Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 400 head up-grades

Ok guys....65mg, 401 with 5084 hear.

My plastic head is getting some slop in it and was looking at rebuilding it. Looked at the sonix head and tail....$110.00 and the clone trex 450 heads and tails....exi is $40 or $50 I do believe.

Has anyone tried the exi head on the blade 400. I tried the search and didn't find too much.

Truth is.....I hate to spend $110.00 on the blade when you can get a trex sport for $250.00 then sell off the blade motor and speed and the rest for parts and be within $50.00 of the same money.

I love my blade but she is in need of some maintenance. Is the exi head any good on the blade 400 or do you just bite the bullet and go for sonix?
tomd27858 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would not do either.

I've flown a variety of B400's, Sonix head, micro heli, all eflight aluminum, and a trex conversion. The only one that seemed "better" was the one with the trex 450 head, it felt a bit smoother but didn't really make it perform any better.

I would just replace stock plastic parts and enjoy it for what it is, maybe buy a nicer bird later. If you start flying with higher headspeed or a hotter motor go with aluminum blade grips.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are numerous people on here that have the sonix head and tail from cncheli and they all agree that it is quality equipment well worth getting. I'm sure several of them will reply.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the honest do neither answer.....LOL!

Still beating my head against the wall though.

It is hard to believe the sonix head and tail is over a hundred dollars. For $150 I can move my electronics and part out what I have and order a trex. I do like my blade though. She is a light flyer compared to my son's V2. But the V2 sounds like a sewing machine.

I guess I was hoping that the EXI head was just as good at the sonix. $40 for head and tail is a no brainer.....even for me.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with Desolas 100%. Each time I have tried to upgrade a bird with CNC it has led to trouble. Stock plastic is the way to go IMO.
Blade mSR
Blade 400
Magnumlaw3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

"I would not do either...I would just replace stock plastic parts and enjoy it for what it is, maybe buy a nicer bird later."
Agreed.
Aluminium is for show. If you can manage to keep the bird from impacting with the ground 20 flights out of 20, then you may consider the bling, but don't expect revolutionary flight improvement. Replace worn stock parts with stock parts and fly the B400 for what it is. Save your penny's and increase your collection. You'll crash eventually.

my 2¢

Fat Corgi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on stock head, plastic is cheap to replace. I fly it like I stole it, crash ever 10 flights or so, replace the parts for very little and fly it like it's stolen again....

I understand the temptation to go go 'shiny', I feel it myself an almost went for a trex 450 sport recently, but in the end priced up the cost of crashing and stayed with the Blade where I can push the envelope of my mediocre skills at an affordable repair level..
ginger-air is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have use th Sonix Head and manage to crash once (Rough landing with Stile)
Any wais the sonix head was in perfect conditions! Nothing to change or replace except the main shaft.
Is awesome quality. My vote goes for the Sonix head.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm with tomd on this one. I dont see the point in spending £130 on sonix upgrades when you can get a whole Trex 450 Sport for £150, move your electrics over and then sell the Blade.

Look at my thread about this

I'm ordering my 450 Sport soon and will be selling my Blade 400.
damage2008 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I see no point in dumping $150 or more into an airframe that without electronics is worth less than $150. Especially when it doesn't significantly increase the models performance.

For similar money you can buy a good used higher end kit. I bought two Beams for $200. If you want an improvement in performance you really need a different airframe.

I am not dissing the B400; I love it for what it is. Flying it is like going over to dinner with my unrefined redneck cousin, little sloppy and pretty loud, but mostly enjoyable.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

great honest info guys.

Looks likes the stock blade stays with a stock head. I am not unhappy with the Blade at all. Most at the flying field are surprised how nice it flies. The good gyro and servos make it a very nice bird.

The V2 my son has is shiny and has more power but the Blade can out fly both of us.

