Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550 size and up related injuries

I was just wondering if there are any known cases of people getting hit by a 550 or larger sized bird. I have seen the videos of people that got hit by a 450 and it didn't look good.
But i was just talking about this with a buddy today, what would actually happen if you got hit by a larger bird. I think the chances of a fatal injury are pretty real.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kenny- View Post
I was just wondering if there are any known cases of people getting hit by a 550 or larger sized bird. I have seen the videos of people that got hit by a 450 and it didn't look good.
But i was just talking about this with a buddy today, what would actually happen if you got hit by a larger bird. I think the chances of a fatal injury are pretty real.

All I know and read about was an RC flying instructor who was killed when hit in the throat by the blade of a 700 class bird being flown by a student. I am assuming any hit from the blades of a 500 and up class heli above the chest can be fatal.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah i would assume that too. But was just wondering if it has ever happened. I've never heard of an incident with bigger heli's...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember seeing some footage of a young woman who was in the park and some idiot who was flying his heli there without permission hit her. It really sliced her up bad. In Tampa was it? Now they ran off and she did not get a good look at it and is not in the know so is is uncertain what kind of heli it was, but she was cut up pretty bad.

If the blade of a big heli it you right I could easily see someone bleeding to death from such an injury. It just has to cut a big enough artery. If your luck runs out it does not take much to kill someone.

I think that the cost and difficulty of flying big helis keeps them out of the hands of many of the idiots.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
All I know and read about was an RC flying instructor who was killed when hit in the throat by the blade of a 700 class bird being flown by a student. I am assuming any hit from the blades of a 500 and up class heli above the chest can be fatal.
Yeah, 2003, guy and his 'instructor' were flying in a public park and the student took over and the heli came back at them and hit the instructor killing him. I won't post any more details in here, out of respect, but you can google it if you want to know more. It was in the press at the time.

Just google for rc helicopter injury also, and you will find all the evidence you need of the risks.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are a few horrific accounts in the safety forums
Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow sounds real bad. Maybe this could be an eye-opener for beginners to always treat heli's with the most respect.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Found this on YouTube

Jurica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good example with really bad text dissolves.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I spent days trawling English language websites for heli injuries and in particular deaths.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=458563

Of the few deaths, most occurred at sponsored heli events.
Of injuries, most occurred to the operator, with a few to bystanders or spotters.
Non lethal injuries obviously more severe with increase in size/speed of heli. One bad case was in Asia where passerby was left with Brain damage.

There are also some evidence of pictures reporting to be heli injuries but actually prop (plane) injuries.

All in all, the RC heli sport seems to have few related crash injuries in relation to how many times we crash
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kenny- View Post

There was a picture (here I think) of a guy that got hit in the face by a Trex 500 a while back. Put him in the hospital. His nose looked like it had been stitched back on and apparently he had to have surgery for a sliced cornea.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is an example I posted a while back. The victim was hit on the back on his head by a 0.60 heli and was paralyzed. He was subsequently awarded US$1.1M in damages against the perpetrator who had already absconded.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=398484

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VdeyQaQNckA
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in