Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 09:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Hellboy,

How bad is it drifting? Can you use your radio trims to make it stable? Also, remember heli's will sort of move around while hovering especially the little ones, so you have to sort of spend a lot of time riding the cyclic. I wouldn't change any of your linkages unless you have used up all your available radio trim..... or after you get it set up just right, then you can go in and change your linkages and set your radio trims back to zero.

I really don't believe that your problem is in the trim or linkages, just a small heli moving around in the breezes and ground effects, etc. BUT that said, I couldn't be certain unless I was there.

Good luck and have FUN !
Hotshot Charlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 11:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Well, I got the heli set and ready for a nice flight.... then all of a sudden the HS50 tail rotor servo locked up.... dead as a doornail. Guess I am just not meant to fly this little beast. hehehee

Anyway, I am close to having a lot of fun with this rascal !
Old 09-12-2004, 04:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

thanks for the input hotshot, i do fly on one of our soundstages (no breezes)
i have it pretty trimmed up and this being my first heli, the drifting might seem overly excessive to me by it does drift quite a bit, is there a micro heli group or club in california that you guys can reccomend? i would like to join, who knows... THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE ROTORCRAFT could help me out.
any way thanks for the help and i will master this machine.......
(already replaced..2sets of main blades, main shaft, tail boom, bearings,3 tail gears, 2nd motor, carbon drive shaft and on and on...
Hellboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

one more question .....
my main gear moves up and down on the oneway bearing,how was this gear fixed in the first place ....if it was press fit and isnt now...it would spin free, there is now grub to tighten what the hell.....help
Old 09-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

You can always get an additional collar from the hobby store and use it on top of the main gear if you feel it is needed. Just remember not to let it bind anything up by being too tight against the main gear.
Sar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 09:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hellboy: On mine, many of the ball links and levers were very stiff. This might cause the drifting because the controls can't center properly due to the stiffness. Go over the entire control system and look for any binding or excess friction. That ought to help with the drifting.

HotShot: My current pitch curves are -7, -3, 0, +3, +7. I run a flat throttle curve of 90% in idle up. I'm going to try 100% on the throttle and about 1/2 degree less pitch. I've been testing some new carbon blades and they have a lot more bite than the stock foamies.
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 AM   #27 (permalink)

the main gear houses the bearing, a shaft collar wiil not fit
Old 09-14-2004, 07:55 AM   #28 (permalink)

Default New Info

Ok gang,

Got a maiden flight in on my driveway yesterday. All went very well.... almost !

Remember that little pin that you make sure to glue in in the tail slider???? WELL, even with glueing with thick hotstuff, it came loose, fell out and I think all of you know what happens when that happens???? Violent tail spin rotations while I landed it. Well the only damage was that I stripped the tail gear when it sat down in the grass, just off the side of the driveway. My first set of gears. I do have a heavy duty set coming for it.

BTW, I have now replaced the pin with a screw and it is glued in place. :crazy

My phone system at home got hit by lightning and I am without internet and phone service right now.... I will update with pictures when I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shogun_22.jpg (104.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 09-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pisser Rob! Sorry to hear that.
j
StrangeRanger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2004, 09:47 AM   #30 (permalink)

My HF Map location

THat sucks Rob. Not having net and phones is rough to.

Let us know how the screw does.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #31 (permalink)

Hey no biggie.... just gotta get some spare parts. I gotta get phone back working soon. No internet at home, no phone. Supposed to be fixed later today.

I think the little Shogun will fly great after I get through with getting it set up.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

Ok gang, new photos have been put in the orginal post. I have gone to a stubby antenna and installed the Ultem Gears on my beast. Wx permitting, it will fly (hopefully) tomorrow.

Check out the added info to the first post and wish me luck. I am about tired of working on this little beast !
Old 09-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob,

I have flown mine some more with the belt drive. It is definately worth the aggravation. I no longer worry about the tail suddenly letting go! I've now tied my record of three consecutive flights without something breaking!! :mrgreen:
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2004, 08:48 AM   #34 (permalink)

Hey Rob,

I am sure it (belt) is better than the gears I bought, but I will give the gears a chance and see what happens. I will try to see if I can fly it today without another crash. Nothing fancy today, I will fill successful with just a little hover time.

One thing about the Shogun, in it's stock state, it is delicate.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #35 (permalink)

Well folks, it flies.... check out the series of photos in my orginal post. I am not totally a happy camper, but a lot closer than I have been.

The main point I would like to make with the micro heli's is..... you must have...
A LOT OF PATIENCE !!!

There are fun and a definite answer to some people's flying situations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shogun_28.jpg (187.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 PM   #36 (permalink)

hey Hotshot Charlie, you have alot of catching up to do. I have about 40 flights on my little pest. Just giving you a hard time man :wink:
vinrx7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

HotShot,

how can I use a screw on that part of the tail that insists to fall and not holding it in

place. I mean, isnīt it too much pressure for a part that needs to swing?
Pipefish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2004, 04:03 PM   #38 (permalink)

Hi Pipefish,

Not sure what you are refering to, but if it is the entire tail assembly, yu will need to put a set screw through the housing and into the tail boom. Be sure not to drill through the tail boom into the carbon fiber drive shaft !!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:05 PM   #39 (permalink)

Hey vinRX7,

I gave up and traded my Shogun to a buddy. I really didn't give up, but needed the funds to buy my Stinger, so ended up "moving" priorities around.

Ya'll have fun with the little beasts !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in