Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters

Hirobo Nitro Helicopters Hirobo Freya Evo Eagle Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How do I make my Freya fly like a Fury?

Buy a Fury!

Seriously.. Is anyone doing pushover autos with a Freya? I've had my freya for a couple of gallons now and two conclusions I've come up with are a> the Freya will never auto as good as my Fury did and b> you can't beat CCPM when it comes to collective response and authority. I think it is a clash between my chosen flying style and the intent of the Freya's designer.

Also I miss the whine of the tail drive in the Fury during autos. I should have just posted this in the MinAir forum! Sorry Pete :?

steve
ZZ3Astro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Want me to morve it for you Steve?

Thank you,
Old 04-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Upgrades.....

Seriously I have owned both now and I have to admit I really like my Extreme, but I don't like the idea of the $$$$ in my Extreme. If I hadn't won the kit I would have bought another Freya for sure.

Anyhow the torque tube drive for the Freya is a nice option. I have flown one and can tell you it does make the tail less draggy.

I have also flown a CCPM X-spec head to head with a Fury Extreme (same motors, pipe, electronics, blades etc...) and I found the CCPM X-Spec to be a nicer feel than the Fury.

I am hooked on CCPM though. I really like the snappiness you get in the collective and cyclic on the X-Spec with CCPM.

The kit is spendy, but I think if you flew one with CCPM you would find it to be similar if not better (Freyas just plain track better IMO ) than your Fury.
fitenfyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

steve the freya with the right setup will fly just as good as a fury. First thing for good collective response you will have to use a high end power servo like a Airtronics 94758 or a futaba 9350 and there is the daddy of all pitch servos the KoPro 2123 servo. Most of these servos will give you awesome collective response as you get with ccpm but will come at a cost. Most of them are mah suckers so a big battery will be needed.

As for 3D autos the freya can do them just fine. check out the vid

http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuf...dwithXspec.zip

http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuf...anos_Xspec.zip

Chris
Sluggo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

WOW!! Thanks for posting the links to the videos Chris. Panos is great. Somebody should invite him over here ASAP.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is a couple of me flying my X-spec

http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuf...ct03ws.wmv.zip

http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuf...oFreya.wmv.zip

Ya I sent Panos a invit here when I was on the phone with him tonight. The freya is a great heli and I miss mine alot, who knows maybe I will fly them again some day soon.

Chris
Old 04-06-2004, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ok fine but those are X-Specs.. I have a regular Freya. The point being you are well into X-Cell $$ territory to get the same type of performance.. and that most of that performance is coming from the weight decrease of the X-Spec.

And that last Freya video from Sluggo has a metal head block so probably has some more X-Spec goodies on it.

(btw no need to move this post, I was just referring to something that probably would have happened at this other site about helis :o )
Old 04-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Apples and Oranges..

The box stock Freya was/is not meant to compare to the Extreme and against the Expert it has the weight draw back that the X-spec addressed.

They are differnt ships and IMO you will not get a Freya to fly like a Fury and vise versa.

If the Freya doesn't fit your style then look at the X-spec or go back to the Fury.

I would only let my Extreme go for an X-spec (so would alot of other pilots ), but if you understand the Freya's limitations in the 60/70 kit form then it is a fine helicopter. You just cannot compare it directly to a Fury and expect the same results.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok I see what you are saying Steve. The thing is the freya is a $450.00 heli and the fury is a $850.00 heli so there is going to be some differences.

Maybe call up or email Jeff Green and tell him your concerns I bet he will help you out. I have flown both and they are both great heli's but as Jason said they are different.

Chris
Old 04-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

There's a funny story as to how I ended up with this Freya. I wasn't even planning on building a big block yet (you know, just got married and all those expenses). It sorta just arrived at my door so I was forced to build it and you know how its bad to have a built frame sitting on your bench.. so then I had no choice but to order all the parts to get it in the air.

So far I enjoy flying the Freya.. it certainly gets more airtime than my 50 now. It will do until I have the spare change and then I'll be looking towards an Extreme most likely.

Really the Freya might be a $479 to start with but a few things need to be done to make it work with the 91.. new pinion and delrin gear at an absolute minimum ($50 if you get in on the deal I believe). A third bearing support is highly recommended as well $30+. One could argue the absolute need for push-pull collective but c'mon we're talking 91 power and one servo doing what three do on the extreme. $40. Finally, you need a better servo on collective than a 9252 or equiv. These typically run around $100 (I spent $140 on my 92359z). So there is about $25

Savings.. Since you can run 680's on the Freya you do save about $25 on blades over 710s..

So you have a $600 ($640 in my case) heli vs a $850.

steve
Old 04-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So how are things going now that you've had more time on the Freya? To be honest, if you are going to compare the Extreme to the Freya, you really should compare it to the X-Spec version. Seems to me the X-Spec was Hirobo's answer to the Extreme.

Wish I could afford a Fury to see what all the hype is about. Crash costs have me scared out of my mind though. Valid concern when you fly like I do
Kinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Addicting...

You are not missing much. The Freya with a big block flies great.
I have to admit though my Extreme is just a bit more aglie than my Freya was. However I didn't have a BB in my Freya.

With the correct setup and such the X-spec will fly as well (better at some things) than a Furby.

The crash cost though are a different story. If you didn't have to dump 50.00 for a canopy on the Furby most of the time it wouldn't be as bad.
The rest of the parts are comprable IMO.
Downtime is much less on a Freya. I could rebuild a crashed Freya in about 1/3 the time it will take me to do a Furby.

Both are great ships. Don't feel like you are missing anything by not owning one.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Jason,

Have you tried a set of the Carbon Extreme dampners on your Freya? Seems like they are pretty popular with the 3D guys because they give the Freya the nice crisp 3D response without losing the stability the Freya is known for. (This is what I've been reading anyway.......)

I've got a set installed on my Freya 70, but she hasn't seen the air yet. Going to wait until I have a firmer grasp on 3D before jumping into the 60 class.

Later,

Mike
Old 04-09-2004, 02:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My recipe:

Plastic fantastic Freya.
Metal yoke.
80durometer dampers (will try the CX´s some day)
9350 on collective.
YS91.

Its criiisp
Old 04-09-2004, 05:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Mr. Noodles.......glad to see you've made it over here
Old 04-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default Kinger

I think your grasp on 3d is just fine....time to translate it to the 70
Splattt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default No..

Kinger,
I sold my Freya last summer as I didn't have a decent field at the time to fly her. Since then my Club took out a bunch of trees and now the field is great. Now I wish I had it back.

I have flown a couple with the 80 durometers in and they do help.
The real ticket is the X-spec if you want to 3D a Freya. All the little things add up to one big fun.

For now due to $$$$ I will stick to my paid for Furby.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Aerobatic Autos

ZZ, yes the regular Freya can do push over low autos and multiple rolling auto's as well as sopme 30' high Andy W. autos (1/4 pushover with a vertical piro to tail first auto).

I've done them many times..

I also agree it definately doesn't have the hang time like the Fury. Due in part to the belt and weight of a standard Freya. I'm pretty sure if you want the aerobatic performance in the auto's likea Fury, just upgrade to the lighter X-Spec and add a TT.

www.CebuSportFishing.com
www.e-AccessBPO.com
BigRob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in