Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

This thread is excellent!

I believe my swash plate is level and I have the zero pitch at mid stick. My question pertains to the length of the pushrods. I've twisted them forward and backwards so many times, I don't know what the right length should be. I mean you can level the swash plate with them maximally extended for instance. Ofcourse, that seems to impact the ability to get enough pitch in one of the directions.

I've been trying to go by feel holding the heli in my hand and alternating max positive and max negative and trying to adjust the length such that I can get nearly equal force. Does that make sense, am I going about this the right way?
helifred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya you are over complicating it. Assuming you have a computer radio you should have your throttle hold pitch curve set to flat 50 which will equal 0 degrees pitch. With throttle hold engaged adjust all 3 links back so the swash is level which should give you 0 degrees pitch on both blades. You want to level it in the middle of its range of travel.
I wouldn't worry to much about it being level at the collective extremes you wont be spending much time with full pitch applied…

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you get it close you can adjust desired pitch up and down by changing the pitch endpoints…

Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I understand. Thank you!

I wasn't quite sure, one of the posts had said to unwind them 2 or 3 turns so I figured the length was important.
helifred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helifred View Post
I think I understand. Thank you!

I wasn't quite sure, one of the posts had said to unwind them 2 or 3 turns so I figured the length was important.
They were probably referring to the fact that many come with the swash fairly level but not centered properly. Only way to be positive it is setup properly is to do it yourself as you have been doing… have fun!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I checked my mCPx v2 out of the box. It was 0 pitch with throttle stick @ mid level. I did not checked the swashplate yet but eyeballing it. (I know it is not effective this way) it seems fairly level. Do I still have to do the entire setup $ unpop the ball links to bring it to 0 pitch?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Hi

Some MCPX come from the factory right on zero pitch when pared up with a transmitter.

You are one of the lucky ones!
I would say if it's not broken, don't fix it.

You likely don't need to adjust your swash plate at all.
Just set up your transmitter and see how the helicopter flies.

You can always make needed adjustments later.
Let me know what you think later.
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with Ron. Mine came out of the box dead zero pitch at mid stick and level swash. If it all looks good, fly it. You'll know. Like already said if it ain't broke don't fix it Seems Blade is trying a wee bit better lately on QC?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome. Thanks firedude. Ron I know you already know and of all the different forums of different topics Helifreak users are very patient, friendly & polite.But your collaboration with newbies and the mCPX is more than excellent. I kinda flew it this morning just up & down with the settings for the DX8 downloaded from the Spectrum site. And It has way to much negative pitch. So much it feels heavy. I started putting in your settings but have not tried it yet. Maybe I will have time in the evening. As soon as I do I will let you guys know how it went.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

For this procedure as outlined in post #1, wouldn't it make more sense if step one was to check the pitch angle of the blades (toothpick method), rather than turning all three servo pushrod links 3 turns out?

My heli ultimately required only turning one of the servo links out 1 turn.

Just curious.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should check the setup first before just automatically turning the swash links. Mine came perfect out of the box with zero pitch at mid stick, swash dead level and no neg pitch issues. Once you check everything then you'll know if anything needs to be done. Had I done that right out of the box it would have created issues for me and work that wasn't needed. I think Blade may have solved the too much neg pitch issue out of box as myself and 2 others have gotten perfect heli's set straight out of the box. Just must 2 cents, check first before twisting away on things
Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another new mCP... I did the 3 turns first, but then during leveling ended up taking them right back out.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello all

Unfortunately as much as I would like to, I cannot go back in and make corrections to the original post. At the time I had 3 MCPX's and had worked on several others.
Every one came out of the box with 3 turns negative pitch. That is why it was written this way. I guess in there infinite wisdom H H has corrected the problem in manufacturing.
So it has tossed a wrench into the gears!

Ron
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
Unfortunately as much as I would like to, I cannot go back in and make corrections to the original post. At the time I had 3 MCPX's and had worked on several others.
Every one came out of the box with 3 turns negative pitch. That is why it was written this way. I guess in there infinite wisdom H H has corrected the problem in manufacturing.
So it has tossed a wrench into the gears!

Ron
Didn't intend to imply criticism of the OP - just agreeing with other new owners, and letting future new owners know, that the situation might have changed.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thanks guys

I'm not feeling picked on. Constructive Input is always welcome.
Ron
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

sadly, when checking for 0 pi at mid stick, mine also not at 0 pi......too much neg pi...

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

o well, gonna do swash levelling tonite (using zip tie) and later 0 pitch at mid. I'll be setting my TH pi curve to 50 50 50 50 50 as to get accurate mid stick position. oo btw....while hovering liitle bird this evening, I noticed that the heli vibrates/wobbled at times.

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think Ron needs to change the post at all because some inevitably will experience a neg pitch issue at some point and his post explains the corrective measures. My suggestion was to check first since as Ron put it, Blade in all their infinite wisdom may have addressed that issue. Ron has put a lot of time and effort in his instructions and the info is invaluable not only to a beginner, but also seasoned pilots who are just entering the micro world with the likes of the mCPx2.

The only thing I disagree on for taming the heli down is the use of the travel adjustments. I was able to tame mine down at first fine by simply adding a smidgen of Expo. Although you can use the travel adjust, you would never ever do that with say a 450, 500 and above etc. and would hate to think a newbie might carry that technique over to a larger bird as they progress. It's just not part of the normal setup and could cause a ton of problems. Ron is one of the best and most knowledgeable with the mCPx and he deserves a lot of credit for his efforts and time! I have referred time and time again to his info and thank him!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmboy View Post
.while hovering liitle bird this evening, I noticed that the heli vibrates/wobbled at times.
Common issues:
1) Check that there is no play in your main shaft between the main gear and the top collar above the frame. If there is, push the main gear into the frame to remove the play.
2) A cracked main shaft. You can grab the main gear in one hand and the main hub in the other and try twisting it. You should not be able to twist the main shaft. If you can, the crack is probably hidden under your main hub.
3) Tail blade is bent. You'll typically also hear more whining from the bent blade if this is the case. Try bending back in shape or replace.
jrwalte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedude52 View Post
Although you can use the travel adjust, you would never ever do that with say a 450, 500 and above etc
No harm will come from lowering travel endpoints for a FB heli as long it still offers sufficient range on the control surfaces. With FBL systems it may not be wise, but it also isn't necessary since most gyros have programmable agility and on-board endpoint adjustments in some form.

Expo is problematic for new pilots. Their primary bad tendency is over-correcting (chasing the bird), which is only magnified by expo. Personally I recommend new pilots lower D/R, clear any expo, and ignore travel adj outside of mechanical setup. But to say "you would never ever do that" is over dramatic, at the least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in