Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default how to... 550L Dominator Linkage Rods

My 550L Dominator kit came with 3 linkage rods that look like this:

The ends are flat of the threads are flat, so it doesn't want to bite into the plastic ball links

The metal rods are symetrical, so how do I know which threads are clockwise, and which are anti-clockwise?

Anyone have any tips or tricks for these?
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a bit of a taper on the end of the metal rod using the electric drill and a file. Then put the plastic link loosely into a vise. With the metal rod still in the cordless drill, apply around 10-20 pounds of pressure or so, then slowly start the drill. It should bite and start screwing it in. Try your best to not go in at an angle.

If you cant see well enough, and/or dont have a magnifying glass, then to tell which way the threads are going simply use your fingernail and start turning the rod.
kfjensen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks kfjensen!

Chucked the rods in my drill press and chamfered the ends... the ball links threaded on nice and easy and straight!!! Many thanks!!!

Unfortunately, both ends of the rod are righ-handed threads, so they don't work as a turnbuckle! What a lame design! Align went through all the trouble of machining the links and didn't reverse the threads?! Now I have to buy real turnbuckles so I can precisely level my swash! Very disappointing!!!!
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Old 10-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad it worked for you. Credit goes to nitrokyosho on youtube. Found it after reading of similar troubles with the 450L build.

To be honest I would try setting it up first with the provided links. While leveling the swash in the GPRO you probably wont miss having the adjustable turnbuckles at least for mid stick. One of the steps is 90ing the servos, afterwards are you really confident that you are at 89,90 or 91°? Then in GPRO you subtrim each servo to get the swash level. Best bet is to get the links all the same length then get the swash level at mid stick, then check its also level within reason at max positive and negative. If you were attempting to level the swash using different length links(adjustable turnbuckle) then your servos by definition would not be at 90° Obviously the best case would be to have the links at exactly the correct length(adjustable turnbuckles) and the servos at 90° Later if your still not satisfied, you could simply swap out for the adjustable turnbuckles.

I see you've been around HF, so apologies if I'm stating the obvious.
kfjensen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2015, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Appreciate the thoughts, comments, and suggestions! I may have been around a while, but i never stop learning! I think I will take your suggestion and give it a go and see how it turns out.
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in