Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align GPRO

Hi
Recently installed this system on the Align 500 Dominator and am experiencing 'tail wag'. On my Atom 500 I have the Skookum SK540 and all works great. I'm not sure what adjustments are available on the gpro to try and solve the problem. Incidentally the system is set up as per out of the box with nothing touched in the parameter settings except to 'click' the beginner settings box.
eric Hartley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just helped setup a GPro on a new Trex 600 build with a dx9, and was pleasantly surprised with the software, etc.

What radio are you using? The dx9 tail gain was set on the gyro switch (for initial in flight adjustment) and the values could be seen changing on the GPro software when the gpro switch was moved on the radio.

Let us know what radio you have, but a fast tail wag is normally the result of too much electronic or mechanic gain. Or both; assuming your tail system moves freely without binding.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Align GPRO

Hi
Tx. is Futaba 14sg.Incidentally the tail wag is exceptionally rapid. There is no binding in the tail system.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, unfortunately I'm not familiar with Futaba, but is your tail gain assigned to a specific switch, and can you see the gain changing in the software when you move the switch?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align gpro

Hi
I did not assign any switches to the tail gain setting and merely left things as they were. I watched the Jeff Fastbinder video and didn't really understand the purpose of being able to switch tail gain settings! maybe you would be good enough to explain to me bearing in mind I'm a relative newcomer to Heli. flight.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't watched all of Jeff's video, but typically, the purpose of assigning tail gain to a switch is - depending on which switch it's assigned to - permit adjustment in flight. Let me explain further...

What I do initially is assign tail gain to a separate switch (gyro for example) rather than to my flight mode/idle up switch. I then arbitrarily set three values to that switch (say 70-60-50%) so that when I'm tuning a bird if I get tail wag at the 70% position, I simply move the switch to the 60% position. If the wag stops, then I know the ideal gain for that headspeed is somewhere between 60 & 70%. I then start narrowing down my values until I have a solid tail without wag at that particular headspeed. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Once I've done that for all three of my headspeeds, and I'm confident in my three gain values, I then move and reassign the tail gyro gain function to my flight mode switch so that my gain automatically changes to the correct/tuned value when I change headspeeds.

We're a little off topic here, but I hope you understand my logic and explanation, but if not please ask any questions you may have and I'll attempt to clarify.

In your particular case, I asked the question about a switch assignment because it's important to know that any change you make in the radio is indeed seen by your GPro - and it would be visible on the one tab with all of the slider bars (I can't recall the name of it).

Hopefully someone with Futaba experience will chime in and explain which switch tail gain is normally assigned to so we can get your gain adjusted and ultimately alleviate your tail wag.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align gpro

Hi
I've assigned a 3 way switch for gyro settings viz.65% avcs,50%avcs,50% normal.According to info. I've picked up from the forum the two former settings relate to head hold although I don't understand the need for normal mode. Presumably I now need to try the heli. on these settings and adjust accordingly until the tail wag disappears?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align gopro

Hi
The gyro settings seem ok and the tail wag has now gone.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couple of questions- I am going from flybarred to flybarless so I know how to set the gain on the TX but I cant get mine to see a positive number on the lower setting of my gains switch.
Using the software to view endpoints and using travel adjust for the gain swith if I go to the low setting ( gain switch down) I can only bring it up to 0 on the software slider.
How can I go positive with that?

Second- Im not a 3D flier, just a cruzer. I want this heli to feel like my 500E with a flybar. I only have 35% swash mix on the flybarred heli so its not really quick in respones.

The Gpro is set to "beginner default" and I flew for the first time last night.
Cant figure out if I need less swash gain or more in the stability settings but it flies like a drunk sailor.
Its seems any stick input is slow to respond and I over correct or, the stick input is too slow and by the time the heli gets the signal it need to be corrected the other way

Cant decide if I need to go more toward default setting ( more towards a 3d setup) or if I need to tone it down more
splitboarder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Splitboarder - You shouldn't have to use travel adjust/atv's to adjust your gyro gain in your radio, it should be adjustable via the Gyro Channel and a separate switch of (presumably) your own choosing. What radio do you have?

Also, try one of the other preset modes in the Gpro software - I set one up a few weeks ago on a 600, and it flew pretty well on the 3D setting (although I didn't fly it). I haven't had a chance to help the owner since then, but the software seemed pretty user-friendly....try and tweak it.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric Hartley View Post
Hi
The gyro settings seem ok and the tail wag has now gone.
Eric
Not sure I understand how you solved the bad tail wag. Ive got a new gpro conversion and see same thing. Was it just a gain adjustment? What did u find worked? You say 65 hh. Is that on the -100 to 100 range?
Thanks
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in