Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default So no DX7....what now?

So right as I'm about to order my dx7 with my preorder for the mCP X, it is discovered they are all sold out everywhere and most likely discontinued.

So what other radio should I consider that is in that price range with that type of functionality? Or should I just wait and see if they just rerelease the dx7 in an updated model?
BigAirHarper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about spektrum discontinuing the dx7, but a radio close to the same price range would be a futaba 7c and slightly more than the dx7. The other popular brands don't have an in production 7ch for 2.4GHz, so you would have to go up to an 8 or 9 ch and pay significantly more or downgrade to a 6ch.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, all the major online stores are out of them. I've emailed certain ones and they have speculated a discontinuation. Here is a thread where people who know HH folk have had confirmed discontinued whispers:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=183441&page=5
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Horizon Hobby is taking back orders. The Spektrum RC site shows the DX7 and the photo now shows the DSMX logo where the DSM2 logo used to be. It seems like they'd really be wasting their time to photoshop of a new DSMX version if they weren't planning to sell them. I think a more likely explanation is that, like most manufacturers, they wanted to let the supply of the old version dry up in the distribution channels before introducing the new one.

Same applies to the DX6i which is also out of stock at Horizon.

DX8s are still in stock because you can upgrade those to DSMX with just a firmware download. (Already available.)
Dave H. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAirHarper View Post
So right as I'm about to order my dx7 with my preorder for the mCP X, it is discovered they are all sold out everywhere and most likely discontinued.

So what other radio should I consider that is in that price range with that type of functionality? Or should I just wait and see if they just rerelease the dx7 in an updated model?
How about a futaba 8fg? Good radio, shit load of settings. Confusing sometimes. Very nice touchpad.
You can assign every switch. It's really a 10 ch radio with a 8ch receiver. Receiver is expensive, there
orangerx that are cheaper receiver that will work. They have the futaba compatible 2.4 receiver. I like
it. Can tune you're engine, can adjust you're govenor can do so much things. And work great on realflight
sim and phonix.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Switch frequency faster then spektrum. More stealth proof. It change hundren of frequency per second. And its fasst.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OP said that he is looking for a radio to complement his mCPx so that would leave him with only dsm2 compatible radios. I'd say wait for the new dx7 or get the new dx6i or dx8
LogoFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, see this was my thought as well since I noticed the DX6i and DX8 all have the "JR" click wheel type thing on the menu selector screen and the DX7 didn't. I figured they might be doing a refresh to update the DX7 to feature that menu type as well as over the new DSMX. The DX8 is out of my price range, but a DX6i could be a possibility depending on if/when they release the updated dx7. I don't mind waiting a bit, but I also really want that mCPx to go with my Trex.

So what would be my main difference/limitations if I went with the DX6i over the "future" dx7 assuming one is coming?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tell me what the "future DX7" would be and I'll be able to tell you how it might be different than a DX6.

The current DX7 appears to be an actual JR-based radio. It's clearly the same casing and buttons that JR has used on its midrange radios for years. It does seem likely that at some point it may be replaced so that the whole Spektrum line has the same look and feel. Then again, by keeping one with the traditional JR look they make people who dislike the Spektrum style happy so who knows how or when it will play out.

For the moment, however, Spektrum is showing the same old DX7 style on their web page with the only change being that the DSM2 logo has been replaced with the DSMX logo. So I doubt an additional change is imminent when the most recent change hasn't even become available yet. But those of us who don't work for Spektrum really have no way of knowing.

Maybe get a used DX7? It's an extremely popular radio so there must be many for sale used.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha well I guess tell me the main differences/limitations between the current dx7 that can't be found and the dx6i. I would be using it for my Trex450 and msr/mCPx as well as any other electric heli down the road. If I got the dx6i would I be missing any key features from the 7?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just off the top of my head as a DX7 and DX8 but not DX6 owner:

One more channel - might get interesting if you ever want a governor or a multi-axis gyro. More mixes and mixing features - like an offset that is missing from the DX6. Twice as many model memories. I believe more swash types (not sure) - though a Trex 450 would be fine on the DX6. More solid "feel". Bigger/nicer LCD screen - though the DX6's roller makes it easier to figure out - especially for people who don't read manuals.

