zero and max wherever you set low and high stick no matter what position the throttle happens to actually be in. It sounds like your calibration is off, so you are still passing signal though despite what your TX or the SK software saying zero. You may need to also set your TH below zero to a negative value
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

:O(

So i have done a full data reset to make sure that the TX has a fresh start, no accidental inputs from me.

set it to 150% on both low and high sticks.
plugged in the skookum set the throttle to absolute zero, then set that as idle. update.
set the throttle to absolute 100%, then set that as max throttle. update

plugged in the castle connect, made 100% sure it has all the latest updates firmware and program based.

Made sure it was set for Heli, and Throttle end points. Updated. Read esc checked that all were as they should be.

back into the TX, reset the throttle adjustments to 0% on both (so i can get a full range)

turn the TX off, make sure the esc isn't plugged in.

Make sure stick is high, turn the TX on, plug the battery. Three Lipo beeps, rapid flashing, skookum flashes red, meanwhile satellite flashes orange then solid, skookum goes green and holds steady. (esc still rapidly at about 3-5 flashes a second).

Go to TX throttle adjust move slowly though the %'s to 150.

Nothing.

I'm lost, I thought the esc was just supposed to "work out of the box"

I'm definitely no dummy when it comes to electronics but i don't know which way to go and i don't know how i can actually make sure that the skookum is outputting a signal apart from when i plug it into the PC.

Can I slip a multi meter on it to see if i can see a voltage differential?

Warped
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure what to tell you. I have Castle on all my helis which are Skookum equipped as well. I have never had any issue getting the ESC to calibrate. Do you have another standard RX that you could power up just for the purpose of calibrating the ESC?
Maybe time to call the castle guys and see what they advise.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Xyrated,

so i had another esc bumping around CC75 ICE decided to punch some connectors onto it and give it a rip.........

turn it on same sounds 3 beeps. yep

start moving up the scale as before. bingo....

its the Ice 50 thats having the issues it doesn't want to see the throttle end points.

Do you guys suggest that I just go and shoot them a email?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, get in touch with them for advice on how to handle. Too bad it was the ESC causing the issues all along!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep all along... ill shoot them an email tomorrow to see what can be done

Its a pain when you're new to a hobby so many things to learn. But im a engineer by trade so the more technical the better.

Kind of like my telescope hobby tracking stars while taking 20 min exposures with a accuracy of less than 5 microns... it takes time to learn the finer points.

Any ways Thank you for your help im sure before my warp 360 is finished ill be reaching out to the community!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in