Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano cps motor upgrade?

I'm curious whether the new Nano cps will be able to use the Nano CPx upgrade brushless motor.
faqcya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have read what is obviously more than speculation (but cannot dig up a quote atm) that the stock BL ESC won't work because the connectors are different. It obviously can be made to work with some minor adjustments involving a soldering iron.

I can't wait until one of these HeliFreak veterans works out a solid way to get an outrunner on there. My factory BL ESC lasted all of 3 weeks. I want to go dual outrunner on my Nano CPs and I think I'd be willing to pay somebody else to do a proper job of soldering everything up.
Heli's that I currently fly: Lynx Oxy3+ {Build In Progress!}, JR Forza 450 {hangar queen}, Blade 180CFX, Blade mCPX BL {work horse}, Blade NanoCPX - Blade Nano QX, Blade NanoQX3D - Phoenix 5.5 - Spektrum DX6 - - HeliFreak is great! -
Canadian_Jesus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Canadian_Jesus. If its just the connectors that are different that would take no time at all to work around I wouldn't think.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just spoke to the hobby store I ordered mine from here in the U.K. Apparently the CPS's that the store ordered have been sent out from the HH European distribution hub in Germany, so with any luck I'll have mine in my hands by this time next week.

Once I've got a few flights on it in stock form, I'll be looking at fitting a AD BL main motor kit in there. It remains to be seen whether the new board will use the same negative PWM signal from the main motor FET like the CPX does, but if that checks out, then the other issue will be if the outrunner motor is going to be too wide to actually fit between the frame w/o hitting the back edge of the new board. Fingers crossed it will fit, but it looks mighty close to me from the pics I've seen.

MB
Old 10-11-2015, 03:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would be very interested in how this turns out
Old 10-11-2015, 03:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm of the impression that the frame will pose an issue...

If you want brushless conversion, the nCPX is already a proven platform, but trying to milk massive power from an intermediate class platform may prove difficult at best

We can probably assume that it will suffer the same board issues that the nCPX has...lead-free solder is most likely used

Trying to impose a ten-fold power upgrade will approach a doubling of the initial cost, and seems to be an effort in futility given the nCPX history...huge power will adversely affect its crash sustainability

For quite a bit less investment, you can increase performance dramatically by increasing main blade and tail motor sizes

Check out the Nano Stretch thread and enjoy the nCPS's attempt at piro comp and SAFE
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

I did a brushless conversion on my original Nano and ended up deciding to switch it back to stock. To me the value of this heli isn't in making it the best performing 3D powerhouse. It's a fun little toy for doing smooth 3D indoors or in extremely tight spaces. I always found the stock setup to be plenty for that. That is, given you can accept that the brushed motors aren't going to last forever. The Achilles heel in my mind is the board. I went through two of them, the second was flown bone stock and only lasted a few dozen flights with no crashes. So I'll be willing to give this CPS a shot, but if that board doesn't last I'll be the first one up on here talking s**t about it.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

With me living in Central Scotland, our outdoor season is pretty short lived. We see a lot of rain and wind here, so.....

I fly a lot indoors in a gym hall with a hard floor, and so for me, the sub micro helis are what I fly the most. The Nano CPX has been a favorite of mine for some time now, due to the fact that it's a tough little thing, though board damage is my most common issue, but thankfully I have the soldering skills, and the tools to repair the board most of the time.

I fly mine with a mild AD BL kit back to back with a stock CPX and the power is quite similar, or at least when the lipo is a full charge. The big difference for me between the BL and brushed motors is over all flight performance. The stock bird will start to bog just a minute into the flight, and things just go down hill from there, and as well all know, the brushed main motors just don't last long at all. By contrast, the Oversky BL motor and BL esc work very well to give me consistent power during the flight whole flight with much less bogging and only 15 seconds less flight time.

I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in a "mild" motor in this new CPS and with any luck the new board layout will help protect the board a bit better w/o making the frame more susceptible to damage. Only time will tell.

MB
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

You know I respect your opinion and micro operating skills MB, so I will be looking forward to seeing what you can do with this little guy.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
You know I respect your opinion and micro operating skills MB, so I will be looking forward to seeing what you can do with this little guy.
Thanks dude, much appreciated. The feeling is mutual my friend

I received confirmation today that I'll get my new CPS in the mail tomorrow, ahead of schedule I should at least be able to get a few indoor flights in this week, but I'll keep it stock for a little while, see how it is out the box first.

Now then, if I could only find your 180 CFX thread....... Did you bother to stretch yours yet. (sorry for going off topic people!!)

MB
Old 10-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
Thanks dude, much appreciated. The feeling is mutual my friend

I received confirmation today that I'll get my new CPS in the mail tomorrow, ahead of schedule I should at least be able to get a few indoor flights in this week, but I'll keep it stock for a little while, see how it is out the box first.

