Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Header Tank or Not ?

Guys, i am thinking of fitting a header tank for my 600 nitro, is this really neccessary ?
jdesa3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use omi fuel magnet instead. Or put one on for fun. I like having the extra fuel and land when my main tank is nearly empty.
srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

While it may not be necessary I think it is a good idea. Run you main tank empty and land while the header tank fuel level just starts to go down. The fuel magnet seems troublesome to me. Having to do maintenance on the foam piece so often. The OS Bubbless clunk looks better, although I have never used one. My header tank negates the need for the magnet or bubbless clunks.

If you get a header tank stay away from the Hayes one. I am on my second one that leaks around the rubber stopper / metal collar. As soon as I place an order for other parts I will also buy a different brand of header tank.

Here is the one that I have had two bad ones:
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=801649
Note that I did not get the one with the mounting bracket, just the header tank by itself. I use double sided foam tape to attach the header tank to the main tank.

Bob
Bayward is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say yes for a variety of reasons all of them good
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

guys, i do have a new Sullivan 2 ounce tank in my workshop, how would this go as a header ? also how do you work out the plumbing ? from the single tank to dual tanks set up .
jdesa3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdesa3 View Post
guys, i do have a new Sullivan 2 ounce tank in my workshop, how would this go as a header ? also how do you work out the plumbing ? from the single tank to dual tanks set up .
Here is a pic. that you can just use for reference. I mounted mine with double sided 3m tape, and silicone around the header.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user69620_pic15256_1237108697.jpg
Views:	1312
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	112941  
Futaba 8FG - Bls251 - 8900G
UfcGuy39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another picture, a better one. The last one isn't my setup. Attached the wrong one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuckonheader.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	112942  
Futaba 8FG - Bls251 - 8900G
UfcGuy39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob be carefull without the actuall header tank mount, I used to have mine mounted that way untill it fell off in mid flight . I also crashed with it mounted like that and it came off and went into the spinning blades which cut the headertank in two and doused the whole heli in fuel including the electronics.

Jdesa3, if you use a header tank, mount it the right way and use a bracket. The nitro will start to eat the tape or get between the mounting surfaces causing it to weaken its hold.
RJ79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a Raptor 2oz header and made a plastic standoff from a canopy mount. Ideally you'd like a setup where the header tank will come off in a crash as this will prevent a chicken dance. I've seen others with more robust installation, but mine is setup to break in a crash and I'll Ieave it that way thank you very much.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER View Post
I used a Raptor 2oz header and made a plastic standoff from a canopy mount. Ideally you'd like a setup where the header tank will come off in a crash as this will prevent a chicken dance. I've seen others with more robust installation, but mine is setup to break in a crash and I'll Ieave it that way thank you very much.

Not a bad idea as long as the fuel lines come off in the crash as well, otherwise it will do no good, but you are using a more robust method than tape, I was just advising not to use tape to secure a header tank
RJ79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

is it best to get the quick uk header tank with the holder? i have just got a standard tank with velcro holding it on.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ79 View Post
Not a bad idea as long as the fuel lines come off in the crash as well, otherwise it will do no good, but you are using a more robust method than tape, I was just advising not to use tape to secure a header tank
Good point. I was just visualizing my heli doing a chicken dance with the header loose but the fuel lines still connected. Not a pretty thought.

I put the standoff on the bottom and used some velcro on the tank to keep the orientation constant.

Last edited by Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER; 08-31-2009 at 04:45 PM..
Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward View Post
If you get a header tank stay away from the Hayes one. I am on my second one that leaks around the rubber stopper / metal collar. As soon as I place an order for other parts I will also buy a different brand of header tank.

Here is the one that I have had two bad ones:
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=801649
Note that I did not get the one with the mounting bracket, just the header tank by itself. I use double sided foam tape to attach the header tank to the main tank.
I agree. I have one of those tanks too and it leaks like crazy for the first couple of tanks. After a couple of tanks, the rubber swells and it seals up. I need to replace it.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My TT header tank leaked around the bung as well untill I fit it with the align bunk sized for the main tank. A bit more of a pain getting it in and out. But no leaks.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

That 3M outdoor tape I removed my header today and it was nearly impossible. You can literally pickup the heli from the header tank and shake it. This is after 40-50 flights and it was got plenty of nitro on it during it's lifetime.

I'm gonna try flying without a header for now. I do have one question I'm using an OMI fuel magnet and Hayes clunk line. I'm finding when you invert the heli the clunk won't hit the top of the tank it sort of floats in place. It also won't move side to side at all, I'm assuming this is normal for such a light clunk?
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm running the same setup and I think that's normal. If the engine starts to sputter AT ALL, it's time to land because it's out of fuel. I have no problems hovering inverted, even w/ 1/4 tank or less.

FWIW, I'm running a YS50 w/ crankcase pressure.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

I think it is a good idea.
When your main tank is empty you have an extra time to land.
I use one from Thunder Tiger and it is very resistant.
ricbr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is where I mounted my header tank using the supplied bracket and 80kg para-tack, and it worked great, except it gets real dirty and oily down there so I put it back on the side bracket. For about $15 I think it is a good idea to get one and it's relatively easy to install.

Last edited by Mikhaelt; 09-05-2009 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: my pic did not show up
Mikhaelt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

"Double sided foam tape" is not the same thing as the 3M Indoor/Outdoor tape. 3M is good stuff, mine is still stuck like day 1.

A bracket is another option
drb2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was also hesitating quite often and after now 50 flights with the header tank I am very satisfied. Especially when you are doing 3D.

Arnaud
Arno29f is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in