Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: could RC heli flying, and competitive 3d flying in particular, be considered a sport
yes 99 33.00%
no 159 53.00%
depends on pilot and activity 42 14.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I like that

So when Dicks Sporting Goods starts to sell RC Helis...

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

You can be a good sport for losing a competition flying RC Helis for sport without it being a sport.
interesting so the grammatical context of the word changes its reference, i guess i could see that, but my question still stands, nascar? marksmanship? pool? darts? all dexterity based rather than physical, are they sports?
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Freak View Post
Enter dictionary.com:

Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

For me it's definitely all three of these!
so dictionary.com settles it for me, if fishing counts.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nascar is very physically demanding. I dont watch but driving can be very mentally and physically challenging.

Sport (noun) - physical activity engaged in for pleasure : particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

I dont quite see the connection to model RC helicopters...or poker

Yes it takes dexterity and coordination but so does mowing a lawn or washing dishes. Some people might even enjoy those activities (i dont) but it doesnt make them a sport. You can have competition without "sport" as well...video games, chess, shoots and ladders...i think people use the word sport (noun) to haphazardly and it now can cover anything.

Hobby - pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in usually for relaxation

I classify this as a hobby. A challenging hobby but a hobby. Although it can be challenging i do find it relaxes me by putting my focus on something outside my normal stresses. A sport can be hobby as well but due to the majority of this hobby being mentally challenging i dont feel it fits definition of "sport".

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Monkey View Post
interesting so the grammatical context of the word changes its reference, i guess i could see that, but my question still stands, nascar? marksmanship? pool? darts? all dexterity based rather than physical, are they sports?
Apparently sport is just a name people stick on any activity they want.

Chess is a recognized sport by the International Olympic Committee[3] with FIDE being the recognized International Sports Federation for chess since June 1999.[3][4][5][6] As a member of the International Olympic Committee, FIDE adheres to its rules, including controversially having doping tests.[7][8][9][10] The prospects of chess becoming an Olympic sporting event at some future date remain unclear. The naming of FIDE's team championship as the "Chess Olympiad" is of historical origin and implies no connection between this event and the Olympic Games.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Chess is a recognized sport by the International Olympic Committee[3] with FIDE being the recognized International Sports Federation for chess since June 1999.[3][4][5][6] As a member of the International Olympic Committee, FIDE adheres to its rules, including controversially having doping tests.[7][8][9][10] The prospects of chess becoming an Olympic sporting event at some future date remain unclear. The naming of FIDE's team championship as the "Chess Olympiad" is of historical origin and implies no connection between this event and the Olympic Games.

if chess is a sport, what we do would be Xtreme sports. what we do is definitely a sport if you are competing, if not competing i am not sure if it would be a sport or not.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Let's vote on it

Wikipedia defines:

Sport is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals.
Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, actvities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports,[4][5] although limits the amount of mind games which can be admitted as sports.[1]

A hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time.

----------------------------------------

Depending on interpretation I think some might classify it as a sport but I personally consider it a hobby. Think the OP should add a vote to the thread!

In any case, as long as you have fun doing it, who cares what it's classifed as
Blade Nano CP X, Blade mCP X, Blade mCP X BL, Blade 130X, Blade 450x, Align 450e FB, Align 500e FB, Align 500e FBL(BeastX), Align 550e FBL(3GX), Blade 550x(Beastx), Align 600e FB, Align 700e FBL(BeastX), Walkera QR X350 Spektrum DX8
BermyMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BermyMan View Post
In any case, as long as you have fun doing it, who cares what it's classifed as
+1
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you feel the need to try to justify calling it a sport you should probably get more exercise and actually play a sport.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to "The American Heritage Dictionary": Sport 1) An active pastime; recreation. 2. A specific diversion, usually involving physical exercise and having a set form and body of rules; game.

So by definition 1) it is a sport and by definition 2) it may or may not be a sport.

I think it all depends on the context an activity is done in that determines if it is a sport, or an activity or a hobby. If I go out for a bike ride on or off road that is not really a sport. If however, I compete in a bike race then I would consider it a sport. I can shoot hoops in my driveway that is an activity. If I play basketball on a team and compete against other teams then it is a sport. If I fly my helis purely for entertainment then it probably is not a sport but if I am a sponsered team pilot and compete in competitions and make my living at it then I would consider it a sport.
jfluegel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
If you feel the need to try to justify calling it a sport you should probably get more exercise and actually play a sport.
lol, its all just semantics buddy and i for one am very physically active. no need to be mean. wonder if trolling is a sport?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Monkey View Post
So if i buy a baseball from a toy store is the game i play with it not a sport?
You're buying it from the sporting goods section, c'mon now.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

wait, i like this... so if i buy a gun from the sporting goods section, does that mean i get to hunt people for sport? think im gonna go buy an island somewhere...
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

wiki e-sports, times have changed
03silver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember watching a darts match on tv many years ago and the commentator called one of the dart throwers an athlete! To make it worse the player was sculling pints of beer and smoking the whole way through! Now if people call darts a sport, Iam sure as hell is going to call Rc flying a sport!
grumpy1977 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

not a sport. Maybe if you fly while running a mile around a track. Or if your into F3N, F3C. Not just 3D, anyone can throw a heli around and call it 3D but to do it with precision such as F3N
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
No sports involve a remote control.
I disagree entirely. Serious fighting game competition is just as much a sport as billiards. I believe helis are a sport as well. Sport and hobby are not mutually exclusive.

Ever watch high level competition for dancing video games? They're considerably more athletically intensive than, say, baseball. But they involve a controller so they can't be a sport? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSFSbXeGc4[/ame]

Really though this is boiling down to semantics and the assertion that the word "sport" relates exclusively to physically demanding activities. Helis are just as legit an interest as basketball, and you can approach both with whatever level of serious you choose to. The more seriously you take it the more seriously you will be taken.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03silver View Post
wiki e-sports, times have changed
Validating anything through Wikipedia is a stretch, just saying.

I'm not even going to entertain the hunting people comment, it's just getting silly now. How about a toy vs. not toy thread, seeing this topic reminds me that we're due or one of them also.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is trolling on Internet forums considered a sport too?
Busa rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, don't be silly. We fly toy helicopters, that's all we do. Fun, sure, lots of it. Special, sport, no.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it seems from the various dictionary definitions and sports listed that it is not a sport in true form as there is no physical connection to the object being used though not expressly stated. However, technology often challenges these older definitions to update as well. I suppose you can shoe horn it in somehow but either way it's not the best or most accurate choice.

Hobby seems to be the best word here. I see no negative connotation here.

Words like pursuit, challenge, entertainment, pastime, competition, event, work well

Team Compass Pilot
Scott Bowersox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in