Now then, if I could only find your 180 CFX thread....... Did you bother to stretch yours yet. (sorry for going off topic people!!)

MB
I put a big-time stretch on my latest mCPX BL.
Made a 8" long tail boom (200mm???), hung the tail motor down instead of up, and put a set of 180 CFX blades on her.

She flies really big. And the blades bark... big-time.

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaFan View Post
Made a 8" long tail boom (200mm???), hung the tail motor down instead of up, and put a set of 180 CFX blades on her.

I did that with Zeal blades and it cut my flight time in half. From 4:50 stock, down to 2:20 stretch. It came down LVC unexpectedly. Did you notice similar results or are you running two batteries? The only difference is that I was using a 153mm tail. I haven't posted a pic in the BL forum yet though, but I intend to soon because it looks pretty darn cool like that/
Heli's that I currently fly: Lynx Oxy3+ {Build In Progress!}, JR Forza 450 {hangar queen}, Blade 180CFX, Blade mCPX BL {work horse}, Blade NanoCPX - Blade Nano QX, Blade NanoQX3D - Phoenix 5.5 - Spektrum DX6 - - HeliFreak is great! -
Old 10-13-2015, 02:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaFan View Post

Now THAT'S a big stretch!! Are you using fully stock electronics on it? If so, surely those Voltage Regulators (stacked) on the back of the board must be getting REALLY toastie hot?

MB
Old 10-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Jesus View Post
I did that with Zeal blades and it cut my flight time in half. From 4:50 stock, down to 2:20 stretch. It came down LVC unexpectedly. Did you notice similar results or are you running two batteries? The only difference is that I was using a 153mm tail. I haven't posted a pic in the BL forum yet though, but I intend to soon because it looks pretty darn cool like that/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
Now THAT'S a big stretch!! Are you using fully stock electronics on it? If so, surely those Voltage Regulators (stacked) on the back of the board must be getting REALLY toastie hot?

MB
I got these blades and the CF rod for the tail boom Saturday. The CF rod package was damaged, so I got 2 pieces for only $2. I thought What The Heck, I'm going to make a big, long boom and see what happens!!

I've only flown it twice since I did this. I only have to run 50% on the flat throttle curve. I didn't notice any real reduction in flight times, I just flew the usual 4:20 on E-flite 2S batteries. And I was just hovering around in the garage since it's been pretty windy here in the Buckeye State. I'll check the electronics for hot parts this evening if I get the chance.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahh, that's what I was doing so differently. I was running my normal hard sport TC that I use for FFF and now flipping. 100-93-83-93-100 for IU1 and flat 100 for IU2. I was experimenting in both modes and man does it pop with those blades!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, that could make the difference you mentioned in flight times.

I forgot you had mentioned 2 batteries. I run 2 on The Spawn at times.
This was a mCPX BL.
(I haven't gotten around to running 2 on this one yet)

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking of another battery to fix my flight time issue, but at the same time I realize I'm probably murdering the 3in1's ESC if I do that. Drawing twice the amps, I'm not sure if it can really handle that. So I'm gonna do some experimenting with the TC for a little bit and see what I can make of it.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another battery won't harm the ESC at all...it simply increases the available mAh's...the draw current and amps remain constant

It does add weight, and longer flight times (if achieved) will add motor heat...but the added flight time probably won't double as it would seem
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stretching is a good option to reduce disc loading, but these motors just don’t last.
PawnDMonium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is an analysis of where we stand as the nano CPS is getting released.

Option 1: HH brushless upgrade - Although this has not been announced I am listing it here since it was available for the nano CPX.
Pros:
- It will add the reliability lacking in the brushed motor
- It will maintain the strength and integrity of the frame
Cons:
- Added resistance if not direct soldered will affect performance
- Less performance than outrunner options

Next 4 options after somebody identifies the negative PWM signal from the main motor FET

Option 2: HH motor with BLheli flashed ESC such as the XP-3A
Pros:
- Direct solder maximizes available performance
- BLheli allows tuning and governor function
Cons:
- Less performance than outrunner options

Next 3 options would be with outrunner (i.e. Xtreme or Oversky) and BLheli compatiple ESC (i.e. XP-3A)

Option 3: Xtreme Production nano CPX carbon panel for brushless conversion
Pros:
Cons:
- Looks silly

Next 2 options are dependent on the motor clearing the 3in1 once the front support is removed.
(Can someone measure the distance from the front of the motor to the back of the 3in1?)

Option 4: Pjaq kit - The Pjaq servo spacers should provide adequate reinforcement to the frame after modification.
Pros:
Cons:
- It may compromise the integrity of the frame

Option 5: Asteroid Designs servo spacers - Lighter option than Pjaq, but may not be as strong.
Pros:
Cons:
- It may compromise the integrity of the frame
PawnDMonium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in