Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
cd5
Registered Users

Default E.S.C upgrade advice for trex 450 se

I am looking to upgrade the standarad 35g esc into something a bit better and have no idea what to get . I run the xl motor and use flight power evo 25 2170 batteries. I am getting into 3d and i hate bogging the engine.
Should i use a 45 amp system. Where i live it gets real hot in summer. ie 40 degrees c plus. So this is why i want a system with plenty of headroom. I am thinking castle creations have a good rep but am not sure which one is best suited.
If you could recomend a few esc and where is a good place to get them from that would be great.
Thanks heaps
cd5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Go the Kontronic Jazz 40-6-18, is a little more expensive but it does a great job. It has a very good internal SBEC and runs the servos at 6.0V (nice and fast) the govenor is amazing at keeping the HS where it is set.

You can get them from http://www.modelflight.com.au/kontro...controller.htm

Or go hunting them down on the net.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your conscerned about bogging the motor you may want to reconsider your options . The 430XL motor is power hungry . The Jazz ESC, that is the best of the best speed controllers out there and its the one you want if you go that way , but its 200 bucks or so , dont quote me but it aint 99 dollars thats for sure .

the other idea would be to try a different motor . Im using the JGF500TH ( I think its around 75 bucks ) and for my buck it outperforms the 430XL . I run it on the Align 35G stock controller with 15 C TP 2100 batts on 14 tooth, throttle at 90%flat in idle up, I have tried the throttle set higher ,closer to 98% and it was scarey to the point where I thought it might explode from all the energy . This combo is extreme and I cant get it to bog even in full pitch climbout. Im getting 6.5 min flight times . Everyone who has seen my heli fly are surprised how powerful my T-REX is .

Look up justgofly on the web and watch the video of Leon Lukes T-REX using the JGF500TH on 15 tooth , now thats MAD . Its my understanding that the design idea behind this motor was "no bog on 3S"
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'ld check into the Hyperion line as well as CC to keep costs reasonable. Hyperions have a switching BEC as well to keep heat down.
cflight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

JAZZ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

thats awsome steve 28 , 6.5 min with no bog on 15c 2100mAh,WOW what head speed are you running?

I run the 500th on a Jazz on 16c 2100mAh 4s on 11t and i still get some bog with a head speed of 3080.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am happy with my CC35.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 has a 5.2 Volt BEC. Measured because it's not listed in the specs.
jaron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wardy ,

the 500 is designed with higher pinion teeth counts , by running an 11 tooth the only thing I can think of is that your not running the motor near the right torque % .

because your running a much lower pinion your headspeed isnt high enough for your pitch range and thats why you are getting bogging . Getting the headspeed higher should solve this .

using the headspeed calc at readyheli using the 14 tooth I get 3152 rpm
using the 11 tooth youd get 2476 rpm

2476 rpm is too low, bog city .

The JGF 500TH is more efficient at the higher headspeeds try the 14 tooth and run it around 90 % and you should get similar results as me .
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hes running a 4s as opposed to a 3s Li Po, more voltage = more headspeed, that would explain the lower tooth count pinion.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

gotcha ,
Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep , 3080 Hs measured with my top end optical engineers tack , This is at Gov 65% with 0 pitch, I spool up at center throttle stick every flight to ensure head speed is always the same . I get 6.5 min and put back 71% and my packs are just warm . She bogs a little on full stick climb outs with max pitch at 11.5 deg and bogs a bit more when I'm really stick banging . I wonder if there is such a thing as completely bog less , do you think I would get better results with a 10t and higher throttle setting or 12t and more head room ? At present my head speed is the same when i land as it was when I take of and bat motor and esc are hardly warm so I could get way more out of it but does that mean I would end up with a head speed of 3400 trying to utilise the power? :twisted:
Sorry for getting of topic
Old 06-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure you are using CF blades at that speed

**When you start to be in complete control reflexes are not a requirement.**
s0laris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in