Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Trex 550 is not built yet, but hearing about all these OWB lockups is BS in my opinion. I can't believe Align made such a bad quality bearing. The only other heli I had a OWB lockup problem was, was my Synergy N5. It locked up a few times, so I took it out and oiled it very generously, and it never did it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always start in idle1 and then fly. Nice soft start with the Jive. Not had a huge amount of flight yet with this heli either and mainly fly big sky stuff with a lot of inverted thrown in, no serious 3D, so I think this bearing sucks. Got some Boccas on the way.

Last edited by markleyland; 10-14-2010 at 06:15 AM..
markleyland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also start in Idle 2 and fly the entire flight...when im done hit TH and cross my fingers that the main stops before the auto gear. Yes you can free the auto from main gear on the ground but it doesnt make a difference as soon as you spin the head up it locks again.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Just to update, I removed the original OWB and cleaned it very well. I then re-greased it with the Align grease and so far so good, problem solved.
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same experience here. If there is inadequate grease, it'll lock up. I actually went ahead and purchased the new KDE one way and replaced the Align stock. It was BRUTAL to press out the old OWB, and put the new one in. I didn't apply any grease, and it locked up the first flight! Of course I was doing an auto, but the 550 autos fine even with the motor turning. I then applied some lithium white grease and 10 more flights without a lock-up.

So in my experience, it just comes down to keeping the OWB properly lubricated. Even a very high quality OWB from KDE locks up if not greased properly.

I just ordered some tri-flow clear synthetic grease. Hopefully this will last a bit longer then the Align formula.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had the Align OWB lockup on me and decided to go replace it with the KDE bearing. As far as getting the old one out I have a simple solution. Take a large C clamp and two apropriate sized sockets (for a socket wrench). One should have a size slightly smaller than the bearing, and one larger than the bearing on the inside. Then use the C clamp to press the two together, pressing the bearing out of the metal hub. To replace with the new one just press it in with the clamp from one side. I also used a vice to hold the clamp and help with the process. Then I lubed up the new bearing very very well with Align grease and it has been perfect for quite a while now.
jpinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont have the heli. But I am guessing the bearing is pressed in aluminum. If thats the case. Then you should be albe to remove it easily like you do bearings in a nitro motor. Put the assembly. Providing it doesnt have any peices that will melt on it. In the oven set at 425 degrees f for about 15 minutes then just tap it out with a wood dowel. That should do the trick. put your new bearing back in it before it cools off. Hope this helps.
Martinshelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My align OWB assembly was well greased with the align grease at assembly as per the instruction manual. No problems so far.
Crash549 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have played the Align OWB game for close to 200 flights now. I have used about every type of grease and oil known to man. I replaced bearings, bearing shafts, hubs and main shaft, still in three or four flights the OWB will lockup.
After a hammering flight the OWB would lockup so bad I would not be able to brake it loose. When this happens It is a fight to remove the main shaft. I have even broken a gear once tiring to remove the main shaft before.

One day at the flight field I swapped complete main gear assembly from a 600ESP that had never had a OWB problem. With my assembly in his 600 there was not a problem, his assembly in the 550 locked up on the first flight.

Last week I installed the Boca OWB...after 16 flights no lockup...yet!
halfcab is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder what it is with the 550 that causes this? Maybe the high head speed compared to a 600 for which it was designed?
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
I wonder what it is with the 550 that causes this? Maybe the high head speed compared to a 600 for which it was designed?
Oh this happens on the 600e a lot also, though maybe not as much as the 550e. Some blame the flexy frame on the 550e, others blame the main shaft ... there seems to be no real answer from what I have read, only random solutions.
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maximum rpms for these kind of bearings is in the 10000 - 15000rpm range.. we arent getting those rpms.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure that in most cases locking is happening because of to less play between the main shaft an the upper bearing holder.

had the same issue and replaced the original owb by a second one without getting the prob solved. tried relube both with different lubs/oils but without getting it working properly.

INA owb's are of very good qualtity so i tried changing the 0.5mm spacer against the 0.3mm and the problem was solved!
PitchFella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you guys cleaning out the OWB with alcohol letting it dry ,then pushing in the align grease with your fingers?
rcuser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the progress of making an own hub. just fits. but, it can house a 12x32x10 SPRAGUE!! owb together with a 12x18x4 to keep things lined up.

Going to lave it next week. will try. if it does work, NO more lockups! EVER!
Look at the hole for the bearing! HUGE!

Bottom(radial) bearing space:
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I must be one of the lucky ones. About 50 flights and no one single lock -up. I just assembled the heli lubed the bearing with the lube included in the kit, checked everything is lining up correctly, made sure that all is smooth and tight but not too tight, just right and I have no issues with OWB, none. Reading all these threads I just think that I am either extremely lucky or you guys are doing something wrong. No offence intended but if two people are using the same tool and one needs to constantly replace it due to malfunction and the other one is using it day after day for months or even years without any issues there is usually a reason for it. If you guys are experiencing this issue on a almost daily basis there must be a good reason for it and the cause needs to be addressed before you start changing the bearings. That is just my 2 cents advice.
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the most simple reason. in extreme 3d, the bearing gets abused.. count a 12s setup into the mix, and it will lock up easily.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you overtighten the maingear bolt it will warp the one way bearing shaft. I would replace both parts if I were having problems. Also if the one way bearing shaft gets "grooved" or "galled" from the bearing it will cause lockups.
Crash549 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nko15 View Post
I have the most simple reason. in extreme 3d, the bearing gets abused.. count a 12s setup into the mix, and it will lock up easily.
Well, there you have it......Simple explanation and in your case,no doubt, you know what you need to do to address it. Good luck !!
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 30 flights on my 550 with no issues as of yet. But I was just curious if anyone has looked into upgrading your stock main shaft bearing block with KDE's Direct Thrust Bearing block. From their quote: "With the addition of the thrust-bearings to support all axial loads, more power will be available for hard pitch-pumps, 3D maneuvers, and auto-rotations; as well as protecting the integrity of the radial bearings". I'm sure this may also help the OWB especially for those doing hard 3d.

Luis
Luisito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in