Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New swash probs?

Today my 3rd re-kit arrived, [ yes smashed another 1 ]

Just opened the box to check everything through, its all there even the new CF gyro tray which is nice.

However, the swash is different to my others, it only has 2 balls for the delrin rods [ no problem ] and all the balls are black in colour and shorter [ as in the inconsistent parts thread ]

The originals had a 1.5 mm hex screw, these a 2.5. Also there is what looks like a washer built into the whole thing. This renders the silver spacers from the old swash useless.

Is this now the "New" norm here? Looking at it, looks like the links will not be as 90% as before.

Cheers....
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have heard rumours of the new swash with 2.5mm balls+screws.
I have not seen one yet either. Would you be able to take a photo of the swash and post it?

Many Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here we go.. also noticed the anti rotation/elev pin is longer too.

The old swash is toast so no chance of using it instead of the new one.

I haven't fitted it yet to check the geometry of the links, however i'm imagining they will be out a little now with the short balls.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interested on this too, hopefully we'll hear from the Compass support members to see what's the official reason for this.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

have they updated the anti rotation guide as well as the gyro plate??
Seems you have a mystery on your hands with the swash as no-one from compass is offering and explanation yet.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

No the anti rotation guide is the same as far as i can tell. The elev ball is closer to the swash now which might give the clearance needed.

I still haven't got any closer with the build just got too much on my plate at the mo, i should be a bit closer by the end of the week.

Would be nice to get a answer though!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have one of these new swashes with my new kit that i got a few weeks back. i actually put back on my OLD swash on the rebuild since it was still in good shape.

reason was that the delrin rods will drag on the arms because of the new spacing of the balls. since i had the old swash i just figured id continue with that until the next crash and then figure out the adjustments on the new swash.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

On mine the balls that the delrin rods attach to are exactly the same distance as the old 1.

Its the servo balls that are closer that's concerning me the most. I put the swash on last night and connected up the links. The links have a right old lean going on now.

Its all a bit odd really as this screws with the geometry now and makes no sense at all.

Going to send compass a email to find out whats going on.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Heathy,

i think Compass included the swashplate which is supplied with the 7HV now. It seems with the longer antirotation pin and the black balls it's the 7HV one. The threads on the black balls are now thicker than the former ones. Some guys have had problems with balls coming loose and Compass ugraded their swashplates !

I'm not 100% sure, but i think it is

Grtz,
Dirk
Dflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Dirk!

I will be setting the fbl tonight and will keep a close eye on my swash mixing and gains.

I will report back
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well that didn't go well.

I set about taking the balls out to clean and re-apply thread lock. As expected the threads looked like the whole worlds thread lock had been used.

I heated up each 1 before backing out, and on the last 1, SNAP

Now if this swash is the replacement, and also used in the 7HV i would be worried

Bigger threads should be stronger, right? How the hell does it snap backing out??

Email being sent to compass again.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just looking at the pics but the geometry seems wrong.... Heck it looks wrong on the stock swash but it stays together miraculously.... This one with no spacers pulling the angle now 5 more degrees?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the different swash several months ago.

Last edited by TallPaul; 08-17-2011 at 09:51 PM..
TallPaul is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Odd, mine only has 2 balls on the swash for the delrin rods [only needs 2 anyway]

My anti rotation is longer too.

I emailed compass twice now, and still no reply Customer care seems slack
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is odd that the antirotation ball has a spacer on it and the other two dont??
mikejr718 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr718 View Post
It is odd that the antirotation ball has a spacer on it and the other two dont??
This is how the 3D Plus version of the swash shipped. The FBL 6HV had spacers on all 3 swash balls. If the new swashes don't come out with longer balls or spacers, this is going to be a problem on the 3D+ moving forward. Meaning in a FBL configuration you will have to go further in on the servo horns (almost impossible on 3D+). I have the spacers for the older style swash (set the front 2 balls further out) and they are pretty much a necessity to get the geometry on the head set up optimally for vBar or BeastX on the 3D+. It would appear that the new swash will also require redoing the setup with any flybarless unit, as the geometry will be slightly different.

I hope this gets addressed in some manner. Maybe an optional longer ball link part set.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

This sort of " what the hell is going on here" sort of stuff is a real shame for Compass.
Seems more of it lately and is surely costing them sales. I know of at least two peeps who were set on the 7hv until all the muck ups happened. Went with something else instead.
Also the Atom is now becoming known as still an awesome 500 but to get it to flying point you need to fight and wrestle with it.
Come on Compass pull your socks up.
And the 6hv. C'mon having to dremel the anti rotation guide to within an inch of it's life is ridiculous.
A Rep or team member will probably jump in now and say that it aint easy and they are doing their best but I'm just sayin is all. It's a pity as I'm not struggling with these parts issues that don't seem to be getting addressed or no answer for but it sure seems many others are.
I love my Atom and I loved my 6hv and I love Compass helis.It's just a shame they keep on keeping on having issues.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmit View Post
This is how the 3D Plus version of the swash shipped. The FBL 6HV had spacers on all 3 swash balls. If the new swashes don't come out with longer balls or spacers, this is going to be a problem on the 3D+ moving forward. Meaning in a FBL configuration you will have to go further in on the servo horns (almost impossible on 3D+). I have the spacers for the older style swash (set the front 2 balls further out) and they are pretty much a necessity to get the geometry on the head set up optimally for vBar or BeastX on the 3D+. It would appear that the new swash will also require redoing the setup with any flybarless unit, as the geometry will be slightly different.

I hope this gets addressed in some manner. Maybe an optional longer ball link part set.
I'm telling you the angles are all wrong on that, not that I know anything.... Looking at stock 6HV swash angles at full deflection are barely tolerable. Like I said I remain amazed stock angles stay in the air.... Now more deflection?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpilot View Post
I'm telling you the angles are all wrong on that, not that I know anything.... Looking at stock 6HV swash angles at full deflection are barely tolerable. Like I said I remain amazed stock angles stay in the air.... Now more deflection?
Yep, your bang on. The angles are way off with the new swash.

i can't see how hard it is to produce a swash with the balls in the right place for fbl

I have managed to get a swash together from my 2 old ones and i'm ready for its 1st flight.

Still no reply from compass

Looks like my 7hv money is going on a x7 then. Always get a reply from tsh gaui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in