All that said, you'll probably be fine for some time with either one. I've seen an IMAC plane flown with a DX6i and I've seen a Ember ($99 plane) flown with a JR 12X so it's largely a matter of preference.

Like I said though, I only know the DX6 from helping some folks out. I'm not completely familiar with it.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright well thanks for the info, I guess I'll do a little investigating and see if waiting on a potentially new dx7 is worth it, or if I should just get something now. I may just get a DX6i to tide me over, and if I decide to upgrade later on I can....
Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAirHarper View Post
Alright well thanks for the info, I guess I'll do a little investigating and see if waiting on a potentially new dx7 is worth it, or if I should just get something now. I may just get a DX6i to tide me over, and if I decide to upgrade later on I can....
Just spit out the money and but a good system and stay with it for many years to come. Futaba is more secure then anything else. Futaba been using 2.4 since the 90's. Just wasn't the first to bring out the
2.4ghz into the market. It's all about using you're head.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjames View Post
Just spit out the money and but a good system and stay with it for many years to come. Futaba is more secure then anything else. Futaba been using 2.4 since the 90's. Just wasn't the first to bring out the
2.4ghz into the market. It's all about using you're head.
Hmmm... Will it work with the mCPx?
LogoFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogoFreak View Post
Hmmm... Will it work with the mCPx?
No.....

The orange T-shirt crowd is ALWAYS trying to get other folks on their bandwagon...

Don't have anything specific to point you at, but it looks like the reason all the radios are showing as out of stock is that as previously noted, Horizon may be converting all the stuff on hand to DSMX and the parts they needed (there is something being changed in the RF deck) for everything but the DX-8 were a bit late arriving.

The new DSMX protocol tx's are backward compatible with the DSM2 rx's (that's what is currently installed in all the BNF stuff) and it's automatically selected for you. They are NOT compatible with the old original DSM rx's which are the AR-6000 Park Flyer rx's.
zeb29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb29 View Post
No.....

The orange T-shirt crowd is ALWAYS trying to get other folks on their bandwagon...

Don't have anything specific to point you at, but it looks like the reason all the radios are showing as out of stock is that as previously noted, Horizon may be converting all the stuff on hand to DSMX and the parts they needed (there is something being changed in the RF deck) for everything but the DX-8 were a bit late arriving.

The new DSMX protocol tx's are backward compatible with the DSM2 rx's (that's what is currently installed in all the BNF stuff) and it's automatically selected for you. They are NOT compatible with the old original DSM rx's which are the AR-6000 Park Flyer rx's.
I have a dx8 and had a dx6i I like it, futaba 8fg is more advance. I've been in this hobby since the 80's. I know what's good and bad. And spektrum is okay entery leval and low price.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I was hoping the new tx would be backwards compatible to the AR6000 b/c that is what I'm running in my trex 450 now, as I am using an old DX6. Looks like I will just have to pop out the receiver as well and replace it too...

I just like spektrum's stuff. It has served me well so far and I like the compatibility with the Eflite stuff as I have an mSR now and will soon have the mCPx. Now they just need to get resupplied with the tx!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying helicopters since 1976 and used to fly Futaba (which were and still are very good radios).

I only fly JR and Spektrum now...
(DX6, DX7, 10X, 11X, 12X)

I may be wrong, but I don't really consider myself at the "entry level" at this point. Used to do TV and movie work (flying helicopters and airplanes and we always used JR with the exception of a Sanwa Black Custom radio that was used once.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I have been flying helicopters since 1976 and used to fly Futaba.

I only fly JR and Spektrum now...
I fly everything I'm universal.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I fly everything I'm universal."

James,

That was one of the best responses I have ever seen on the forums-one cannot argue with it!

We disagree on some things, but that was an absolutely great response sir!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in