Thank you for the honest input and saving me a bunch of money. I would have been disappointed in shiny for $110.00 without a wow! improvement on flight performance.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anybody besides me experience the Sonix head here?
It is not valid if you have no experience! The Sonix Head/Tail system increase performance in my heli this was not for bling but for stability and precision.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev400 View Post
Has anybody besides me experience the Sonix head here?
It is not valid if you have no experience! The Sonix Head/Tail system increase performance in my heli this was not for bling but for stability and precision.
I don't use the sonix stuff don't even know if its worth it .. Dev you always talk about it .. show us a video of how smooth it is .. as of right now.. no its not the same but heck i got a hk 450 all aluminum set.. yes it looks better yes it holds n a hit.. but smoothness show me man bcus right now I think if its set up nicely it will b just fine.. now if you have grown to some other level in your fyling prowess and you NEED the precision and stability.. then show me how its added please instead of jus rantin on the board BUY SONIX its the best nothing better.. I have no need in wastin money for nothing and while I am not saying its NOT smoother show me / us what you are saying. now if all you can tell me is buy it and you will see.. hell i'll keep my plastic stuff and spend a couple bucks when i bust it up and be right back in the air
(for the record.. i have not broken a plastic part yet.. flybar rods mains n spindles.. O lost a rod link once.. but not a blade grip mixer arm to date) and yes my bad crash is on video on youtube you can see how hard it hit and nothing plastic broke
ZMR 250
Dazhim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazhim View Post
I don't use the sonix stuff don't even know if its worth it .. Dev you always talk about it .. show us a video of how smooth it is .. as of right now.. no its not the same but heck i got a hk 450 all aluminum set.. yes it looks better yes it holds n a hit.. but smoothness show me man bcus right now I think if its set up nicely it will b just fine.. now if you have grown to some other level in your fyling prowess and you NEED the precision and stability.. then show me how its added please instead of jus rantin on the board BUY SONIX its the best nothing better.. I have no need in wastin money for nothing and while I am not saying its NOT smoother show me / us what you are saying. now if all you can tell me is buy it and you will see.. hell i'll keep my plastic stuff and spend a couple bucks when i bust it up and be right back in the air
(for the record.. i have not broken a plastic part yet.. flybar rods mains n spindles.. O lost a rod link once.. but not a blade grip mixer arm to date) and yes my bad crash is on video on youtube you can see how hard it hit and nothing plastic broke
I am sorry but you aint calling me out on pure BS. I have never talk about it. I have only posted about it twice if not any.... WoW I mean seriously a video to see how smooth it is? Use your common sense that can only be archived by the feel in response on the heli while you are flying it. I do not go off about BUY SONIX so lay off me and go play with your heli. It is this type of post like yours that makes this place somethings just... What ever... o and for the RECORD I only give my opinion base on experience nothing more and nothing less.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev400 View Post
I am sorry but you aint calling me out on pure BS. I have never talk about it. I have only posted about it twice if not any.... WoW I mean seriously a video to see how smooth it is? Use your common sense that can only be archived by the feel in response on the heli while you are flying it. I do not go off about BUY SONIX so lay off me and go play with your heli. It is this type of post like yours that makes this place somethings just... What ever... o and for the RECORD I only give my opinion base on experience nothing more and nothing less.
Man you put way to much into it.. lol. this is the internet.. call you out??..
OK look its like this. On more then one occasion you have spoke of this set up.
I dont have a Sonix set up or anything that you have.. but when it was all together I was more then proud of it. So much so That yes I video'd it hey to be honest I upgraded my ESC because of you .. so I have no malice towards you sir. I didnt go ICE 50 .. but I went phoenix 35 and a CC bec. and you were right it did.."change" certain characteristics in my heli so thank you. Now with all you do have in your heli.. I can see how mine is differetn from the stock set up.. but I myself would love to see how your bird flies with those kinds of modifications.. I would truly,,, so no its not a call out more of.. ok can i see bcus mayb if I did this mayb i can get that much more out of my heli.. plus I only can think of 2 people with the set up .. one is a mayb and i KNOW you have it so .. if u took my curiosity as callin u out .. my apologies wasnt meant that way. So back to the topic..
Are you gonna show me??? no ill wills
ZMR 250
Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I just bought me a Trex 450 Sport
damage2008 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage2008 View Post
Awesome!
I am sure you wont be disappointed!

Take care and good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazhim View Post
Man you put way to much into it.. lol. this is the internet.. call you out??..
OK look its like this. On more then one occasion you have spoke of this set up.
I dont have a Sonix set up or anything that you have.. but when it was all together I was more then proud of it. So much so That yes I video'd it hey to be honest I upgraded my ESC because of you .. so I have no malice towards you sir. I didnt go ICE 50 .. but I went phoenix 35 and a CC bec. and you were right it did.."change" certain characteristics in my heli so thank you. Now with all you do have in your heli.. I can see how mine is differetn from the stock set up.. but I myself would love to see how your bird flies with those kinds of modifications.. I would truly,,, so no its not a call out more of.. ok can i see bcus mayb if I did this mayb i can get that much more out of my heli.. plus I only can think of 2 people with the set up .. one is a mayb and i KNOW you have it so .. if u took my curiosity as callin u out .. my apologies wasnt meant that way. So back to the topic..
Are you gonna show me??? no ill wills
Got it. Hey I hear you and I shouldn't have take it that way any wais. I will post a vid though Sorry and back to the topic.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage2008 View Post
Congrats dude.. hey since u pulled the trigger. I'm gonna have some questions for you too.. PM ok? as they will b off topic?
ZMR 250
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sonix Head and tail.. Worth every penny.. I'll try to get a video this week of my blade in a hover.. I'm flying the head/tail and a CNC Heli CF frame.. All slop is gone.. no vibes (even the horizontal fin "blur" is gone).. The heli is VERY precise and actually flies in some respect like my TRex600.. (Doesn't have the power obviously) but it is a great flying helicopter..

Of course I don't plan to buy another 450 size heli.. The blade is fine for what I needed it for, and Now I'm really happy having a great flying 400 class helicopter..

Oh, and I've hit the dirt with my head/tail setup at LEAST 4-5 times now.. quite hard twice.. few feathering shafts, and a few main shafts, and a handfull of flybars.. Sonix stuff is some "tough shit"!
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in